Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • back2basics
    Free Member

anyway enuff of this trolling,

merc looking impressive in testing – has Ferrari taken a step back,
    everyone will be talking about boring season once more and time for mega rule changes…..
    ..and so the f1 cycle continues..
    will this be the state of our posts for each race to come i wonder?

ps. @hora for me
    mansell, rosberg, all ferrari drivers except irvine and rubens, alesi, herbert, and ferrari-schumi when he returned to merc too.

anyone want to take a bet on the first wet race of the season and who will win it?

pondo

back2basics –
    i noticed you failed to mention / desccribe the 95 season

I haven’t brought up any season, I’ve just been correcting your mistakes.

… ps. @hora for me
    mansell…

Aaaaa, NOW I understand.

nickc

I hear people saying they want F1 ‘fixed’ but what does that mean?

For me a good place to start would be…

Tyres, they’re shocking, either introduce some competition to Perilli or sort out the degradation issue (yes I know that’s what Bernie wants)

Fuel management: F1 should be flat out 100% of the time, the fact that Mercedes can generally lap a second faster when it suits them reveals that drivers are having to manage fuel, and not driving to the limits.

Speed: The cars are going round too slow.

Looks: Yes I know it’s subjective, but the current cars are shit looking.

Aerodynamics: That Hamilton was unable to close on Vettel or run closer than a second behind him is just stupid, the fact that they needed to introduce an artificial overtaking aid is even more stupider.

…Would go someway to fixing the issues

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Its interesting the mirror of f1 and motogp where the haves and have nots are clear. One thing is Dorna does support the lower teams. There is still the problem of factory v customer teams.
    Squinty eyes needs to stop making a show and start making a sport that generates interest.

Why do footie fans head off to watch a game and eat dodgy pies and sausage rolls? Its the expectation that their team might win and their presence might make a difference. The drivers are so detached from the fans, show us more of the teams ( the hard working guys at the factory and in the pits). I want to hear from Jason the jack man. If Kimi wont talk to the press how about the chef from ferrari?
    There is a team in F1 !

pondo

F1 should be flat out 100% of the time…

I do wonder whether that’s ever been the case? There’s always been something you have to manage – I’ve never been a fan of refuelling but I don’t mind them having to look after fuel and tyres.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

F1 strategy group headed by bobby fernley makes a lot of noise about cost cap. This is the same team that moaned about Manor coming into the new season. Seems ironic he bases his cost cap points on keeping 6 teams going when he’d ideally wanted 5 teams and more money at the beginning of the season.

There are the racers and the moaners .. karma is coming for you Fernley.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit I find the fuel management/DRS system plain stupid.

Cars are racing round in circles after being flown round the world every two weeks burning tbousands of gallons of aviation fuel into the atmosphere.

Jesus its like a large scale fraud of M&S ‘plan A because there is no plan b’ bollocks (M&S seem to use the most packaging for their products)

skiboy
    Free Member

“show us more of the teams ( the hard working guys at the factory and in the pits). “

😀

the-muffin-man

F1 should be flat out 100% of the time…

During the Bridgestone/Refuelling era F1 was pretty much flat-out. And some of the races where very dull indeed.

You need something that adds an element of randomness, and with the drive to make engines more reliable that option has been taken away.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought the Mercs weren’t actually limited by total fuel allowance, hence that is nothing to do with them backing off (and if it was, it would be far more sensible to drive a little faster all the time and employ lift and coast etc. rather than burning lots in a single lap blast).

Looks: Yes I know it’s subjective, but the current cars are shit looking.

Maybe not as pretty as the classics, but we have now seen what shit cars look like, and it’s not this year’s ones!

Aerodynamics: That Hamilton was unable to close on Vettel or run closer than a second behind him is just stupid, the fact that they needed to introduce an artificial overtaking aid is even more stupider.

Which is indeed a problem. Has been a problem in general – and more particularly at Barcelona – ever since aero downforce was introduced. The trouble is, solving that one is likely to make the cars slower, which presumably isn’t what you want? In any case it’s certainly not an issue at most of the circuits – plenty of overtaking even without the use of DRS recently.

aracer
    Free Member

I still reckon all circuits need sprinkler systems which are switched on at a random time in each race (in order to give the teams an impression of being in control, simulated weather forecasts of variable accuracy shall be supplied). Has a wet race ever been boring?

richmtb

Tyres:

I’m pretty sure Pirelli could easily make tyres that survive a race distance, but it would be bloody boring if they did. Tyre deg and how teams adapt to it, having driver on different strategies adds to the racing rather than detracts from it.

Speed:

Current F1 cars are only a couple of second slower than the 3.5 litre V10s which hold the lap records.

