Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The fox rear shock mod for a joplin 4 – anyone done it?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

In a mag it state dtaht changing a seal on a joplin 4 for the seal from a fox rear shock helped life between cleans/services. Is this the top seal under the screw collar?
    Where can you buy this seal? Anyone done it? easy? results?

LoCo
    Free Member

send me a link and i’ll have a look which seal it is 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

some sold a joplin recently in classifieds that had the mod, might be worth a search to track em down?

edit, done it for you, it was “scud”

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-oddities-hope-joplin-xt-fox-raceface-giro-etcfreebieswith-pics

z1ppy

if it the same article I read, shocker in “what MTB”, it just says:
    [of the joplin 4] “needs lot TLC though & possible unoffical upgrade to get the best from it”….. ” the seals are okay but we know several riders who have fitted the seal from a fox float rear shock, which extends service intervals significantly”

rob-jackson
    Free Member

loco i presume it is the seal that is at the end of the shock body where teh shaft exits/enters (shock fanny??)

mr_mills
    Free Member

I did it the other day after seeing it mentioned in that mag. Only ridden with it once since then so it’s early days but the seal is much tighter compared to the shite baggy one that the post came with.

(Yes it is the seal where the shaft meets the collar bit)

LoCo
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member

loco i presume it is the seal that is at the end of the shock body where teh shaft exits/enters

(shock fanny??)

LOL

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Expect this works on the Joplin 3 as well? Price for the seal LoCo?

LoCo
    Free Member

You’d have to buy a whole Fox Float rear shock seal kit as they don’t come separatly and the RRP has just gone up to £17 on these (although I’ll be cheaper 😉 ), am going to have a word with my seal manufacturer to see what they have in stock.

kimbers

youve got to wonder how CB manage to spec such pants seals in the first place im assuming they cost a few pounds/pence on a 200 quid seatpost

mr_mills
    Free Member

You’d have to buy a whole Fox Float rear shock seal kit as they don’t come separatly and the RRP has just gone up to £17 on these (although I’ll be cheaper ), am going to have a word with my seal manufacturer to see what they have in stock.

Damn I pinched the seal out of a Fox kit I already had! Will be needing to replace this seal when the time comes for a shock service.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just to re-report. I took this apart today for the first time in 3 months. Grease wasas fresh as when it went in!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks for the update Cruzheckler.

I’ve kept an old fox seal for this very purpose – but I cant find a guide on what needs to be done. Do you just remove the brass bush thingys with a torx key, remove old seal, slide new one one and reassemble? Anything else?

Northwind

I’ve probably got an old RP23 seal somewhere, I never throw anything interesting out… Could have a look if anyone needs it.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Northwind if you don’t mind having a look wouldn’t mind it off you please 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Member

Thanks for the update Cruzheckler.

I’ve kept an old fox seal for this very purpose – but I cant find a guide on what needs to be done. Do you just remove the brass bush thingys with a torx key, remove old seal, slide new one one and reassemble? Anything else?
    Posted 21 hours ago # Report-Post

exactly what you do yes

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Better give mine some tlc as its somehow managed a grim Scottish winter and survived 2 megaavalanches without any maintenance at all 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

exactly what you do yes

Appreciated! I’ll be in the shed tomorrow!

mr_mills
    Free Member

Mine’s been working perfectly since I did mine 3 months ago too. Normally have to strip / clean / regrease every couple of rides but not any more. Superb upgrade and takes about 1 minute to do.

Northwind

Will do Valleydaddy. If you don’t hear from me in the next few days, would not be a bad idea to email me 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

This should work on a Joppers 2?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just an update on this – I finally got round to putting the fox seal in (from an rp23), reassembled and noticed obvious play around the seal.

Rocking the upper tube forward and back meant I could ‘almost’ see past the seal into the lower tube – if that makes sense. The seal was fitted under the collar and protuded above it – just like the original.

Anyway I’ve put the original back in (now no play at all) but I’m wondering if I’ve missed something or maybe something else is worn out (those white plastic rings?). Any ideas?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So it’s just me.
    🙁

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sounds wrong that, mine does not rock at all. you did the base nut up and put the guide blocks back on yeah?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yep – everything was done up tight. On mine the original seal under the collar is really thick and seems to offer some support to the shaft. The fox one is much thinner. Could I be missing something else really obvious?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

is the seal psuhed all the way into the gap?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yes – its outside is flush against the collar, right up to the top of the collar and the “flangey”/lips bit is sticking out above the collar – maybe 3mm.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

don’t know then, post a pic

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Will do – probably Monday. I suspect I’m doing something daft.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

OK – I’ve tried it again and same result. Took some photos this time. Any ideas welcome.

Original seal installed & no play:

Rp23 seal (on the left) vs the original seal:

I also tried it with (and without) one of the other rp23 seals underneath the one with the lips to make it taller: like this:

Reassembled like this:

Results look like this:

It still rocks forward and back. Anything obviously different to you guys?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not the same seal as mine

rob-jackson
    Free Member

my seal is virtually the same as the original

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks Cruzheckler – that explains it.

The fox seal was exactly the same as a new one from a service kit so it looks like my Joplin 4 is a bit different to others – maybe model year or something.

Appreciate the help!

shaley
    Free Member

So what seal (fox shox kit) do I need to purchase?

Anyone know where to get the joplin service kits from?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Loco sent me one from a float service kit

Del

the seal shouldn’t have any control over the shaft ( though i realise in your case it does ). if it does there’s something else wrong IMO. i’d be inclined to reassemble it with original parts and have 2pure look at it.
    my 2p.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks Del. Its not long back from 2pure. Tbh – it is working perfectly – I just wanted to improve it!

If it aint broke…etc

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cws – where are you based?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

cws – where are you based?

Edinburgh

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ask mark in the bike chain for his opinion

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The fox rear shock mod for a joplin 4 – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.