Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • The heebie jeebies
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Do you ever get goose bumps on the back of your neck when riding somewhere remote or have gone down a route, had a bad feeling and turn back?

There were bridal paths around the N/E of England that I didn’t like driving down day or night, always felt as if I was being watched. I got really freaked out riding around Thrunton woods one evening when I lost my bearings.

THis week, due to being off and having the opportunity to explore the smaller roads around here, I have discovered I don’t like driving through sugar cane fields. Not sure what it is, whether it is the high cane, close to the track, the fact that nobody has any idea where I am, even though I am within 10km of home, or that Google shows them as a road, when they are just a dirt path around a field.

Whatever it is, it is full goosebumps, nervous riding. On New Years Eve I tried a route that connected two main roads together, and found a cane field . Part way through the sugar cane was all but covering the path arcing over it, I had to turn around and go back rather than squeeze through – I had thoughts of snakes, savage dogs, and being jumped on by drunks.

Where have you had them?

porlus
    Free Member

Used to get a funny vibe when in the car approaching and leaving the cross roads after Boroughbridge on the B6265 road. Used to make me shudder and look in my rear view mirror. Was always at night (driving home from a mates in Ripon) and always happened on that crossroads. Stopped driving on that road in the end.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m the scariest thing for 50 miles so I don’t get The heebie jeebies 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Was always at night (driving home from a mates in Ripon) and always happened on that crossroads. Stopped driving on that road in the end.

So did you use the even spookier backroad through Skelton? 😉

I used to get a weird thought of dragons jumping around part of Hamsterley Forest years ago, it was always the same place, where they’d been felling trees. Not scary or heeby jeeby but why would I only think that just there?

stewartc
    Free Member

Solo night rides out in the countryside near me, I know I should MTFU but I now make sure there is at least one other tidwr with me.

Northwind

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNn-VkhZiZE[/video]

porlus
    Free Member

So did you use the even spookier backroad through Skelton?

The one that comes out by Wiggington. If so, yes done it a few times. Never felt anything apart from the bumpy road surface 😆

hairyscary

Blackwater Lodge (deserted) in the Glenfiddich area. It’s out in the middle of nowhere and feels really isolated (think….3 hour loop, ridden maybe 12 times I only ever saw one other person, once).
    Every time I approached it I started to get very apprehensive (a large collection of crows didn’t help) and would absolutely leather it past.
    D
    This is it:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ3328

More pics:
    Main staircase and entrance hall

BobaFatt
    Free Member

jambourgie
    Free Member

Got a bit wierded out in Cavedale one night. I’d misjudged how quick it got dark and was stumbling down in the darkness to my car parked in Castleton. As I got near the bottom I put my hand in my pocket for my keys, and found that my car key had come off the ring somehow.

Now I’m not saying it was ghosts, but it WAS ghosts.

CountZero

There were bridal paths around the N/E of England that I didn’t like driving down day or night, always felt as if I was being watched

There’s probably a bunch of feral women lurking around there, looking to kidnap single men with a fear of matrimonial commitment.
    Definitely worth staying well clear… 😉

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Hairyscary…. Great pics! Sent a shiver down my spine looking at that old chair…. The creases seemed to change in every pic….almost like someone or something was shuffling about on it. I dare you to stay there one night…. Just the one. 🙂

wolly
    Free Member

Used to get a funny vibe when in the car approaching and leaving the cross roads after Boroughbridge on the B6265 road. Used to make me shudder and look in my rear view mirror. Was always at night (driving home from a mates in Ripon) and always happened on that crossroads. Stopped driving on that road in the end.

I know what you mean, it’s on my commute

hairyscary

Hairyscary…. Great pics! Sent a shiver down my spine looking at that old chair…. The creases seemed to change in every pic….almost like someone or something was shuffling about on it. I dare you to stay there one night…. Just the one.

