Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The new Cotic Roadrat
  • esku
    Free Member

I was waiting for the Medium black RR frames to arrive, Paul told me that at April they are coming in.
    I opened the Cotic Site today and… wow what a nice surprise.
    A beautiful new Roadrat frame at the front page.
    But there is one fault, no old sizing chart to compare with the new one, as a RR rider for the last two years it can be easier to order the new frame after compering both, old and new.
    Good luck Cotic.

kelvin

Old (long) medium

Seat Tube (centre-top) 50cm
    Top Tube Length 59cm
    Head Angle 72°
    Seat Angle 73°
    BB Drop 55mm
    Head Tube Length 140mm

New medium

Seat Tube (centre-top) 51cm
    Top Tube Length 59cm
    Head Angle 72°
    Seat Angle 73°
    BB Drop 60mm
    Head Tube Length 155mm

ska-49
    Free Member

So the TT isn’t actually longer?
    Looks lovely though.

kelvin

Lower BB, longer headtube.

esku
    Free Member

Thanks man 😀

brakes
    Free Member

would be interested to know what the ride’s like compared to the old one.
    I have one but never really loved it like I love my Soul.

rootes1

still no XL version…

tang
    Free Member

Glad the old hanger has gone.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Arggh! Looks really lovely, but I cant agree with Cy’s vid comment ‘clean lines’ , id buy one right now but want to run discs and Alfine, and dont need three dirty great cable bosses running down the top tube.

Cy, please run some disc only / Alfine only frames!

The Duckegg looks great btw.

Yes, I am a fussy britches.

honourablegeorge

I knew I had a problem when I found myself wanting one, and mentally speccing it up and figuring out what it would cost and justifyin it to myself – I have a lovely roadrat in the shed that hasn’t been out for a spin in months.

slimjim78 – Member

Arggh! Looks really lovely, but I cant agree with Cy’s vid comment ‘clean lines’ , id buy one right now but want to run discs and Alfine, and dont need three dirty great cable bosses running down the top tube.

Use them for your dropper post…

Bazz

Does anyone run these with drop bars? I can’t think of a single one in all the posts i’ve seen, seems odd to me i equate road with drop bars.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Has a very long TT for its size which means drops would only work with a really short stem. It’s a road bike for mountain bikers who don’t want the inherent homosexuality of a road bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The old short version was for drops.

Lifer
    Free Member

road.cc have a review of the old drop bar, was it a different frame to the flat bar?

Lifer
    Free Member

Ooop answered while typing.

aazlad
    Free Member

Get a Cotic X if you want drops. I love mine!

fatmax

At 6’5″ I’d need an XL too. Love the duckegg, and would definitely be keen on one as my commuter.

markrtw
    Free Member

Its just what I am looking for and I would probably buy one today if only there was an XL option. Tall people are getting overlooked.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member

I agree. I really want to like this frame, but sorry I think it’s a mess. All of the cable guides seem to be stuck on as an after thought. I don’t mind the canti or disc options. But surely it would neater (and cheaper) to run the cables through the frame? Or at the very least under the tubes rather than on top.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Has a very long TT for its size which means drops would only work with a really short stem. It’s a road bike for mountain bikers who don’t want the inherent homosexuality of a road bike.

So basically an overpriced heavy hybrid for nodders that will appease doe-eyed MTB’ers sensibilities.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I agree. I really want to like this frame, but sorry I think it’s a mess. All of the cable guides seem to be stuck on as an after thought.

Yup, in the expectation that someone from Cotic will indeed read this. I have to agree that all those braze ons look a mess. I’ve been looking for a flat bar, disk brake, hub geared bike for ages. Then I find one with all that and it’s vaguely British. Count me in.

Then I see the mass of redundant braze ons and think they can’t really be arsed can they… they just want our money for minimum effort.

Why oh why would we want canti braze ons and disk braze ones? Don’t give me that crap about choice, make one frame with cantis and the other with disks. Make it seem like you’re putting in at least a bit of effort.

sheesh

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

make one frame with cantis and the other with disks.

Inclined to agree with you here. I’d always be looking at the frame and wondering how bad it would look if I filed them off and tried to touch up the paint….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bought a new Soul and booked on a skills course to learn how to ride it.

Is it worth doing the same with the Roadrat?

Bearing in mind this will be my first foray into road bikes and I’ve heard the brakes dont work!

bruneep

id buy one right now but want to run discs and Alfine, and dont need three dirty great cable bosses running down the top tube.

Cy, please run some disc only / Alfine only frames!

I was holding off buying the old RR as I heard there was a new version out soon.

Like the colour dont like the cable bosses. I’ll make do with what I have meantime.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I bought a new Soul and booked on a skills course to learn how to ride it.

Is it worth doing the same with the Roadrat?

Bearing in mind this will be my first foray into road bikes and I’ve heard the brakes dont work!

😆

esku
    Free Member

Maybe I am blind but seriously I cant see any problem with the cable bosses or any mess, I just see a beautiful bike/frame.
    I have/had many HT frames include the first generation and no many are as nice as that one.
    I cant think about a better frame in that category.
    I am changing my old ver’ to the new one because of a wrong size.
    I think Cy did here a great job.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

what do you think is the biggest rubber it can take? 700×45?

esku
    Free Member

I had 700X42 and there was place for more

honourablegeorge

drinkmoreport – Member
    what do you think is the biggest rubber it can take? 700×45?

Cotic used to sell Bonty 29×1.8 tyres for it, they called it the “Monster Rat Pack” or somesuch.

Olly
    Free Member

Good to see Cy listened to my suggestions at Bespoke last year regarding getting rid of the hanger, and moving the brake caliper for the sake of racks. 😉

Now all it needs is:

1) get rid of the top tube guides (i can see why they are there, but i wouldnt want them)

2) Put cable stops in for a disk brake along with the gears, with a third guide channel running under the BB. I run hydraulics on my tourer too, but would swap to cable in heart beat if it was with stops, ala the gears, Looks super clean, and would have brilliant feel with only two short lengths of outer.

Duck egg blue is gorgeous!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Anyone tried one yet, and if so, any improvement over original noodly handling?

Also, despite claims of hub hear versatility, I’m struggling to locate any cable stops to hold a hub gear cable run, am I missing something?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Anyone?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Anyone, thinking of one on the bike2work scheme. Flat bar with vee’s (upgrade to my hope mono minis at a later date)

mikalnau
    Free Member

slimjim78

I have the new Roadrat with Alfine 8, no problems at all 🙂 I could upload some pictures if you like.

Regarding the noodly handling: This is my first RR, so I cant compare it with the old one. The only comment I have is that you can both see and feel the fork flexing under braking. Not a problem at all for me, but for some it might me. Actually I think it gives a nice feeling 🙂

tootallpaul

Here’s a couple of pics of mine- picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Rides great. Alfine 8 is very nice.

Ordered on Cyclescheme, and had the bike shop upgrade the brakes to Deore Hydros.

Picked up bike from the shop (Freedom Bikes in Brighton- cheers Ben!) and rode it back to Guildford- first ever ride 50 miles up the downslink.

Now has Small Block 8’s, Carnegie bars, and Rack. Mudguards arriving today.

Also replaced the stock saddle with a Charge Scoop.

Dead pleased.

Paul

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The new Cotic Roadrat’ is closed to new replies.