Viewing 40 posts - 6,441 through 6,480 (of 6,677 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

“Which UK manufacturers would those be?  The only one really left is JLR, and they’re not exactly playing in the same space.”

Mini, Nissan, Honda, Toyota still being made in the UK.. Not in massive numbers, but still nearly 800000 cars in 2022 apparently.

johndoh
    Free Member

Massive discount on pre-registered Nissan Leafs

revs1972
    Free Member

1000 miles into ID BUZZ life and everything is good so far. Pleased with the current 3 miles / kwh for something about as aerodynamic as a house brick. Very comfortable to drive , lots of rear passenger and boot space. Massage seats are welcome. Its not luxury car smooth , but its a step up from the T6.1 .
    The infotainment system not as good as other cars I have owned, but seeing as its in AppleCarPlay mode most of the time then that’s no real issue.
    Got its first long journey coming up , going on a site visit and delivering around 300 Kg of steel plates so will be interesting to see how that weight affects efficiency.
    Been out of the EV game for 8 months , so which are the better value chargers at the moment ?. Upcoming journey will be around 600 miles , so will be looking at minimum 2 charges whilst on the road. Rough journey will be Devon, Bristol , Buckinghamshire, London, Wiltshire then back to Devon. Will there be any Tesla Chargers open to the public on those routes ? M5/M4 going up then coming back on the A303. Which is the correct Tesla App to download as Appstore has various different ones

multi21
    Free Member

johndohFree Member
    Massive discount on pre-registered Nissan Leafs…

Bloody hell that’s decent, for my use it’s no good because of the range/slow charging but for those needing a local run-around that’s epic.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bloody hell that’s decent, for my use it’s no good because of the range/slow charging but for those needing a local run-around that’s epic.

Yeah that’s what I thought – as a town car it would be great. I currently have a 13 yr old diesel that is worth around £6k and only gets used for short journeys so a net cost of £9k for a brand new car is very tempting. I wonder how many more such crazy deals on electric cars will pop up in the next year…

DrP

They were actually cheaper …

Like 12.4k a month or so ago… But that was prob another dealer offer.

DrP

johndoh
    Free Member

They were actually cheaper …

Wow – I saw the Fiat 500e for that sort of price a while back, but never the Leaf.

DrP

Hmm..maybe that’s what I was remembering 😂 😂 😂

Ignore me…carry on!

DrP

mert
    Free Member

the Polestar is a completely different design language.

It was a Volvo until a good way through the design process.

40.1 and 40.2 were the original design concepts.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Leaf is a great city car.

I wonder how many more such crazy deals on electric cars will pop up in the next year…

Not many like that I reckon. Leafs are known to be old tech and they have stopped making them so these are on clearance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, I’ve booked a place in Germany for half term and the current plan is to take the EV.  It’s 660 miles ish.  ABRP reckons we will want 6 charges along the way, but it’s carefully calculating the optimum charging times based on the charging curve of the car.  Most of the charge stops are like 15 or 20% to between 70 and 80%.  I had to put a maximum speed in because it otherwise would have had me driving flat out on the Autobahn at 103mph. Funnily enough it made almost no difference to the overall journey time dropping this to 81mph.  It reckoned it would take me 9hrs of driving, and 2h37 of charging, giving me 12h45 or so because it thinks I’m taking the tunnel

However, I programmed the trip into the car satnav to see what charging stations it would select, and it suggested four charging stops – but the total travel time was 12h10, however I’m not sure how it is accounting for the channel crossing. That suggests I’d be charging to higher percentages to do fewer stops, but it’s not giving me a break down. I will probably drive according to the satnav as it has live charger info and ABRP doesn’t (nor does it appear on Android Auto) unless you pay.

I’m also going to get rid of the crappy tyres.   I reckon I can get another 15 miles of range with something decent.  I could get Michelin e.Primacy which have good RR and are quiet, but they are allegedly a bit less comfortable. The alternatives are Conti Eco Contact 6 which I really liked on the Leaf, or Bridgestone Turanza Eco.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bugger. My wife’s passport doesn’t have enough validity.  Gonna have to go somewhere else.

pedlad

multi21Free Member
    johndohFree Member
    Massive discount on pre-registered Nissan Leafs…

That is a mighty deal and tempting for Mrs P…..not too bothered about range or slow charging but it’s the use of Chademo that would stop me. A dying standard it feels like out and about on the public network.

retrorick

Bugger. My wife’s passport doesn’t have enough validity.

