• This topic has 42 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by feed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • The never ending search for UK friendly flat pedal shoe…
  • Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

I’ve been riding 5.10 Freerider EPS for a couple of years but the soles have worn thin and it’s time to replace. For all the talk of them being a winter shoe with Primaloft insulation, I assume the Priomaloft has now compressed into nothing as they’re not particularly warm.

I’ve looked at the reviews for the various designs but i’m not sure Outdoor Gear Lab understand the rigorous of riding all year round in the west coast of Scotland…

Things I want:

All the grip / Sole stiffness – I enjoy a 5.10 EPS sole, super grippy, more grip the better. I also prefer the stiffer EPS sole to the standard Freerider. Seems to take the sting out of rough stuff.

Robustness / Protection – I smash my feet off things and it hurts.

Water resistance – I ride all year round and often that involves riding in river like trails. I’m aware there is a big hole in the top where you foot goes in but I hate nothing more than “ventilation” all over a shoe. The water just goes straight through the vents as you ride through the first puddle in the car park! Happy to put up with hot feet in the summer for some water resistance. The Endura overshoes might help with the big hole at the top.

Quick Drying – See above – they’ll be flung on a radiator after most rides.

Not super heavy – Used for all round trail / enduro riding, maybe with some uplfts too.

What should I be looking at?

PS. I dont like waterproof socks.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

I like my Ride Industries – after many years of 5:10 fanboi-ism.
    Not sure about the water resistance though ….

Premier Icon continuity
    Free Member

Learn to like waterproof socks?

Buy a larger size to fit them?

Buy nicer ones?

I wouldn’t even bother trying to keep MTB shoes dry – just focus on the least water retention, so Teva Shimano or maybe spec.

Premier Icon doomanic

5-10 Trailcross Goretex? Currently available with 30% off.

Premier Icon duncancallum

Vaude…..

And Vaude

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

There’s your problem. They make any shoe a millions times nicer to wear in crap weather.

Premier Icon BillOddie

Or wear thicker Merino socks if you don’t care if your feet are wet as long as they are not too cold.

There are new FiveTen Trail cross with a goretex liner but they are £150… size accordingly for a mid thickness merino sock and you’ll be fine!

Must admit I will miss my SPD winterboots due to my knee mandated switch to flats…

Premier Icon bikesandboats
    Free Member

I have the same issues as the OP, heard good things about the Vaude Moab but can’t seem to find anywhere in the UK that actually has a set for sale. Anyone know of anywhere with some stock?

I struggled to get my last set.

I go through a pair every 18 to 24mths so cant complain really.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Socks! I tend to wear thin cotton ones in the summer and thick wool ones in winter. I’ve tried a couple different types of waterproof socks in the past but always ended up with cold feet.

Premier Icon convert

5-10 Trailcross Goretex? Currently available with 30% off.

This new shoe/boot has been a bit of a game changer for me.

Premier Icon frogstomp

You’re never going to stay completely dry, but the combination of Shimano MW shoes and thick merino socks has always worked pretty well for me, but they are SPD rather than flat. I have a pair of the above-mentioned Trailcross Goretex waiting to be tested which will hopefully perform similarly (neoprene cuff etc.).

See, also, those foot warmer thingies..

Premier Icon crazyjenkins01

I am in kind of the same boat. I’ve used sealskinz and helps to keep the feet nice and dry BUT…..

Once the shoes are wet, my feet get cold really quickly and just wont warm up again. The sealskinz don’t help with that!

Really fancy trying the Trailcross but at that price its a fair gamble!!!!

Free Member

Hadn’t realised I could get 30% off the Trailcross GTX so I’ve just ordered a set, £105 and free postage so not much worse than a lot of similar mtb shoes and hopefully more waterproof.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

shimano gr9s have a decent flap over the laces. recommended. this years gets rid of it for some crazy reason

how @bikesandboats? I didn’t see any codes etc

Might take a punt for that price!

