Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The great recessionary Euro roadtrip
  • corroded
    Free Member

Since things in my line of work are likely to be very quiet for the immediate future (perhaps permanently), I’m tempted to take a few months out and see some friends around Europe and all the great places I’ve missed so far.

I’ll be packing a bike, walking boots, climbing shoes and a tent into my car. So, with three months to spend in Europe, what are your top five suggestions for places to go and things to do?

My shortlist at the moment is:
    – NW Spain and the Asturias, perhaps via the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
    – hiking some of the GRs, perhaps some sections of the Via Alpina (can GRs be biked at all?)
    – riding in Slovenia
    – Bologna, not sure why, but the home of bolognese and Umberto Eco can’t be that bad
    – driving across the Millau viaduct or the Oresund bridge (Denmark to Sweden)

What would you do?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to the Normandy Beaches and the Somme.

MrFart
    Free Member

Millau is worthwile, some nice riding in the area and around the bridge (there is a great trail under the left side of the bridge as you look out from town). Also check out the Georges du Tarn (*sp) which is very close by and defo the canyon du verdon which is reasonably close. As you will be near it would recomend Ventoux – may not be the highest HC climb but I rekon it’s one of the most stunning.

Slovenia/ Italian dolomites are also fantastic- I find riding in Italy to be better than in france and the MTBing is superb. Slovenia is beutiful but the people are really grumpy.

Did a similar thing a few years ago (cycled from Bordeaux to Croatia in three months) and had the best time of my life. Am jealous…

Spongebob
    Free Member

A few days in Chamonix for definite! Biking is awesome there, but you need a full-suspension bike really.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve ridden the Lake Garda area and fancied riding in Liguria – there’s a 24hr race in Finale in May I think. Will be taking a hardtail tho.
    Funny you should say that about Slovenia – got a very grumpy friend from uni who has settled there, now I know why.

ourmaninthenorth

corroded – you lukcy, lucky basta….. 😉

Go everywhere! Have fun!

nasher
    Free Member

Hey corroded, defiantely visit Liguria (take a look on my site for info) and the Finale 24hr race is indeed in May, but if you havent already entered its now full…unless you want to go solo!!!

MTT
    Free Member

Can I come. Sounds like a great idea, I might look into it myself.

You are not in the construction industry are you?

willyboy
    Free Member

Triglav park in Slovenia is nice – we went walking there – not sure if you can bike there though. We also went canyoning there in a thunderstorm which was quite scary, but fun.
    Santiago is worth a look, but its very religious! You’ll see lots of hikers who have done the route with their sticks and lots of day trippers & some impressive building work/ churchey stuff.
    Northern Portugal is not far away – we passed through it on the train (via vigo – i think) going south to Oporto -it was very cheap, had some amazing scenery and worth more of an explore.

corroded
    Free Member

Good call willyboy – always wanted to see Porto. Cork forests too. Added to the list.
    MTT – no, publishing/journalism. This thing called the interweb is having an ebola-like effect on the industry. So, it’s also a chance to work out what I might do with the next few years.
    nasher – can’t see your site in your profile. Am probably being thick.

willyboy
    Free Member

i sadly hadn’t tasted port until a couple of years ago, so didn’t bother going to try some whilst there 😥
    Good excuse for going back though…

peteimpreza

If you are in Slovenia in September I’ll show you around Maribor

steveh

A couple of friends on mine biked the GR5 for a couple of hundred miles a few years ago, sounded pretty good.

nasher
    Free Member

nasher – can’t see your site in your profile. Am probably being thick.

Must update my profile

try here

spooky_b329

This place has gotta be worth a visit. (actually if you value your life, maybe just look from a distance!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaeQykTZRHw

twohats
    Free Member

driving across the Millau viaduct or the Oresund bridge (Denmark to Sweden)

The only problem with driving to Sweden from Denmark via the bridge is that driving through Germany and Denmark is one of the dullest driving experiences ever (Germany being the slight exception due to the unrestricted sections of Autobahn madness!). Flat, featureless and boring spring to mind, although Copenhagen at the start of the bridge is a very nice city to visit.
    Whilst the bridge is very impressive to drive over, it is expensive (£35 ish each way). Malmö, at the Swedish end of the bridge is not the most exciting city in Sweden to visit either!
    Both the south of Sweden and Denmark are very flat, so don’t expect much in the way of amazing mountain biking.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The great recessionary Euro roadtrip’ is closed to new replies.