Home Forums Bike Forum The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • ElVino
    Free Member

Any fork deals around or anyone spotted anything good 2nd hand? Missed the bargain PX ones?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How are folk getting on with these? How do they compare to similar bikes? I nearly bought one at £999 which makes it near impossible to pay £1199…

That’s why I got the preorder as soon as it started! I knew I’d just procrastinate and dither waiting for an inevitable sale and get massive FOMO otherwise.

The £200 extra does get a nice wheel upgrade. So just convince yourself that you would have thought the fulcrums too heavy/narrow.

The only way I would have been tempted to wait longer would be to buy a frame and build it up with a Shimano drivechain. But unless you get lucky with a fork and have lots of good kit spare I don’t think it’s possible to match the spec for <£1200, especially as micro spline options are limited.

stevenmenmuir

Nobodys got one in a rideable state yet. For an extra £200 they might pack it properly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any fork deals around or anyone spotted anything good 2nd hand? Missed the bargain PX ones?

Decathlon seem to have the Judy’s for a good price, although as usual their spec is missing on the website so they might be the even cheaper version, they’re just listed as “spares for rockrider……”

Merlin have Pikes for £400, but they’re not boost.

ElVino
    Free Member

Decathlon seem to have the Judy’s for a good price, although as usual their spec is missing on the website so they might be the even cheaper version, they’re just listed as “spares for rockrider……”

Do we think the Decathlon are Boost spacing or regular, can’t even find hub width on the bike they are listed as a spare for.

Edit – I think I found that it is!

damascus
    Free Member

Some frames half price. I can’t see what size though. £125. You might have to watch the video for details

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNFR66/planet-x-bargain-frame-66—scandal

brant
    Free Member

66 is sold
    67 is a large.

bob_summers

Nobodys got one in a rideable state yet

Mines rideable after some gentle persuasion to straighen the hanger. However it’s done nowt but rain since, and will continue for the foreseeable, so I’ve only ridden it once. Wrecking drivetrains, brakes, and fork seals in the wet sandy mud round here was one reason I stopped riding MTB for years, moan moan moan.

flattyre
    Free Member

That’s why I got the preorder as soon as it started! I knew I’d just procrastinate and dither waiting for an inevitable sale and get massive FOMO otherwise.

Procrastinate is my middle name! The things that slightly put me off were the narrower bar and having to source and fit a dropper.

Thanks for the views everyone.

stanstorey
    Free Member

Really enjoying my scandal…
    I can only really have one bike, so thought I’d try and make the scandal 3 bikes by having 3 sets of wheels 🤔

29er with the supplied fulcrum wheels and gx cassette, 2.5 dhf and 2.4 dhr. Xt ice tech rotors

Gravelly Roadie thingy with superstar clearance wheels (hence random colour!) with extra October offer for 70quid delivered, fitted with a 2.1 thunder burt and a 45c riddler. ebay 203mm discs at 8quid each and a nx 12 speed cassette from ebay

27.5+ m1900 I had in shed with 3.0 trail boss and 3.0 vee Trax fatty thingy found on ebay. Also with ebay 203mm discs at 8quid each and a nx 12 speed cassette from ebay

Had my first 27.5+ ride today on our local trails and I was very impressed, comfy, rolled well and not as slow to respond as I expected… I think brant was onto something when he showed us his scandal on 27.5+!

Going to fit a 34t front ring to see if I can get a smidge more speed when out with my gravel bike riding mates.
    If it helps previous ring related queries, it came with fitted a 32t 3mm offset boost ring.

brant
    Free Member

203 rotors fit 😮

stanstorey
    Free Member

Yes, no issues with 203mm…i presume that wasn’t a design criteria 😁

brant
    Free Member

No!

damascus
    Free Member

@stanstorey did you see the px newsletter today? 👍

stanstorey
    Free Member

Just seen it, fame at last… 😁
    Thanks brant 👍🏽

ElVino
    Free Member

I better not let Mrs EV see this I will have to sell 2 of my other bikes!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I better not let Mrs EV see this I will have to sell 2 of my other bikes!

Nonsense, just buy more.

Future me: “these new bikes?” “No, I’ve always had a 27.5+ bike, look at this photo from 2019”.

misteralz
    Free Member

Quite liking mine. Done about 200km on it. Doesn’t feel anything like as cumbersome as every other 29er I’ve ever ridden. Haven’t done any proper gnarr on it yet, because I’m still playing with fit.
    It’s made my 650b Explosif feel even more fun, too.