Free Member

I think you can find the voucher code at https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/adidas.co.uk.

You, sir, are a legend!

Premier Icon Northwind

TBF the Freerider EPS is just a pretty bad shoe, with its weird mix of insulation that only really works when it’s dry, and rubbish waterproofing that gets you wet feet after a few puddles. And then they stay wet. It’s like they’re made for cold dry conditions only, which OK is maybe a thing elsewhere but even on the most frozen of UK days you’ll still usually find a stream or something and that’s all it takes to knacker them.

I got a set of Columbia Fairbanks which are a walking boot, and they work way better as bike shoes than the EPS does. (ironically they’re pretty bad walking boots, very little mud grip). Enormously better waterproofing, far warmer- kept me snug right through the winter snows of last year and also into the thaws. They also dry fast. The grip isn’t five-ten levels, but it’s good (the rubber is less sticky but the textured sole works well on pins)

The Freerider Element/DLX (same shoe, 2 names) is pretty similar to the EPS but has actually somewhat effective water protection, stays warmer, and dries faster. A really good everyday shoe but out of its depth in winter.

I just got a set of Trailcross GTXs but they’re purely a winter shoe imo, I’ll try them again in a couple of months. I’ve got pretty high hopes for these though they’re clumpier than I’d like.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

I’m going to go for a pair of Trailcross GTX. How’s the sizing on them?

I’m normally a 45/10 in normal shoes and mountaineering boots.

Premier Icon TheBrick
    Free Member

I am waiting to go to a shop to check these out in person. They look on like they have potential

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-and-waterproof-hiking-boots-sh100-x-warm/_/R-p-307054

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

I wear thin-ish DexShell all year around – waterproof and thick enough to provide an element of cushioning. Last two winters (Scotland too) I’ve worn a pair of 5:10 Freerides, which replaced the previous use of 5:10 Impacts (quite a few).

I’ve also bought a pair of the 30% goretex 5:10’s – these will be worn with the DexShells.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/dexshell-ultra-thin-waterproof-socks/_/R-p-X8620548?mc=8620548&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=SurfacesForGoogle&utm_content=8620548-4253110&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_112360896945_c_478900795190_w_pla-329717981462_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_8620548-4253110_z_GB_i_en_j_329717981462_s__e__h_1007133_ii__vi__&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuGJBhB1EiwACU1AiRfvcTd_sj2BWVEMqgIPeUSbVsbC0O6WXIjrX27IlWUoQ1yFGgaiQxoCOTgQAvD_BwE

Premier Icon goby

Vaude…..

And Vaude

Premier Icon goby

@bikesandboats

I spoke to someone at Vaude uk in January this year and he said that the uk mail order retail parter Action Outdoors LTD but service had been suspended due to brexit and customs changes required for imports from the EU.

They was hoping for stock to be aavilable in late august / sept so i shall drop them an email agian.

Keep you posted!

Premier Icon ton
    Free Member

feel free to laugh, but you will not get anything as warm and as waterproof as these.
    and they are also as grippy as 5/10.

been using a pair for the last 4 winters.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/mens-fairbanks-omni-heat-boots-1746011.html

Premier Icon jhinwxm
    Free Member

Endura MT500 Plus overshoes with waterproof trousers and waterproof socks. In colder winter weather add a merino sock liner too. The shoes you wear then become largely irrelevant. I wear five tens and they don’t even get damp 99% of the time.

This combination was a game changer for me. Feet stay warm and dry unless you walk through a river or stream etc where any shoe would let water in. Waterproof trousers are essential if you want to keep your feet warm and dry as they cover the top of the over shoe hence water does not get in.

The only issue with the MT 500 plus overshoes is that they are a tw*t to get on, but once on don’t budge and they are highly effective. I see that they have brought out extra larger sizes so you should get some to fit.

This is the only real solution to dry and warm feet. You can buy the best waterproof shoes out there but if water can get in over the top, and it will, what’s the point.