Not on your nelly! Like I said, just being near the place makes me feel uneasy.

and the pictures are not mine, I just used to ride past as quick as I could 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Which crossroads Wolly? There’s a lot of crossroads between Boroughbridge & Wiggington!

binarysolo
    Free Member

There are some very sinister brick shelters on one of my local rides. I think they belong to the MOD given that’s it’s their land, so I always belt it past them just incase they are full of zombie squaddies.

And that’s In the daytime, on night rides I won’t go anywhere near the things………..

porlus
    Free Member

Which crossroads Wolly? There’s a lot of crossroads between Boroughbridge & Wiggington!

The one im on about is on York road just as you leave Boroughbridge. Just looked on googlemaps street view and its slap bang on a graveyard and church.

Bregante

I had a nervous moment on a commute home from a late shift at 2 a.m.

I got a puncture about 100 yds to the left of where this image was taken.

I was on a £1k bike which I sold very shortly afterwards. My tube change speed rivalled an F1 team that night.

wolly
    Free Member

I was thinking coming from the a1 church on the left turn left to Boroughbridge right to a59 and straight on to Aldborough

porlus
    Free Member

Is this the place (not sure the link will work)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.0891975,-1.3820466,17z

wolly
    Free Member

That’s the one!

porlus
    Free Member

Thats the very place I got my freaky vibe wolly.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There is a spot in the woods near my house which always gives me a slight chill. I was running past it one night at dusk when a monk came walking towards me in his habit. Really spooky until it turned out to be someone I know in a duffle coat!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Loads of places. I must be a contender for most geomagnetically challenged as get heebs regularly. I think you can now buy helmets to recreate these feelings. Science.

A few off the top:

– Llyn Cau (armchair lake below summit of Cader Idris). Have walked up there night and day and had the jeebs all the way up the falls and when arrived. Didn’t tell Mrs MR, but when we got back to the hotel she confided that she was intensely creeped-out by something inexplicable. Up there alone in the moonlight is something else entirely.

– Wychbury Hill, Worcestershire

– old mines on the Mach loop, above Machynlleth

– Porlock Common

– Cannock Chase, not far from the German cemetery, small stand of pines. Feeling of eldritch dread I can never shake off, friends and Mrs MR felt it too.

– The Hafod, nr Devil’s Bridge. Went alone to attempt to find lost engagement ring. Arrived at dawn, walked down by the river, near the old walled garden. My eyes were on stalks the whole time, presumably activated somehow by the hairs then standing on my neck.

– Forest around Strata Florida in the Hafren. We came, we parked to wild camp, we exited the car, we looked at each other, we got back in, we drove far away. Can’t explain it.

– Tuck Hill, nr Six Ashes/Enville. Funny little churchyard. I like graveyards in general, used to live in an old rectory with one beneath my bedroom window!

– Pole Cottage, along The Port Way, Long Mynd. Funny little shack up there, weird land, marsh, few raggedy trees with what looks like bronze age burial mound beyond. Was up there alone once under a still blood red moon, hearing this weird whirring noise in the air that was either a nightjar with issues or the invisible rattle of doom!

– West of England Quarry, Malvern. Probably are being watched tbh. Cars go there with townies innem!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

This thread is making me think I should do more night rides in scary places.

Not on my own. Obviously.

bigbloke
    Free Member

binary solo…..where is that?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The heebie jeebies mean something entirely in Scotland. Imagine you wake up the morning after your Christmas night out, you know you didn’t actually do anything with the lass from reception, maybe just a wee bit of flirting, harmless, but could have gone further.

You spent nigh on 200 quid, the wife has been on about a new washing machine for ages, and you’ve blown the money on a bottle of champagne in some shitehole of a hotel, cos it seemed like a good thing to do.

And you feel like shit, her family are coming round for dinner and drinks, and you feel like shit. It’s gonna be along day….

This is the heebie jeebies, also known as the cider spiders, if apple ale is yer tipple….

