Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)
  • The demonised underclass
  • curvature
    Free Member

Being controversial why not set a minimum wage before you could claim for benefits! That might get some lazy people into work and maybe think twice before breeding like a plague of rats!

anagallis_arvensis

That might get some lazy people into work and maybe think twice before breeding like a plague of rats!

This thread just gets better and better!

duckman

Curvature = cracking advert for contraception.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

if you want to see inside the minds of tories , some of the comments on this thread are priceless- fortunately i’m lucky not to be afflicted with such bitter and selfish thoughts…..

CHB

I would support child benefit being capped at two kids (not applied retrospectively) but ONLY if more funding went to schools to support directly the development, education and nutrition of kids who need the extra help.

mikey74
    Free Member

Development, education and nutrition are things that schools should provide anyway, to all children, regardless of background. However, I agree they should have a major role to play in the lives of those less fortunate.

bencooper
    Free Member

I would support child benefit being capped at two kids

This just makes kids suffer because their parents didn’t use contraception. It isn’t the child’s fault that they were born into a larger family.

konabunny
    Free Member

If you want to cut birth rates effectively, improve the education and employment prospects of 16-30 year old women. Across practically all societies and time periods, the better women are educated and integrated into the labour force, the fewer children they have.

In any case, this whole conversation is a distraction. Teenage pregnancies have been dropping for decades, as have birth rates across the population as a whole. The UK has an aging population and needs immigration to keep the economically productive part of the population “pyramid” stocked.

The idea that a statistically significant part of the UK’s political or economic situation is to do with teenage mothers is just cobblers. It’s not even a Top 20 problem. You can add up the total “cost” of every teenage mother in the UK and it wouldn’t even come close to a single big ticket capitalist ballsup like the mismanagement of the privatisation of the Royal Mail.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The idea that a statistically significant part of the UK’s political or economic situation is to do with teenage mothers is just cobblers. It’s not even a Top 20 problem. You can add up the total “cost” of every teenage mother in the UK and it wouldn’t even come close to a single big ticket capitalist ballsup like the mismanagement of the privatisation of the Royal Mail.

Yes but at least admit that it’s “shocking”.

Give some credit to Daily Mail readers who for years have been frothing with anger and indignation over the issue.

chestrockwell

wouldn’t even come close to a single big ticket capitalist ballsup like the mismanagement of the privatisation of the Royal Mail.

Sssshhhhh, no, we can’t talk about stuff like that as people don’t like it. The Tories got back in you know.

neilthewheel

Oldmanmtb +1

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

As long as insert “scumbag of choice” is getting shown the boot I’m alright 8)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

‘Human’ beings are getting thin on the ground on here Eh 😐

yunki
    Free Member

oldmanmtb +1

I hope the tories and their fanboys choke on their own bile

rudebwoy
    Free Member

its interesting to see the unabashed boldness of the right , after they have won a majority ( in a rigged system ) they feel they can let rip their prejudices and petty mindedness , a good mental health system would be needed to help these people ……

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So rudebwoy what has been announced in the last few days to cause you so much angst?

RMail – so company can now access capital to invest better and we get a 4% yield to boot. And that’s a disaster!?! Sounds like it’s a relief that the nasty lot have the keys rather than the oppo in that case.

yunki
    Free Member

it’s more noticeable on here and out and about rather than amongst the toffs and pillocks in charge..

how many cowardly wallies are suddenly spouting spiteful nonsense now they feel they’ve got a handful of chums to back their ideologies up..

makes my skin crawl…tis some fruity fruity behaviour 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What kind of spiteful nonsense? There certainly seems a lot of bile being raged since last weeks result – but as from which side, well…..

yunki
    Free Member

shut it Voldemort!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who said that? Which thread was it on?

yunki
    Free Member

are you really asking me to sit here and look for examples of nasty right wing sentiment to quote..!?

hmmmmmm… that would be a fascinating way to spend my Sunday afternoon 😆

you’re a nipple mate

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

are you really asking me to sit here and look for examples of nasty right wing sentiment to quote..!?

Can’t be that hard surely?

hmmmmmm… that would be a fascinating way to spend my Sunday afternoon

I would prefer to go for a ride, true! We’ve had enough politics for a while

you’re a nipple mate

Cheers, that’s very nice.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“are you really asking me to sit here and look for examples of nasty right wing sentiment to quote..!?”