Aero:

Agree this is an issue, the answer could be more downforce generated by ground effect. Front wings with less elements but ran closer to the ground, larger rear diffuser (still without any of the blown diffuser nonsense) would help the cars run closer without them losing too much downforce and therefore lap time.

Overtaking:

In a race where the cars start in order from fastest at the front to slowest at the back overtaking doesn’t logically follow!
    Personally I don’t have an issue with DRS it works well to get cars which are out of position back up the field, if cars are evenly matched than it can make for some fun battles as they pass and re-pass each other. Get shot of tracks where its very difficult to overtake!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Cant the FIA just add weight to handicap the faster cars like in touring cars to even the field up a bit ?

pondo

Then you get a big strategic push to be in a promising position with the minimum weight penalty heading into the final rounds, and the FIA (like us all) want to just see everyone going for the win week in week out.

With regards to aero, I know this has been brought up before, but for me I think the less aero the better. I know the comparison has been made that the best races are wet races where mechanical grip is massively cut, but I also suspect that the resulting chop in aero plays a big part. Big tyres, no wings, that’s what I’d vote for.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bring back these:

pondo

That (pre-wings and Gold Leaf sponsorship) is my favourite racing car ever (except maybe the 917).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I did like the first silly tall rear wing too. Most beautiful f1 car ever.

pondo

And Chapman’s genius at a level that the rules forbid even now – have the wings apply downforce to the wheels directly through the stub axles, so you can set the chassis up to handle, rather than manage downforce. Dude was a twisted genius. 🙂

igm

After the first race, the grid goes in reverse championship order. Points all down the field.

At least you’d know that the championship winner worked for it, but also it would ask questions of when was the right time to attack. Now it’s always as soon as possible because the cars at the front are about to disappear.

back2basics
    Free Member

nothing out of the big F1 meeting yesterday, apart from “customer cars” on the horizon,
    another band-aid plaster over the issues, let the bigger teams get bigger and other teams die and becomes ‘B’ teams.

eg:
    $125million gets your a year old ferrari chassis + powertrain + gearbox for 1 season – small print “you cannot ever overtake A team”
    please sign here.
    F1 is great again.

nemesis
    Free Member

That small print already exists to some degree…

pondo

Refuelling’s back for 2017 – wish I hadn’t mentioned it now. 🙁

sobriety
    Free Member

😡

scotroutes

Until the first pit-lane fire….

PJM1974
    Free Member

Load of old bollix if you ask me.

What’s needed is a cheaper power unit, better tyres, less reliance on paying drivers, a standardised aero package (ie wings are FIA standard for all teams), something that sounds like a 1995 Ferrari V12 or a 2001 Williams BMW and drivers who speak their minds and get pissed a lot.

Oh and “Sex – The Breakfast of Champions” to become the official McLaren team motto.

PJM1974
    Free Member

And refuelling was bollix in 2008 and is bollix now.

njee20
    Free Member

I still reckon all circuits need sprinkler systems which are switched on at a random time in each race (in order to give the teams an impression of being in control, simulated weather forecasts of variable accuracy shall be supplied). Has a wet race ever been boring?

That would be brilliant.

the-muffin-man

Even better would be allowing the teams to fit ‘Wacky Races’ style add-ons – oil-slicks, smoke screens, nails dropped, tyre cutters, detour signs…!

scotroutes

Indy, but… 😯
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/32751484

Just show what can happen when aero goes wrong

slowoldman

I’ve never been a fan of F1 as a fuel consumption event. Bring back V12s, loads of fuel, free tyres and reduce aero.

igm

Drivers assigned randomly to teams/cars for each race weekend

milky1980
    Free Member

You’re all harking back to the past, unfortunately the engine manufacturers and eco-worries won’t allow that to happen.

What I think F1 needs is the following:

Allow refuelling so the cars can run light all race, also reintroduces the strategy element.

Keep the fuel flow limit so that the engineers work on improving the efficiency of the hybrid unit, run it flat out all race. This can be raised to get more power and lowered to rein the engines in if they get too quick.

Bigger wheels and tyres, 16-17″ would fit the cars well.

Reduce the wing sizes to miniscule levels, something like they use at Monza. That way they are used to tune the handling balance only.

Allow a bit of ground effect to generate the cornering speeds.

Wider track on the suspension, with the wider tyres mechanical grip would be
    better.

Get rid of DRS, it’s artificial and rarely adds anything.

Allow free choice on tyres but limit them to only having 4 options: one that will last all race, two that will need to be changed mid-race (one harder, one softer) and a banzai soft option that would last 10-15 laps. They’re allowed only two compounds for the weekend and have to use both in the race unless they go for the all-race option. Possibly give all teams the one control option for qualifying to even things up.

On the political side:

Redistribution of the funds for competing.

Move back towards classic circuits that reward driver skill and promote overtaking opportunities.

