Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • The minimum wage…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

… in Eire is about to be reduced, I’ve just heard. By 10%. D’you think that even now, Gideon is sitting in number 11, stroking his chin and going “Hmmmm….”?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm, well there’s a flawed logic to it (for the UK) in that you’re taking money away from the people in society with the highest marginal propensity to consume, whilst helping to line the pockets of those who’ll be able to save it… so is Gideon contemplating it? Almost certainly.

ourmaninthenorth

This’ll be Gideon, heir to one of the baronetcy’s of the Ascendancy? I think he has a reasonably direct interest….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Southern Yeti is spot on.

And of course this government isn’t interested in “logic” as much as it is in keeping the neo-liberal dream alive.

Neo-liberal dream = high unemployment, low wages, high profit.

In a nutshell.

jonb
    Free Member

Who is Gideon?

There are arguments for and against. I thought the change in Ireland was a drop of one Euro stipulated by the European Union as a consequence of the bailout.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Gideon…

jonb
    Free Member

He’s called George, I believe he’s the Chancellor.

maccruiskeen

He’s called George, I believe he’s the Chancellor.

He calls himself George, but his name is Gideon

MrWoppit
    Free Member

…or “Oik”, if you prefer…

iDave
    Free Member

he changed his name when he was 12. he may be a **** but the name thing is hardly worth mentioning – i think there are other more important issues

Junkyard
    Free Member

he changed his name so is actually called George but people use it show he is a member of the aristocracy and different from you and me
    I doubt it as they would pay less tax and we would pay more tax credit to top it up so I doubt it saves us any money.

jonb
    Free Member

Could potentially introduce more jobs. Some argue that it is better to have no or a low minimum wage and have the govenrment top up peoples income. This way unemployement is lower and while the government is paying out more to top up they will hopefully be paying less to people who are completely without work.

Personally I don’t think it would work as many current employers would drop their wages and we’d have to make a substantial drop in the minimum wage to become competitive with other countries that are considered cheap for manufacturing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Another famous name changer clicky

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but he gave up his peerage as well fighting to get the law changed so he could do this. Agreed by the tories so Hulme could give his up to be PM iirc
    A lot of the minimum wage is paid by comapnies who could afford more eg MC donalds so I think it would help big companies more than litlle companies. They are not going to hire more people they will maximise profits so I see no reall point.

allthepies
    Free Member

yes but he gave up his peerage as well fighting to get the law changed so he could do this

And the double barrelled surname part ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He killed his Mum.

Spongebob
    Free Member

What has our chancellor got to do with what is going on in Ireland?

br
    Free Member

Well their’s (along with many things which is why they are in deep shit) is a lot higher than ours at EUR8.65 (ours is £5.93 = EUR6.92).

And minimum wage is about lifting the minimum a company can pay, without it they’d pay less… A bit like how women have been historically paid less than men, and its really only due to legislation that the gender rates have equalised (as seen with the many public sector cases).

Junkyard
    Free Member

you allready said he changed his name. My point was that his was due to principle [and embarassement??]. I have no idea why George changed his and have stopped caling him gideon as it seems childish

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

yes but …..

WTF are you talking about, Tony Benn hasn’t changed his name 😕

To shorten Anthony to Tony is perfectly normal – it doesn’t mean you’ve “changed” your name ffs.

And he is still Wedgewood Benn. OK he no longer bothers with the first part of his double barrel name….and ? so what ? His name hasn’t “changed” ……the Wikipedia link proves that.

If I decided that I would no longer automatically give my middle name when asked what my name was, would that represent me “changing” my name ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What has our chancellor got to do with what is going on in Ireland?

Quite a lot actually. Osborne sees Ireland as a shinning example of how an economy should be run. In 2006 he said, “We should look and learn from across the Irish Sea”, so impressed he was by their economic miracle.

More recently he has said that Britain should follow the example of Ireland with their commitment to reduce their deficit through massive spending cuts.

Although this week he bunged them a few £billions for their new fiscal stimulus. It is now a good idea for the Irish government to borrow more money ….. apparently they hadn’t borrowed enough.

mefty
    Free Member

I think you will find he was impressed by their supply reforms which had proved very effective in promoting export led growth in the economy. The cause of Ireland’s problems seem to be largely down (not exclusively) to joining the euro which lead to negative real interest rates so borrowing was invested in a property boom of pretty impressive proportions.

As far as cutting expenditure is concerned Ireland failed to stave off a reduction in their credit rating, something Osborne to date has achieved so it is not a comparison of like with like. Now that a bailout is happening, Ireland’s public spending is likely to be cut more vigorously.

It is not a fiscal stimulus, the money is being used to repay market debt because it is too expensive.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The cause of Ireland’s problems seem to be largely down to joining the euro

So wouldn’t a better suggestion from Osborne have been : “We shouldn’t look across the Irish Sea, they’ve gone and joined the Euro” ?

crikey
    Free Member

something Osborne, following on from Gordon Brown, to date has achieved

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And anyways, I thought it was construction led growth rather than export led growth.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

I think everyone knows that he has or indeed had no intention of joining the euro, so why mention it? He admired the supply side reforms and praised that aspect – no need to upset people is there?

mefty
    Free Member

Until about 2000, the growth
    had been on a secure export-led basis, underpinned by wage restraint.