😆

bones
    Free Member

Thought I saw a ghost in Mosedale bothy, but I was tired, on the whisky n listening to sea sick steve, so unlikely. I have had some very spooky feelings hiking around the borders in Northumberland, which I’ve done a lot, but put it down to unconscious recollections of historic tales I’ve read. I’d love it if there was a supernatural side to it, but I’m a sceptic who looks for scientific answers first 😕

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I was out on a fault with work in darkest Kent near a place called Scrag Oak at 0200 a few months ago, it was peeing with rain in the middle of nowhere and as I stopped and turned off the van I was plunged into total darkness. I got out of the van with only a rubbish torch and was fumbling for the padlock keys I could feel something near me, a presence. I couldn’t see anything as there were no street lights and my torch was dimming badly. I managed to get the gate open and walked into the compound when…..
    a cow moo’ed VERY loudly in the field next to me!

I nearly pooed myself!

Proper sit down in the equipment room with the lights on to let the adrenaline rush disperse.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, go through a gate up on the moors in the middle of the night, clang it shut.
    Keep riding for a bit, then hear it clang again.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stumbled on a deer twice while running solo at night in woods. Once in a race and the other training for it – prepare for the worst!

bones
    Free Member

Another nice moment: when your headtourch illuminates about 50 sheep eyes in the pitch black 😯

binarysolo
    Free Member

bigbloke – it’s Hopwas Woods near Tamworth.

There used to be an abandoned house in the woods that’s way more spooky but it’s since been demolished (or at least I think it has, I haven’t summoned the courage to go and check)

butcher

Solo night rides out in the countryside near me…

It’s amazing how much noisier the wind and the wildlife become at night. My head is always darting from left to right, following every rustle. It’s good for getting your average speed up anyway.

Not sure about specific places, but I’ve certainly been more creeped out by some buildings than I have of others. Stopped in a bothy once, and aside from the anticipation that some ‘eccentric’ traveller might pop in at any time, it was fine really. Then I wandered across to another bothy the next morning and I felt really uncomfortable being there even in the daylight. Would have hated to have slept there (which as it happens was my original plan!)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was thinking coming from the a1 church on the left turn left to Boroughbridge right to a59 and straight on to Aldborough

You must have the heebies! There’s no church there, just a graveyard.
    I live about 3/4 of a mile from it.

galactus
    Free Member

On the old railway track above Burrator reservoir to Princetown, on Dartmoor
    1:30ish in the morning, mist and fog, when my light catches two red glowing eyes….
    I did a quick double check to confirm…yep vampire red and slightly above me to my right, I was on a raised section of the railway, anything to my right must be 20ft tall or flying! So definitely a monster…..Asked my pal who was 6ft behind me if he saw any red eyes, he didn’t!
    For the next 6months on night rides I wondered/worried about this…then out of the blue I read an article about Barn owls….apparently they have a bright red layer behind/at the back of their eye to optimise light at night. I felt so much happier 🙂

wolly
    Free Member

Meh looks churchy that was close enough for me

bigbloke
    Free Member

binary solo…..the buildings are old grenade throwing bays/ranges

See here…..last page for map

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/byelaws/Pdfs/WestMidlands/Lapsed/Whittington%20Grenade%20Range/SI-1396-1965-P1-P7.pdf

here too…… http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2108498

Nowt sinister….or is it a disguised bio zombie lab 🙂

binarysolo
    Free Member

Nice find, I love old historical documents.

Now that all sounds very plausible, exactly the sort of thing they want you to to think. A classic opening to a horror movie if you ask me! Luckily they’re to the side of that big hill so I can zoom past without looking.

Have you done a night ride there? The whole woods give me the heebie jeebies what with the witches, concrete bunkers and the pet cemetery.

CountZero

On the old railway track above Burrator reservoir to Princetown, on Dartmoor
    1:30ish in the morning, mist and fog, when my light catches two red glowing eyes..

I’ve been through Princetown twice by car, once on a foggy, misty day, once in sunshine, and there’s a wierd atmosphere there even in sunshine, not sure I’d want to ride alone out there.
    Can’t say I’ve been creeped out by any specific locations, though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘The heebie jeebies’ is closed to new replies.