Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The Friday Performance and Photography thread – Thrills and spills edition
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above really, let’s see some of your finest sporting photography, loosely based around a dual theme of thrills and spills. Ideally, how about we have one of each per post?

Getting deep in to the toe edge. Love this picture!

And then this classic number from Hadleigh Park;

willard

Nice first photo Cap. Allow me to keep with the watery them and get a bit of wakeskating in…

And another, showing the downsides.

Muke
    Free Member

Thrills from BBB2012…

and

The spill from BBB2011…

wwaswas

same driver @ Shelsey Walsh

thrills;

spills;

TimP
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bit difficult for me to come up with my usual hurling one for this theme, but here’s my best effort:

Thrill & A Spill:

Lar Corbett (Tipperary, Blue and Gold) about to score the first goal of the Munster final against Waterford (Blue and White):

I have no idea where the third hurley has come from. Somebody’s either dropped it or thrown it. Hopefully, that counts as a spill.

EDIT: The goals are to the top left of the picture.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice work so far, folks!

Y Darc, are you allowed to just lob yer bat at someone then? Is a “spill” an allowed lobbing, or only for when it’s been dropped? I know the sum total of eff-all about hurling other than it looks a bit like ice hockey without the ice!

Another couple from me;

A Dart 16 “pinning it”

A Dart 16 “binning it”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Y Darc, are you allowed to just lob yer bat at someone then?

No, as far as I know, you’re not. But sometimes, someone in desperation will lob the hurley hoping to hook the player taking the shot. It never works though and the hurley would never be slung directly at the player. My guess would be that if the shot is disrupted, a free hit would be given. There is every possibility that a player has fallen over and lost the hurley just out of shot. I just like the fact that there are two hurlers and three hurleys in the shot. 🙂

tonyg2003

That Dart “pinging it” photo looks very much like Vassiliki. Great MTB trails from +3000ft there, and windsurfing/sailing too. Fab place.

TimP
    Free Member

Sorry misread

you got the spill, but the thrill is a bit more difficult as a photo will never do him justice

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I just like the fact that there are two hurlers and three hurleys in the shot

Agreed, makes me wonder what on earth happened beforehand!

Tony, you a Neilson-ite, then?

Pigface
    Free Member

Isnt the ball called the “sliver”

binners

Waynes birthday present to me 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Thrill – Richard Browne thrilled to get a silver. Brought a tear to the eye!

Spill! Wheelchair rugby

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isnt the ball called the “sliver”

Close…it’s called a sliotar…phonetically…”shlitter” (that’s with an Irish tt, not a glottal stop). It’s about the same size as a cricket ball, hockey ball etc, but nowhere near as hard and has a raised seam (much more than a cricket ball seam). You play with different weight sliotars as you go up through the age ranges.

Another loose hurley…it’s fairly obvious who this one belongs to:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thrill – Richard Browne thrilled to get a silver. Brought a tear to the eye!

It was awesome seeing him being presented wasn’t it? The warmth between the competitors at the presentation made for a beautiful moment didn’t it? 😀

binners

A fantastic shot from 99

always makes me smile

jam-bo

So close to a spectacular win….

DezB
    Free Member

It was awesome seeing him being presented wasn’t it? The warmth between the competitors at the presentation made for a beautiful moment didn’t it?

Sure did – it was almost as good as the actual race! 🙂

jam-bo

Oof.

tiggs121
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A few, erm, “spills” from the game binners worships without question…

And let’s face it, no diving compilation would be complete without…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Tha second one of Jam bo’s is amazing! Can you take credit for the shot?

swavis

A couple of my own from Fort William 2011

Thrills

Fort William World Cup 2011 017 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

Spills

Fort William World Cup 2011 229 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

wwaswas

kayak23

Sorry, cheating a bit but this has some amazing ‘videography’. ..
    It’s packed full of thrills but skip to about 1.30 for a crazy spill where it’s hard to work out how boat and paddler got so spectacularly separated…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPchTx0QTKw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thrills;

Spills;

theotherjonv

Thrills:

Spills:

ChrisL

Some random French rider not nailing a drop at the Tignes bike park:

Our own Northwind doing it right:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwind is teh radnezz! Like it!

How about some of this…

Scrubbage from the Bubbage

Chad Reed. He didn’t mean to do this;

Pigface
    Free Member

Chad Reed got back on and scored points in that race.

How about this one for a “spill” 😯

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Northwind is teh radnezz!

Smaller than it looks tbh… But doing it with a concussed french bloke sat beside the runout made it a bit harder :mrgreen:

matt_outandabout

Steve Fisher, what a legend…
    Thrills:

Spills:

To handle the extreme conditions, Bradt, 25, designed special “chastity belts” to keep the paddlers’ spray skirts from imploding, and each man carried extra flotation devices and miniature emergency scuba tanks in their life vests. Fisher used his tank once, when he was dragged into a massive whirlpool and held down for more than a minute. “I was about to black out when I remembered I had it,” he says.

“We were all terrified pretty much the whole time,” adds Sturges, 27, who contracted malaria and then spent a week in a Portland, Oregon, hospital with flesh-eating bacteria gnawing at his elbow—an infection he has yet to fully recover from.

grahamh
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The Friday Performance and Photography thread – Thrills and spills edition’ is closed to new replies.