Is the boot of the ioniq not big enough for her? 😉

simon_g

Chademo isn’t a problem today – there’s very few places that are CCS-only and most have a good alternative close by. Lots of new sites being deployed with chademo too, many still with it on every charger. Plus there’s a viable adaptor now for CCS (it costs about a grand) if it does start being a problem in years to come. You’re not going to be crossing continents but a 200ish mile day trip with a quick charge is no problem.

A new 39kwh N-Connecta at £15k is bonkers value, the Leaf is one of the few EVs I’d be comfortable owning privately for 10+ years (it’s a simple, well-known, reliable platform), the spec is good with heated seats/wheel, 360 cameras, adaptive cruise, CarPlay etc. It’s a nice size for family use, not too big but a massive boot. Battery is warranted for 8 years / 100k miles, if you want a warranty on the rest after 3 years then Nissan do a package of warranty, service, MOT and full Euro breakdown for £34 a month or £400 a year.

Edukator
    Free Member

The Zoe came with Michelin Primacy 4. I replaced with Michelin Cross Climate. The CCs have so far equalled the life of the Primacy on the front with life left and have worn evenly unlike the Primacy which wore on inside and outside edges (no feathering to indicate tracking misalignment and normal wear with CCs). No difference in range that I’ve noticed.

No difference in noise or comfort. I prefer the feel of the CCs, not that I push them hard, the car is sure footed whatever the surface and exceptional on the mix of wet, slush, snow, ice, mud… going skiing.

davy90
    Free Member

We picked up the model Y today from Brent Cross, a very underwhelming experience for our first ever new car… Car park and portacabin next to a flyover in deepest NW London.. insurance paid (eyewatering amount) and off we went.

We popped into Westfield for a practice charge and to use our 100miles of free supercharging. Grabbed a quick bite to eat whilst the car charged to 80% and then I dropped off Mrs Davy90 in central London and head home. Have been through the various menus and paired my phone, set profiles etc.

The car is seriously pokey in it’s faster mode, set to ‘chill’ now for general pootling about. I may learn to love the minimal interior, I like the idea, but in execution there are some poorly resolved bits of design.

It is comfy, and unlike it’s predecessor (ancient e92 330i) it copes quietly with speed bumps and is overall very easy to drive. I like the regen one pedal braking thing.

Now sat in the driveway plugged in. My phone now can’t see the charger in the app.. although it did allow me to configure the charger to only charge our car via inputting the VIN. The car is set up on Mrs Davy90’s phone and apparently she needs to contact the lease company to enable me to add the car to my phone. All a bit of a learning curve..

It’s definitely not German but it seems solid and everything just works. Liking the space, the kids like the rear legroom. I think it’s going to be ok 🙂

tenfoot

Pretty happy with mine. 2000 miles and it’s showing an average consumption of 234 wh/mile (4.27 mpkWH)

I have a few random squeaks that seem to come and go though. I think they relate to the cabin temperature.

I find the screen and use of, fairly logical and easy enough. Even the wiper function isn’t too bad. Great on long journeys too. A much quieter place to be than my last car (A class PHEV)

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice report davy90.

It is comfy, and unlike it’s predecessor (ancient e92 330i) it copes quietly with speed bumps

New cars always feel nicer than cars over about 8 years give or take, because the suspension bushings are fresh.

Just in case anyone’s not reading the other bun-fight thread but is still interested in deals – used Hyundais are now insane value for money. Ioniq Electric 38kWhs now significantly cheaper than the hybrid/diesel equivalent.  Kona 64kWhs now for £12k, which is what I paid for my Ioniq 38 two months ago.  Ioniq 5s for £21k two years old.

pictonroad

tested a Model Y performance today and  a new model 3 standard range.