Can’t be that hard surely?

If you agree that it’s not that hard why are you asking someone to do it for you ?

If you really need a helping hand try “breeding like a plague of rats” on this very page.

Or are you now going to deny that it’s a nasty right wing sentiment ?

deviant
    Free Member

its interesting to see the unabashed boldness of the right , after they have won a majority ( in a rigged system ) they feel they can let rip their prejudices and petty mindedness , a good mental health system would be needed to help these people ……

The views being expressed recently are no different than they were 12 months ago. What has changed is that prior to the election some STW posters were able to pass off the opinions being expressed as the ramblings of a demented few, after all it’s easier to deal with views you don’t like if you can pass them off as fictitious or in the minority.

The most vocal on here thought Labour would win or there’d be another coalition at the very least, suddenly having to accept that a decent chunk of the electorate don’t share your views is proving to be a problem for some on here.

If the shouty lefty types had bothered to listen over the last few years they might have seen this coming.

Here’s a couple of facts. The over 60s now outnumber those under 16….and the over 85s are the fastest growing group in society.
    Who do you think they vote for?….given that a large part of UKIPs three million votes consist of the ‘grey vote’ and Tory voters are typically dismissed as grey haired lunatics do you think the country will suddenly lurch to the left any time soon?

Idealistic views (from either end of the political spectrum) are lovely but have little place in the real world, you’d think people would realise this by now.
    Contrary to vocal popular opinion on here we’re not a young leftist electorate.

robdob
    Free Member

This years pay rise offer is 2% implemented from July ie 6mths @ the new rate before negotiations start again!
    Any new starts in the company start on different contracts which include less holidays and several thousands of £££s less than the test of us!!!!!

So you’re getting a pay rise which is pretty decent despite other people starting in similar jobs earning less? My heart bleeds…..

robdob
    Free Member

just would like to point out to the various Union bashers on this thread that virtually all your employment rights have come about due to unions fighting for them, it also amazes me that people have viewed union activity and attitudes historically as negative and anti business when I fact they were protecting their members interests (pay conditions etc)

I would agree that the unions did great work in their early years and were the force that made working in the UK a great deal better for many people. However their antics since the 70’s have distanced themselves from a lot of people.
    A recent example is this – I worked in retail when the crash came in 2008 and managed to keep my job but didn’t get any cost of living increases for 2 years. At the end of that period I moved to be a civil servant. When I got there I was astonished to find the union there was demanding a 4% pay rise (2010 ish) and thought that this was perfectly reasonable. The people I met who were in the union and active in promoting it clearly had no idea about the wider world and just thought they were entitled to whatever they asked for. IIRC we got about 2% (might have been less) and I was astonished we got that, I was chuffed, but the whining unionists just wouldn’t shut up about it. When I told them what it was like outside their own little bubble they just turned into brick walls, nothing you said to them made any difference. And that’s the attitude you get with a lot of union people, they are so insistent they push their own agenda, which is fine, but they never listen to reason or want to debate anything properly.

The sad thing is that I was considering joining the union before I got there but there is no way I would do now. I was very happy to walk past them as they striked in that public sector strike a while back.

footflaps

This just makes kids suffer because their parents didn’t use contraception. It isn’t the child’s fault that they were born into a larger family.

I think the key thing is that a lot of people (mainly Tories) think that the poor should suffer. The child is born poor and as such should be made suffer so as to encourage him/her to try and do better. An odd mindset, but never the less very prevelant.

deviant
    Free Member

Ditto for the unions where I work, they now have a political agenda that seems to come above all else.

One of the two main unions where I work negotiated an enhanced rate for staff who were working over Christmas, before it could be put to members for a vote (staff were gagging for some extra Christmas money!) the rival union scuppered the deal because they hadn’t been part of the negotiations….WTF?!?!….it didn’t seem to occur to them that staff were for once getting a good deal, instead it became about undermining the rival Union.

How management must have laughed, who needs enemies with ‘friends’ like that eh?!