RoterStern
    Free Member

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2accixf14

Just finished my new Scandal. Took most of the parts from my old Niner SS which broke. The fork is only 100mm adjusted so the geometry is a bit flat at the front but then it’s only intended for slipping around in the depths of winter. Might get a suspension fork for it next year but seeing as I have a carbon Niner for racing then maybe not.

J273
    Free Member

Ive had a few rides on my scandal now. For how much i paid im pretty impressed with it, Was built as a winter hack from my spares box so is a miss mash of parts but its ideal for the winter slop.

Its a bit sh*t up after yesterdays ride 🙂 but heres a couple of pics.

dogthomson

Anyone know the weight of the two builds?

NVM, just checked the website, 28lbs for the GX.

Does that stack up in the real world?

damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

Just in case anyone is looking at a new rear maxle this ktm fits. It is slightly too long but the thread starts and ends before and after the on one maxle. I couldn’t find a better match for the price £20 delivered. My lbs had a ktm bike in and we tried it for size. Sorry about the pictures (on my ebay app it’s free postage but on the below link it’s £15 postage)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223324807576

free image sharing[/url]

free image uploader[/url]

damascus
    Free Member

Finally got my new wheels built, stans flow mk3 rims with schwalbe nobby nic 2.6 tyres. They didn’t come up as wide as I was expecting but they are a fair bit bigger than the maxxis 2.35 I’ve removed. Based on the profile I think I could squeeze a 2.8 in and still have mud clearance. I reckon the genesis tarn fork might fit a 3.25, there’s loads of clearance on that.

Ignore the slightly rusty chain and the dodgy routing of the brake as the cable is slightly too short. It’s a winter bike!

lovewookie

Been out a few times on mine, mix of woody singletrack and open moor.
    I’m still not 100% certain if I like it.
    I’m hoping it’s new bike fettle syndrome, and I just need to get my position sorted out, but it feels quite sluggish, maybe going this slack actually wasn’t for me after all..:-/

Front end feels a bit wandery, OK on the down, with the wheel weighted, but undulating singletrack is quite a handful.

I ended up sticking a slight layback post on, as the forward position didn’t feel comfy and made me feel a bit cramped whilst seated (I’m on an XL, and 6’2, long torso, short legs), that didn’t feel quite right, so upped the stem from a 50mm to a 60mm to see if that helps.

It seems to have a bit, and I will persist as I suspect that I just need to lower the front end until I get the correct balance on the front wheel weighting.

Still, if I need to sell it on it’s not going to be a huge financial loss..just time off the MTB..

I’ll report back in a couple of weeks 🙂

misteralz
    Free Member

I’d built mine up from bits I had in stock and felt kinda the same as you, until I swapped out the 720mm bars I had on it for some 780s. That, and swapping from 36T to 30T up front. It has transformed it. Although I think 32T might have been a better bet.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one of these frames to build up, at 175cm tall as usual I seem to between sizes medium and large, better to size up or down on one of these? A different frame but had a PEX London Road a while back in medium and it felt a bit too small even when altering saddle layback, stem etc. Erring for large size – any advice? Cheers

variflex
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one of these frames to build up, at 175cm tall as usual I seem to between sizes medium and large, better to size up or down on one of these? A different frame but had a PEX London Road a while back in medium and it felt a bit too small even when altering saddle layback, stem etc. Erring for large size – any advice? Cheers

Im 175 and went for a large…. but in a way I reckon an XL would be even better.

bigjim

So apart from the dropout sticking out the box, at the other end the bottom of the head tube is dented, not sure if from transit or before. The lower race doesn’t quite sit in the head tube because of the dent.

Is there any reason I shouldn’t just hit it with a hammer to straighten it back out? Or do you think if I press in the lower race regardless it will straighten the head tube too?

weeksy

Because it’s under warranty and they’ll take it back if you ask?

faustus

I know it’s extra faff, but i’d be wanting a fresh frame, no messing about with dents on a new frame…

Meanwhile, i’m doing the slowest build ever due to lack of time (gonna blame it on a sick toddler). I’ve blacked out all the stickers and everything is pretty much ready to swap over.

damascus
    Free Member

@bigjim send it back and get a new one.