World Bank report

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve just seen an Irish fireman on the news saying that his most repetitive task these days is pulling people out of the Liffy who’ve tried to commit suicide by jumping into it.

Seriously…

mefty
    Free Member

crikey – I think you will find his predecessor in post was Alastair Darling.

grantway
    Free Member

Disgusts me should be no less than £ 10 per hr

Reluctant
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Liffey!

And I assure you, joining the euro was not the cause of Ireland’s problems.

mefty
    Free Member

From the report I linked above

Among the triggers for the property bubble was the sharp fall in interest rates following euro membership: within the eurozone also the disciplines of the market which had traditionally served as warning
    signs of excess were muted.

By the way, the author is now in charge of the Irish Central bank.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Whenever I think about the minimum wage I think of a guy I met while I was camping, I wrote a blog at the time and this was part of my blog entry for the day…

He explained that when he reached his teenage years he found out that the woman he had always thought of as his sister was actually his mum and his mother was actually his gran. Dyslexia had made school unbearable at the hands of unsympathetic and spiteful teachers so, feeling betrayed and lied to, he left school early and hit the streets. He spent the next 20 years living in shop doorways and hostels, eeking out a living where he could doing odd jobs, fruit picking, labouring on building sites and rummaging amongst bins. When the minimum wage came along he could no longer find work that was not illegal so he became a beggar.

This is exactly as he described it.

I no longer believe that the minimum wage is a good thing for the poorest people in our society, it does in fact draw a line between those included in our society and those who are firmly outside.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Until about 2000, the growth
    had been on a secure export-led basis, underpinned by wage restraint.

World Bank report

mefty – did you really think I wouldn’t bother reading your link ? 😀

The very next sentence after that was : “However, from about 2000 the character of the growth changed: a property price and construction bubble took hold.

Osborne made his comment in 2006, at that time the Irish economy was being driven the construction/property industry bubble – a fatal mistake which made them particularly vulnerable to the toxic nature of the global credit crunch. And it is precisely because property prices in Ireland have collapsed (iirc) by 40% that it is today up shitcreek without a paddle.

Of course Ireland’s property speculation/credit driven boom was to much for Thatcherite neo-liberals with their deep hatred of manufacturing and their enduring love for fictitious capital, and poor old Osborne couldn’t help wetting his pants……hence his comment in 2006 :

We should look and learn from across the Irish Sea. What has caused this Irish miracle and how can we in Britain emulate it?

jonb
    Free Member

If it becomes too expensive to employ people then people start to look to automation.

I’ve done a couple of jobs at minimum wage and the majority could have been done by a machine if it became cost effective.

mefty
    Free Member

Of course I didn’t but he never praised the construction boom, he praised education, R&D and low corporate taxes – that is what initially led the boom, which was sustainable. Unfortunately it was then pissed away on a property boom.

Extract from article George Osborne wrote from which your quote is derived, I believe.

What has caused this Irish miracle, and how can we in Britain emulate it? Three lessons stand out. First, Ireland’s education system is world-class. On various different rankings it is placed either third or fourth in the world. By contrast, Britain is ranked 33rd and our poor education performance is repeatedly identified by organisations such as the OECD as our greatest weakness. It is not difficult to see why. Staying ahead in a global economy will mean staying at the cutting edge of technological innovation, and using that to boost our productivity. To do that you need the best-educated workforce possible. It is telling that even limited education reform is proving such a struggle for the Prime Minister.

Secondly, the Irish understand that staying ahead in innovation requires world class research and development. Using the best R&D, businesses can grow and make the most of the huge opportunities that exist in the world. That is why it is shocking that the level of R&D spending actually fell in Britain last year. Ireland’s intellectual property laws give incentives for companies to innovate, and the tax system gives huge incentives to turn R&D into the finished article. No tax is paid on revenue from intellectual property where the underlying R&D work was carried out in Ireland. While the Treasury here fiddles with its complex R&D tax credit system, I want to examine whether we could not adopt elements of Ireland’s simple and effective approach.

Thirdly, in a world where cheap, rapid communication means that investment decisions are made on a global basis, capital will go wherever investment is most attractive. Ireland’s business tax rates are only 12.5 per cent, while Britain’s are becoming among the highest in the developed world.

highclimber
    Free Member

even the shining light of Capitalism, USA, has a minimum wage so there must be some substance to having one if they do (even though its pretty low and the service industry relies on staff to supplement wages through their tips)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

he never praised the construction boom

Well of course he didn’t ! What sort of daft muppet would argue that house price inflation and easy credit was a great basis for economic stability ? 😀

But in 2006, whatever his claims, the Irish economy was being driven by a property bubble. Even your World Bank link recognises that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘The minimum wage…’ is closed to new replies.