‘Performance’ bit aside  I was very impressed with the Y, felt well put together, I was expecting it to be worse. (I can only lease a standard Y)

The 2024 Model 3 is great, the model 3 was always a good car, just needed tweaking and that’s what they’ve done. Absolutely loved the air conditioned seats. Kids screen in the back could be a godsend/cause of endless arguments. 😂

Got an ID4, Ioniq 5 and GT6 to test in the next few weeks.

Be interesting to see how they all compare after being so immersed in tesla’s way of doing things.

davy90
    Free Member

The 330i is in pretty good shape for its age, it just drags bits of MSport bodywork at the front on the speed humps. its off to pastures new on Weds. I’ll miss it.

The new model 3 we tested has a nicer interior than the Y, just the steering wheel design and ambient light strip give it a bit more. It just isn’t quite big enough for our current family needs. Having spent more time prodding it, our standard RWD Y is actually pretty well screwed together and I still can’t quite get my head around just plugging it in on the driveway….

My other vehicle which is next to go, is a 33 year old Talbot campervan which can be fixed with a hammer… how the intricate plastic detail of the latest vehicles last will be interesting to see – UV damage and wear and tear on the delicate, motorised electrical socket cover on the Y?

Being taken to Henley tomorrow by a friend in her recently aquired Ioniq 5, be interesting to compare..

Its been an expensive day so far, trying to summon the courage to shell out even more for the Tesla roof bars before next week’s hols….

RichPenny
    Free Member

“Got an ID4, Ioniq 5 and GT6 to test in the next few weeks.”

Genesis  G80? Comes up on our scheme at a pretty decent price now,, must be a close out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/consumer-news/363201/cheap-ev-charging-comes-public-chargepoints-new-plunge-pricing-app

I’ve looked in their app and can’t find anything, don’t know if it’s a separate app

molgrips
    Free Member

how the intricate plastic detail of the latest vehicles last will be interesting to see

It’s the same plastics that have been in use for decades on cars, surely?

prettygreenparrot

how the intricate plastic detail of the latest vehicles last will be interesting to see – UV damage and wear and tear on the delicate, motorised electrical socket cover on the Y

the socket cover is much the same as on other Teslas. Look at an old Model S and as @molgrips suggests the plastics fare as well as those on any other car.

harking back, not sure that I’ve had a car with a metal filler flap since the 90s? Admittedly, none of those closed themselves like the Tesla charging flap does.

prettygreenparrot

The car is set up on Mrs Davy90’s phone and apparently she needs to contact the lease company to enable me to add the car to my phone

that sounds likely. We shared our Teslas originally by emailing Tesla. Now there’s a spot in the app under ‘security & drivers’ -> ‘manage drivers’ -> ‘add driver’. This is only in the “Owner’s” app, added drivers don’t get this option.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve looked in their app and can’t find anything, don’t know if it’s a separate app

They had a plunge pricing event earlier this year, I just got a notification on my phone via the electroverse app saying something like discounted charging at ionity chargers from 10pm 12am tonight.

Flaperon

Anyone here got a 2018-2020 Model S Long Range? What was a £100,000 is now sub £30k and may do to replace my Model 3 when it goes back to the big Tesla dealership in the sky. I don’t want a new Tesla out of principle, but a big floaty electric barge is quite tempting.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just got a notification on my phone via the electroverse app saying something like discounted charging at ionity chargers from 10pm 12am tonight.

I checked I had notifications on for Electroverse but I haven’t had any.  I can’t see how plunge pricing is going to be very helpful if it’s at random off peak times – it’s not likely to be when you need a charge – unless you are running an EV without home charging.

Anyone here got a 2018-2020 Model S Long Range?

My colleague has an older one, he paid something like £40k and in 6 months lost £20k…  ouch. It has lost a bit of its range apparently but it’s an older car.

prettygreenparrot

Anyone here got a 2018-2020 Model S Long Range?