Reduce the influence certain teams have over the rules.

Doubt most of it will happen but you can hope!

sobriety
    Free Member

Allow refuelling so the cars can run light all race, also reintroduces the strategy element.

But don’t make it mandatory. If you’re on the tyres that’ll go a full race distace, you don’t want to stop for fuel.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’ve never been a fan of F1 as a fuel consumption event.

F1 has always been a fuel consumption event, it’s just we know more about it now as we are privy to so much more information that in the past. The size of the engine and the fuel tank doesn’t change that.

The idea is to get to the checkered flag as fast as possible, brimming the tank and going flat out is not the fastest way as the heavy fuel makes you slow at the start, wears your tyres more etc. This was true in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But back then without telemetry and radios we just saw excitement as one car closed in on another and tried to pass, we were blissfully unaware that the speed differential was due to someone trying to save fuel. Now we have the same dynamic but a comentator who understands what’s happening, pit radio so we hear the driver being told to save fuel etc. The end result is the same, driver closes/pulls away but it seems more benign once we know its about fuel saving.

Refueling doesn’t change this, the less fuel you use the longer you are stationary in the pits, the less you wear out your tyres etc.

Whether you like it or not going racing will always be about managing fuel unless you make the fuel a lesser element of the total weight of the car. But heavier cars wouldn’t be fast and F1 needs to be the fastest or it’s not F1.

It’s basically a catch 22 where the thing that made the pinacle of motorsport exciting has been engineered out by the reletless technological improvement. But this cannot be unlearned and going back to the past will not make the future more exciting.

IMO, F1 needs to take the shackels off a bit, allow more inventive solutions, be nearer the edge, faster. The issue with that is cost and safety and they are (rightly) paranoid about killing drivers. But I feel safety has advanced suffiecntly to allow cars to go faster due to more powerful engines and more efficent aero. Cost is harder to police but more scope in the rules would mean someone with a idea could make a leap rather than just working within very tight margins trying to outspend everyone on CFD and wind tunnel analysis of every minutiae of every surface.

So stop tinkering round the edges with re-fueling and tyre compounds as they will make f all difference. Do 2 things…
    a) Allow ground effect areo by getting the front wing closer to the ground and shape the floor.
    b) Allow more powerful engines

Done.

milky1980
    Free Member

But don’t make it mandatory. If you’re on the tyres that’ll go a full race distance, you don’t want to stop for fuel.

That’ll be up to how big they design the fuel tanks, a compromise on car design balanced against strategy flexibility. Guarantee everyone will go for a smaller tank. Possibly make it so that while the car is stationary you can either fuel it or change tyres, not both at the same time. Same as they do at Le Mans.

So stop tinkering round the edges with re-fueling and tyre compounds as they will make f all difference. Do 2 things…
    a) Allow ground effect aero by getting the front wing closer to the ground and shape the floor.
    b) Allow more powerful engines

Done.

Also known as Can-Am 🙂

bombjack
    Free Member

Refueling gets banned to encourage closer racing and “spice it up”.
    Then refuelling comes back to encourage closer racing and “spice it up”
    Whats wrong with F1 is that it disappeared so far up its own whatoosie its become a shadow of its former self. Reliability, even with the new hybrid engines is so high the lower teams cant hope to get a good payday. The idea of the drivers hitting ideal delta times because the tyres are made of cheese are a joke. The cars need more power, and the tools to lay that down on the track. If it means stock bodywork then so be it.
    Decrease the technical regs, stop knee jerk reactions to clever engineering (mass damper anyone?), revert back to pushing the technology so if its a 65 lap race the engine will pop on lap 66.
    And whilst we’re at it bring back the fag money and decent liveries.
    Humph! makes me sound like an old man.

KonaTC

The fat controller wants more money
    wants more money, wants more money
    The fat controller wants more money, wants more money

all day long

F1 drivers/team owners go wah wah wah.
    Wah wah wah. Wah wah wah.
    The F1 drivers/team owners go wah wah wah. Wah wah wah.

all day long

The re-fuelling rig goes on and off
    on and off, , on and off
    The re-fuelling rig goes on and off, on and off

all day long

The TV audience switches off

Truly an entertainment industry in trouble {shakes head}{rolls eyes}

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

lets get rid of ol squinty eyes and get someone who has some fresh ideas. The current lot dont know their arse from their elbow. It clearly shows they havent got a clue and are miles away from anything that attracts new fans. When squinty says he doesnt care about getting younger fans it says it all.
    No fans no money no show.

thegreatape
    Free Member

For each Championship point a driver has, he must eat a square of Ex-Lax before the race. You could have bogs at the pits, perhaps with those short doors so you can see the drivers faces while they’re having a ‘pit stop’.

nemesis
    Free Member

1000!

(bhp)

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.