Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • The Shame Of Commuting
  • GrahamS

My once proud mountain bike has been reduced to trundling along flat urban cycle paths in this ridiculous outfit:

Skinny reflective tyres, mudguards (front & rear), bell, lights, phone holder, oversize saddlebag…. ooh the inhumanity.

I feel sorry for her, but it’s not like we get out into the hills much these days. At least this way we can still spend some time together.

Share my pain by posting pics of how you have shamefully degraded your own bike for the sake of your commuting pleasure. 😀

saxabar
    Free Member

Ha, yes, I don’t have pics to hand, but my once proud Marin Nail Trail, a veteran of the Alps no less, is also reduced to skinny tyres, plastic crap on the back and a bottleholder. It was the tyres wot did it though – welcome to Dorksville.

njee20
    Free Member

I bought a road bike.

mustard
    Free Member

phone holder

🙄

miketually
    Free Member

My current commuter has 2.25″ knobbly tyres. Resistance training…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

What njee said – basically, you don’t have enough bikes…. 😉

GrahamS

mustard: yeah I know. 😕

But I track my commutes on Endomondo, so my phone is effectively my bike computer. Plus it means I don’t have to stop and get it out the bag if I get a text/call and I have the option of listening to some tunes. 🙂

GrahamS

basically, you don’t have enough bikes

Agreed. Sadly I don’t have enough shed space or money either 😀

iainc

how do you unclip the carradice with that mudguard there ?

binners

njee20 – I’ve also bought a road bike. But that’s as far as I’m prepared to go. Its sits unloved amongst the ‘proper’ bikes. Mudguards? Bell? Reflective strips? Panniers? Lycra?

Up yours grandad!

jp-t853

My Cove Handjob has gone the same way skinny tyres, bar ends, mudguards & panniers but I love it (I will post some pics tomorrow). I have done a few 70 mile plus rides and have the touring bug.

I don’t commute through the winter months so it is actually in MTB form at the moment. I ride MTB in winter and road in summer now.

GrahamS

how do you unclip the carradice with that mudguard there ?

It just fits, hence the slightly odd angle of the mudguard.

Probably overkill as the Carradice has a mudguard bit on it too, but my work laptop is in there so I really don’t want it getting muddy!

steezysix
    Free Member

Don’t think of it as shameful, your bike has simply had a change of career…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

With a bit of fettling and a change of tyres it could ride the trails again!

Think of it as having the capacity to offroad should you need it.

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – I’ve also bought a road bike. But that’s as far as I’m prepared to go. Its sits unloved amongst the ‘proper’ bikes. Mudguards? Bell? Reflective strips? Panniers? Lycra?

Huh? I’m confused… Are you calling me grandad? You’re so awesome because you waste money on things that you don’t deem cool!

takisawa2

Did you need planning permission for that stem…?

kayak23

I don’t know how you can look people in the eye…. 😉

Fixed gear, no mudguards, no phone holder, no practicalities.. 🙄

derek_starship
    Free Member

Up yours grandad!

SCRUBBERRRRRS!

darrell
    Free Member

done the same to my 6 yr old Blur xc – winter commuter now with ice spiker tyres. This is Norway mind

road bike for commuting in the summer

GrahamS

Did you need planning permission for that stem…?

😆 Original spec would you believe? Stupidly long by today’s standards.

samuri
    Free Member

My bike in hard core offroad mode.

Genesis Day-one by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

My bike in commuter mode

Genesis Day-one by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

(Although admittedly, the knobblies there wore out in five minutes so I put some more commuter friendly hybrid tyres on, not that it stopped me using it for hard core offroad)

TiRed

Fit some decent mudguards. My commuter is fixed. Rack, bell, full guards, puncture proof tyres. Permanent mounted lights (not yet a dynohub).

binners

njee20 – I wasn’t having a pop. Merely pointing out that I too have made the ultimate sacrifice. But there are things that are just a step too far – Mudguards? Bell? Reflective strips? Panniers? Lycra? 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

OP: gorgeous bike, be not ashamed of your MTB commuting abomination!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I once fitted a clip on mudguard to my Mather, for a commute.

I felt degraded and nasty.

Far better to get muddy and be proud.

ahwiles
    Free Member

samuri – that’s lovely.

is it singlespeed? – cause i can’t find a SS Genesis Day1 with discs…

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – I wasn’t having a pop.

I see, clearly just being senstive today! 🙂

Despite many years of resistance I fitted mudguards a couple of years ago to the winter/commuting bike and they really do make sense! Still look crap though.

GrahamS

samuri: yep, that is a lovely bike.

Some kind of tourer or cross bike would be a good thing (though obviously I’d want one with gears), especially if it had suitable mount points for my mudguards and a pannier rack 😀

Fit some decent mudguards.

Suggestions? These crud catchers seem adequate – I don’t mind a bit of mud as I get changed at work anyway, I just don’t want to get soaked or get crap in my eyes.

TiRed

SKS is my recommendation. I haven’t done this with a suspension fork, but someone will have. They follow the curve of the tyres, so don’t look quite so awful. I assume you have eyelets on the rear? If not P clips are your friend.

hs125
    Free Member

I’ve gone the full hog this year and fitted full length mudguards, rack and panniers and puncture proof tyres to my hardtail for the commute. A good dose of reflective stickers have been applied too. It may not look good, but it is well worth it in my opinion as everything from my clothes to the drivetrain don’t need cleaning every day, and so should last much longer. Dare I even say it, (touching wood) I’ve never had a puncture since either, even though the hedge trimmers were out last week.

GrahamS

@djaustin: no eyelets and cowled dropouts. But yeah I could use P-clips I guess, do they come with some or do you need to buy separately?

@hs125: pictures please? I want her to know she’s not alone in this humiliation 😀

MtbRoutes

That’s the river bank at Newcastle Business Park not 2 mins from here – I hereby claim my £10.

mrflaky
    Free Member

I couldn’t bring meyself to do it to a mountain bike, so got my dad’s old 80’s road bike, put on full mudguards, touring pannier on the back, lights….just need some trouser cycling clips to complete my commuting look.

GrahamS

That’s the river bank at Newcastle Business Park

Yep sure is. I ride along there then cross the Tyne at the Millennium Bridge.

I hereby claim my £10.

Sorry that offer expired about.. ooohh.. 10 seconds ago.

TiRed

@djaustin: no eyelets and cowled dropouts. But yeah I could use P-clips I guess, do they come with some or do you need to buy separately?

You’ll need some. Drop me a line and I can put some spares in the post (in the interest of bike sartorial elegance)

petrieboy

Powdercoated, slicks, road gearing and a thumb shifter from a halfords BSO. But I still love it!

GrahamS

Drop me a line and I can put some spares in the post (in the interest of bike sartorial elegance)

Cheers djaustin, but I’ll stick with crud catchers for now. Putting on “real” mudguards with bolts and stuff just seems a bit too permanent.

I don’t want to spook her any more than I already have.

angryratio
    Free Member

Oodles of reflective tape, sks guards (badly fitted by yours truely)
    Three rear lights, cheap crap flashy front one and a magicshine eye burner.

I like to think that this is more gopping…

mt
    Free Member

“phone holder” you sad git. “I’m on me bike!”

GrahamS

😆 As explained: phone = GPS logger + bike computer + tunes.

(also I have no shame)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘The Shame Of Commuting’ is closed to new replies.