I had one. Great to drive. As you say, floaty barge.

super simple on the inside. No door bins. I liked this.

unless it has the upgraded infotainment module you’ll likely be frustrated. The original module was really sluggish by 2020. The module on my SO’s Model 3 was so much slicker to use.

check also for yellowing of the main screen surround. The adhesives discolored over time.

quite low to get in and out of, though not compared to a Model 3.

mert
    Free Member

My other vehicle which is next to go, is a 33 year old Talbot campervan which can be fixed with a hammer… how the intricate plastic detail of the latest vehicles last will be interesting to see – UV damage and wear and tear on the delicate, motorised electrical socket cover on the Y?

To be fair, the early Teslas had horrific plastics, sharp edges, pinch hazards, horrifically bad clipping points, thin bits, the dye in some of them faded in patches very quickly or took stains instantly.

They’re an absolute shed load better now.

Flaperon

Yeah, I had an Ioniq 5 as a hire car today and it was awful. It had 5,000 miles on the clock and everything rattled and clunked.

Using the built in sat nav was akin to programming the timer on a nineties video recorder, and the charger database was spectacularly out of date. I would blame Hyundai for this, but my iPhone / Google Maps was no better.

The cruise control was agricultural, the lane assist was awful, the brakes grabby, the economy mediocre, and the ride clunky.

I like to complain about my Model 3, but even at three years old it’s more than twice the car that the Ioniq 5 is.

Oh, since I suppose I should be balanced, some pros: I like the pixel styling. And the V2L capability. But that’s it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Huh, my older Ioniq is none of those things. The satnav is a bit weird until you figure it out. Either they have forgotten how to do stuff in 3 years, fired everyone who knew what they were doing, or it’s a matter of preference.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Quote “I could get Michelin e.Primacy which have good RR and are quiet, but they are allegedly a bit less comfortable.”

When I replaced the original equipment Michelin energy tyres I looked at e.primacy for my ionic and they were eye wateringly expensive compared with primacy 4 which I went with. The e tyres have a shallow tread depth to reduce rolling resistance and from memory were only B rated for grip and wet weather.

the primacy 4 were a big improvement, but still lack grip pulling away from junctions in the wet and are a bit scary on slightly icy roads.

I replaced the rears with cross climate 2 and have noticed no reduction in range or increase in noise and (maybe not a real effect) better feel on the road. The fronts will be replaced with the same.

I don’t think it helps that the ionic has terrible / non existent traction control meaning the fronts spin at the slightest hurry out of a damp junction. That’s the only real downside from ev – zero feel for when this is happening

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think it helps that the ionic has terrible / non existent traction control

Ioniq Electric or 5/6?  Both my Ioniq Electrics have been the opposite – the pick up from stationary is really slow and there’s never a hint of spin. In fact, it couldn’t pull the skin off rice pudding until about 15mph.  I wondered if this is simply down to the current out of (and into) the battery being so limited, or that I had crap tyres and the TC was really good.  The lack of ability to shift out of a junction is a bit of an issue at times – that’s why I don’t use eco mode as it’s even worse then.

The e tyres have a shallow tread depth to reduce rolling resistance and from memory were only B rated for grip and wet weather.

The ones I am looking at in my size are A/A rated and not significantly more expensive than the other premium tyres I’m looking at.

DrP

EARLY Teslas had horrific plastics, sharp edges, pinch hazards

Erm..you’ve seen the Cybertruck chop off peoples appendages, right??!!

DrP

matthewlhome
    Free Member

@molgrips  standard ioniq electric.  I think that’s part of the issue- nothing happens so wanting to hurry out of a junction I end up needing to stomp the pedal so end up pulling out just as slowly as the tyres spin 😆

on the muddy narrow ungritted roads around me in winter it can be a bit spinny on the front hence moving to all seasons.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have not had any spin at all in any conditions!  Even on these crappy budget tyres on there now.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

😁 Shows how different environments can impact it.  My local roads are mostly coated with a layer of mud, and after a few warm summers are a touch glassy (other than potholes)

Tom-B
    Free Member

We’re collecting an eNiro on Wednesday. Just under 4 years old, I’m not really into cars, but it looks fairly nice. Been bangernomicsing for a while now, so looking forward to something slightly nicer.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,441 through 6,480 (of 6,677 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.