My xl bike also came in a box with the head tube out

disben

So did mine, spoke to them on chat and it was replaced (well after I was given a refund and asked for it to be replaced). In the end good service.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Good service? More than one XL frame sent out in a box that’s too small and damaged as a result doesn’t sound like good service.

jabberingjimbo
    Free Member

Bought mine as winter hack to save trashing the full susser (Ripmo)….

Now to be also used for the commute after the road bike went under a bus!

null

bigjim

yeah but I’m overseas and the time/expense to find a box for it and post it back to UK hardly seems worth it for such a cheap frame if I can just smack it straight again or if a headset press will make it round again. I would like a new mech hanger though so I’ll drop them an email, just haven’t had time to think about it yet, think it’ll be a xmas hols project.

My parkwood frame came the same way years ago so they must get a whole lot of returned frames/bent hangers from lazy packaging. says the guy too lazy to post it back ha

faustus

I notice there are a couple of scandals in the classifieds (already!) @Lovewookie – be interested to know why it didn’t suit you?

lovewookie

Honestly, I think I’m just weird, or set in my ways..one of the two, or perhaps both..

It’s a lovely bike, I think for those that have tried the LLS trend and get on with it.

I can see how it may work for me on paper, I’ve always preferred long bikes, but the geometry is very different to what I’m used to. However, I figured that the extra reach may work out any misgivings I’ve previoulsy had about slack bikes (my NS was an example of a bike that just felt slow, thought it was the steel frame, and the slack front and the relatively normal sized reach)

Back when the Inbreds were about (the bikes.) I found those a bit odd feeling. Should be long enough, but the slack-for-the-time head angle did something odd to how the bike felt on the trails I like to ride. Something not really reported, as most folk got it. I did have one set up with rigid forks, which worked nicely, but the forks were probably a bit short for the frame, but just right for me.

Anyway, back to the scandal.

to get comfy on it, I needed to stick the saddle all the way back. I guess steep seatubes don’t really work for me.
    When set up I compared the overall reach from saddle to bars, compared to my other bike and the scandal was a fair bit shorter, which surprised me really. However, I had heard that longer, slacker bikes feel shorter in the saddle, but are good when out of the saddle.

for me, this ended up being a compromise too far. uphill and along undulating trails, I shift my weight alot along the saddle. I couldn’t get comfy uphill, the bike just felt very short. in twisty singletrack I ended up fighting a bike that felt too short, had sluggish steering (I’m sure something I’d adjust to) yet had a tendancy to wander and felt twitchy. Don’t know why that would be, but it was similar to my NS.

all in all, it felt like a bit of a handfull.

I can see, for someone more used to that type of geometry and someone who doesn’t struggle like me, to find a bike that fits, would get the best from it. I’m just a bit weird.

faustus

Thanks for sharing that, useful to know. Surprised to hear it felt short, but can understand how from what you’re saying, based on steeper SA. I’m coming from a Parkwood, which although it’s a tad too short (because no XL sizes), I really like the ride. I’m interested to see how mine rides when i finally get it built up. My riding is mainly XC/rolling terrain, with little in the way of saddle-dropping downhills. It’ll be my first properly LLS bike, so will see how I go.

lovewookie

Think you’ll probably like it if you managed to get on a bit with the parkwood. The scandal reach is 480mm while the parkwood was closer to 420 according to geometrygeeks.

I moved from a 445 reach, 72 seat and 70 head angle bike, witha 100mm stem, so quite a change for me. had longer bikes before, but they;ve been hovering around the 69-70 deg head angle, and felt off. for me, somewhere around 67-68 and long would probably feel about right, but it can be dificult tryng lots of bikes out, so take a punt on something and if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. (obviously not if you’re shelling out £0000’s)

damascus
    Free Member

If anyone is still thinking of buying a scandal but are waiting for a sale there’s now 20% off with build It yourself (express, must be competent) with code PBREXPRESS20.

10% off if not some competent with normal code

stanstorey
    Free Member

I see the carbon whippet is now available on their website… With a selcof carbon fork and the rockshox 35 fork as an extra option, suggesting its suspension corrected for 130mm ish…

So would that selcof fork be a pretty good fit for a scandal?

I cannot see it for sale separately on the website and am keen to try one out if its boost and will take a decent size tyre!

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.