Unions ruined things for themselves with flying pickets, wildcat strikes, trying to take down a democratically elected government etc etc….when the private sector is stale hearing the unions banging on about ‘unfair’ pay rises just makes them sound out of touch and distasteful….really once workers rights became established in law the role of the unions had somewhat diminished, nowadays at my place the only people who seem to need them are ones constantly on the receiving end of complaints and who want union representation like its some kind of shield of invincibility for crap employees.

binners

What’s really scary about reading some of the nasty, bike-filled rants from the right-wing hard-of-thinking on here, is that their hateful opinions probably most closely resemble the attitudes of our present lords and masters. Especially the truly loathsome, arrogant and odious little turd that is IDS

chestrockwell

My union does a superb job of defending my working conditions especially with the little things that are not headline grabbers. Very few actually appreciate this though.

I was very happy to walk past them as they striked in that public sector strike a while back.

Well done you, hope you feel proud of yourself.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Got to agree with most of what deviant says. In the real world away from internet forums and intellectual circles, many of your average Joe’s views are truly unpleasant and regressive to say the least. Politicians in conjunction with the media feed and take full advantage of the in-fighting they orchestrate, unfortunately they know theres a never ending supply of small minded selfish plebs, that will help facilitate their agenda.

Sancho
    Free Member

3 generations that have never worked, isnt news to me, my ex came from such a family and there were a few in the street who were all the same.

its not typical but it happens and there is a very easy lifestyle going on between the mums who are hanging out with their mums and their kids.
    its a community that keeps itself to itself, but its a shame that benefits can afford such a comfortable lifestyle.

my ex was determined to break out of it.

Northwind

Sancho – Member

my ex was determined to break out of it.

And did she? Because you know, if she did that’d mean her generation doesn’t qualify so her parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents and all of their siblings etc would have had to have never worked, going back probably as far as ww2 and the beverige report. Which frankly would be a greater achievement than getting a job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Best tell the researchers the details as they failed to find any and luckily you found a lot and all in one street.

binners

It’s worth noting that the same papers, and it’s readers, who so despair at teenage mums, also work themselves into a self-righteous frenzy of right-wing indignation at the idea of kids being given proper sex education. Without seeing the inherent contradictions involved in this.

They’re a bright bunch!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

To all of you who think the current “leadership” and Blair and Thatcher ever had or have your interests at heart – enjoy the following –
    Working until your 70 something
    Having **** all pensions state or other wise
    Paying for healthcare (opticians dentists NHS is next)
    Watching your kids work for mimimum wage on a zero hours contract
    Watching your kids pay crazy rents to the “leaders”
    Watching the businesses you work for not paying their corporation tax
    Watch your indirect taxation rise every year for the rest of your life
    Crack on people – one day the light will dawn (probably when you are wondering how to pay for a new knee at 72 years old so you can get back to work)

The system is designed to profit the rich regardless of the impact on the poor and frankly if you think you are rich as you earn £50k a year think again you are actually piss poor. The unions for a little while got some control of the well being of its members then Thatcher got it back and the rest they say is New Labour history.

deviant
    Free Member

The alternative of paying more tax, paying more tax again on my parents semi in the South East when they die, throwing money at welfare because it’s somehow ‘evil’ or cruel to expect people to work is equally as unappealing to me.

Part of the reason we’re in this mess is because we’re living too long and not having enough children. We’ve become an upside down pyramid and western financial models only work as pyramid schemes if there is a larger layer joining at the bottom each generation….that isn’t happening so the current model becomes unsustainable.

Thankfully I’ll be long dead when the sh@t truly hits the fan.

Junkyard
    Free Member

throwing money at welfare because it’s somehow ‘evil’ or cruel to expect people to work is equally as unappealing to me.

No one has said this but no govt has made a commitment to rid of us of the scourge of unemployment

Blaming/demonising the victims of this economic policy is pointless as it is politicians/all of us who have decided unemployment is a price worth paying

binners

You’re a proper little ray of sunshine today, aren’t you deviant? 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Well done you, hope you feel proud of yourself.

Yes I was proud to go to work and do what was expected of me. I knew I had a good job and pay increases in line with every one else in the country, plus a better pension than most too. I didn’t ask for a strike for not being paid to cover their jobs for the day either. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘The demonised underclass’ is closed to new replies.