• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The Sea Otter Classic from a riders perspective
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I have just returned to colorado after my 21 hour drive down to California for the sea otter classic. I have been looking at chipps’ report, and he definately saw a different view of the weekend than I did.

I had signed up for the Crank Brothers ‘Demo to Win’ program, so I had a pair of Crank Brothers Colbalt wheels to ride on, and if I got on the podium, I could keep them for free.
    I was travelling with Neven Steinmetz (Ellsworth/Fox Gravity Team) and Peter O’donnell (University of Colorado cycling team president) and I was rep’ing the University of Bath from back home in England.
    I was planning on racing Super D and XC with Peter, whilst Neven was racing DH and Dual Slalom.

On thursday, Peter and I rode a lap of the XC course, at two laps of 19 miles long it was definately going to be epic; the first half of the course was flowing singletrack with short sharp climbs and then a few sandy descents. the second half of the course was a slog on a fire road, into a head wind. the best part was starting and finishing on the Laguna Seca raceway – made you feel pretty special!

Friday was super D day. I was racing in the 19-29 age group. with 55 starters running to their bikes it was pretty scary, but I managed to get into the top 10. the course was about 7 minutes long with almost no technical features whatsoever (other than 2 high speed jumps with a cross wind) I managed to pass 3 or 4 people in the first sharp corner and then take a few more on the climb. I finished 3rd in the end after a sprint to the line. getting on the podium was a pretty special experience, especially when I got to keep the $1000 wheels on my bike!

on saturday, Neven raced Dual slalom. the course was pretty tricky with a few off camber turns at the top flowing into some monster berms, then a sprint to the finish over two giant table tops. Unfortunatley she crashed in qualifying, which put her up against Melisa Buhl in the first round and therefore ending her race early. Buhl did go on to take the win though so that is some consolation.

Sunday morning bought the XC. by 7:30am the temperature was already 25 degrees, and I was suffering on the start line. I started well, and was in the lead pack on the first lap, sitting happily in about 5th. Peter was in the same pack too and looking super comfy. I felt pretty strong on the second lap, and followed a fast move just after the 30th mile. and thats when my legs fell off – what started so well ended in the first aid truck with an IV and lots of sugar! Peter kept up the pace and finished in 6th, just off the podium.

Neven raced well and finished in the top 16 in the downhill. it was the first weekend she got to ride her new bikes, so she was happy that they performed to her liking.

Watching the all the Pro races was a great experience. Sam Hill dominated in the Slalom, and Mick Hannah was unbeleiveable in the DH, I dont know how anyone can pedal that hard for that long! the XC races were overshadowed by the almost 40 degree temperature – the pro men had 79 finishers out of 156 starters!

the expo area was great to be in too – seeing all the big teams with their trailers makes you realise how big our sport is, at the top level at least!

anyway, I had a great weekend, Monterey CA is a great place to go (and the sea is alot warmer than in england too!)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘The Sea Otter Classic from a riders perspective’ is closed to new replies.