Morale of the story; invest in waterproof trousers and overshoes. Problem solved.

Premier Icon dessie72

I’d recommend going a whole size up on the FiveTen Trailcross Goretex if that helps, I had to.

Premier Icon rockandrollmark

TheBrick

I am waiting to go to a shop to check these out in person. They look on like they have potential

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-and-waterproof-hiking-boots-sh100-x-warm/_/R-p-307054

I’d be interested to see how you get on with those from a stiffness point of view. If they’re stiff enough for riding they look like they might be a good bet. Waterproof, warm, probably grippy enough, and not too bulky. Not sure I’m buying their claim though that “They combine comfort, grip and style.

On the waterproof sock front, I’ve always just gone a size up with sealskinz and then worn some thicker socks underneath – ‘cos yes, 5.10s in the winter are rubbish, and there’s no point in dry feet if they’re in a cold pair of socks. Putting a thick-ish sock between provides a layer of insulation.

Premier Icon nedrapier

I’ve got a pair of the MT500 overshoes, unused, if anyone’s keen? And size 40??-43?

Couldn’t get them to fit around my size 44 shoes without a fight.

Premier Icon jimmy

shimano gr9s have a decent flap over the laces

I can’t see past shoes with flaps over the laces. Cack encrusted laces are no fun for anyone and Shimano flat shoes always fit me well.

Premier Icon goby

Vaude update!!!

So Action Outdoors can get some in now, however they only ship one a month and thee next shipment is in 2-3 weeks time.
    If you wish to order some and get them on this shipment PM and i will give you the details of the chap i have been speaking too at ActionOutdoors.

Premier Icon blitz

I’ve recently ordered the FiveTen goretex with the discount code. Due to be delivered on sat.

I measured my feet as per the sizing guide which came out as a 10 (I’m usually 9.5-10 depending on brand). Based on bits I’d read I then sized up to 10.5. Fingers crossed they’re ok!

Premier Icon Northwind

ton
    Free Member

feel free to laugh, but you will not get anything as warm and as waterproof as these.
    and they are also as grippy as 5/10.

been using a pair for the last 4 winters.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/mens-fairbanks-omni-heat-boots-1746011.html

Same ones as me! They’re definitely not as grippy as 5 10s though. But they’re grippy enough for it not to make much difference for me.

Premier Icon doomanic

I’m usually an 11 and my Freerider EPS are 12s and a bit tight. I measured my foot length, which puts me in an 11. I’ve tried 11.5 (a bit long and a bit tight) and 12 (very long and still a bit, possibly the same, tight) so I’m waiting for a pair of 11s to turn up. If they are the right length and not too tight I may keep them, subject to the availability and price of the Fairbanks.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I have some 5 10’s (can’t remember the model) and everything other than the tongue is waterproof. Can’t decide if the person that came up with them is staggeringly stupid or a fantastic prankster.

@goby you have mail

Premier Icon blitz

I measured my feet as per the sizing guide which came out as a 10 (I’m usually 9.5-10 depending on brand). Based on bits I’d read I then sized up to 10.5. Fingers crossed they’re ok!

Just collected them and reckon they’re spot on. I think I could even have got away with a 10 as per their sizing guide if using normal socks, but the half size up allows space for thick sealskins or winter socks.

Premier Icon scuttler

On top of 30% discount adidas.co.uk free and easy returns so order 2 or 3 sizes and send back what doesn’t fit.

Premier Icon Alex

I was a 9.5 in UK Five-Tens BA (Before Adidas) – tried 10 and 10.5 for the Gortex TrailCross. 10.5 would have needed a thick sock all the time. Like the look of those Decathlon socks,  as I really don’t like thick waterproof socks at all.

I’ve also gone trousers for this winter. We were talking about this on a ride yesterday. The consensus ones cold, wet feet are pretty much the most unpleasant thing about winter riding. So hoping the TrailCross/Sock/Trousers combo is going to work this year.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Keeping your legs warm will help keep your feet warm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.