Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • The bestest, consistently good bands?
  • IHN

IHN – Much as I love you, you’re not allowed on threads about music. And you’ve just demonstrated why

😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Bjork (as said)
    PJ Harvey
    Smog/(smog)/Bill Callahan
    Palace/palace brothers/palace music/will Oldham/Bonnie prince Billy/etc
    Cat power

I will generally pick up the latest offering by any/all of the above. And have done for years.

mudshark
    Free Member

Neil Young – as big a fan as I am he’s done some unappealing albums – Landing on Water and Everybody’s Rockin’ spring to mind.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Elbow.

Consistently good? I’d certainly say they were consistently mind numbingly boring.

Arctic Monkeys?

moshimonster
    Free Member

Pink Floyd were amazing live too. I’m sure someone will say they can’t really play live either.
    Led Zep were awesome too in their day and their music still sounds pretty good today.

I thought the Who were good too.

I’m pretty cold on the current mainstream UK music scene, but I’m really liking much of the obscure Canadian rock and reggae you find on mtb and ski movies.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t think Rush have ever disappointed.

jamj1974

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Don’t think Rush have ever disappointed.

1. When they formed
    2. Failed to break up

bigshep
    Free Member

Bellowhead

sas78

Foo fighters? and +1 for Opeth, Clutch, Mastodon.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lightning Bolt

poltheball
    Free Member

John Mayer. Quality..

senorj

Doves – good call.
    & Daft Punk,maybe the last album was a little weak but that lucky song is amazeballs.

MrNice
    Free Member

is it allowed to count individuals who’ve done lots of good stuff but with different bands? If yes, then Mark Lanegan.

Teenage fanclub maybe?

everyone else I thought of is already mentioned.

RustySpanner

Motorhead.

CountZero

[/url] Half Man Half Biscuit, Bath Komedia. by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Half Man Half Biscuit

[/url] Arcade Fire/Ian McCullock, Earle’s Court, London by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Arcade Fire

[/url] Elbow, O2, London. by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Elbow

I’ve now seen Elbow six times, from the O2 Academy up to the O2 Arena, and as a live band they are outstanding, managing to make a 17,000 capacity venue feel like an intimate club gig.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana were consistent I wonder what their post-hiatus-comeback-need-to-get-the-kids-through-school albums would be like

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Prodigy are certainly one of the few. And as stated already absolutely riotous live

isto
    Free Member

+1 Yo la Tengo

😉 on Lightning Bolt

Also Mogwai have been really dependable whilst changing a fair bit throughout the years.

bigblackshed

Magenta, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Joe Bonamassa.

cinnamon_girl

Cue a load of old rock bands that sound the same as they always did…

😆

I prefer people who’re continually evolving. 🙂

As for Neil Young, well he’s made some bloomin’ brilliant albums and some bloomin’ rubbish ones too. He’s never dull!

rob2
    Free Member

+1 for ian brown

Funnily enough I was saying as such to my wife the other day.

And prodigy as said.

Suggsey
    Free Member

And because no one already has and I don’t give a damn about music, my preference is standard brown rubber sort of favourite bands. 😆
    I’ll get me coat……

Tom-B
    Free Member

Couple here that I’d agree with.

John Mayer (50% of my blues covers band set is John Mayer tracks so I’m kind of biased as he’s my hero on guitar!)

Bellowhead…..outstanding musicians and really interesting to listen to/watch.

I’d add Primus to the list. Still as quirky/catchy/interesting on the last album as the first.

DezB
    Free Member

Johndoh >> BTW. I did not mean it about U2.

I knew!
    I also knew CountZero would be along with some bloody photos what he tooks at gigs, just to annoy me too. It did!

athgray
    Free Member

I agree completely with OP. Charlatans have been around for decades, staying just below the radar whilst producing good tunes. Disagree about the Prodigy. loved them through ‘Music For The Jilted’ and ‘Fat Of The Land’ but can’t take to more recent albums.

Although no longer making albums I would add Orbital and The Beastie Boys.

DezB
    Free Member

Prodigy’s last album was 2009! And it was rubbish. Their last decent one was 1997, so they definitely don’t belong!

Northwind

Mogwai
    Mull Historical Society
    Frank Turner- because every album now is basically the same as the last one, only slightly less interesting

deluded
    Free Member

GusGus.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=trqL3pzE8rg[/video]

CountZero

I knew!
    I also knew CountZero would be along with some bloody photos what he tooks at gigs, just to annoy me too. It did!

you have no idea how glad I am about that!
    Just to annoy you even more, here’s a few more:

[/url] Metric by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Metric

[/url] Stars, London by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Stars

[/url] Katzenjammer, O2 Academy, Bristol by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Katzenjammer

[/url] Calexico, O2 Academy, Bristol by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Calexico.

See, no ‘Dad Rock’ here, and I’m not going to mention someone I’ve never seen live, and why post someone else’s photo when I have my own.
    Or are you jealous because you never see any live bands?

Cougar

Faith No More.

One of my all-time favourite bands. But “consistent”? Really?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Kings Of Leon. From the “before Caleb could sing” stage all the way through til now. Couple bits of filler, but not much.

jekkyl

Good question, does it have to be bands that are still going? If not then my nominations are:
    . up until Fred died: Queen! Every single album was excellent, even Hot Space had it’s moments.
    . Up until Jim died, The Doors.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Richmond Fontaine
    Calexico
    Bob Mould

tenfoot

If we can have bands that are no longer going I vote for the smiths.

Out of all the bands I like, I have the most Radiohead albums. Wouldn’t call them consistently good though. Some are great whilst one or two are almost inaccessible.

MSP

Supergrass

DezB
    Free Member

Thread has taken a very odd turn.

breadcrumb

Stereophonics, Prodigy, Kings of Leon and Kasabian.

DezB
    Free Member

Or are you jealous because you never see any live bands?

Yeah, thats it 🙄
    suppose the problem is I haven’t got one single shit photo to prove I was there. Just memories and experiences.

Hobster
    Free Member

Greg Dulli has a good run rate with Afghan Whigs, Twilight Singers and Gutter Twins.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Pere Ubu – 40 years old next year and still busy, busy, busy …and playing at the Brudenell in Leeds next week for which I have a ticket!

+1 on Yo La Tengo

+1 on Lightning Bolt …and Brian Chippendale’s doing some great work with his Black Pus project.

Thurston Moore (ex Sonic Youth) is still great and his current sound is very recognisable 🙂

Throwing Muses are still fantastic!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘The bestest, consistently good bands?’ is closed to new replies.