• This topic has 404 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 405 total)
  • The Cobbled Classics thread – spoilers!
  • vlad_the_invader

So, with several big hitters out with broken collarbones (or worse), what is the likely impact on the Giro?

crazy-legs

what is the likely impact on the Giro?

Pogacar to win all three Grand Tours this year. 😉

slowoldman

Bernal to win TdF?

nbt

Pogacar to win all three Grand Tours this year. 😉

Pogacar to win the Giro at a cruise, win the TDF closely from Bernal with Wout Van Aert in third, then get battered by all the Big Hitters* coming back to fitness in the Vuelta

*as in Roglic, Vingegaard et al,. not WCA and the STW Big Hitters

nickc

Velo have done a dive into the power numbers on Paris- Roubaix to see what it takes to win. Tailwind notwithstanding, some of the outputs are just astonishing.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-training/power-analysis-mathieu-van-der-poel-paris-roubaix/

TiRed

Two hours at 4-5W/kg. Something for Zwifters to aim at 😉 . The first 100km were insanely fast and the power output shows why. There are no cobbles in the first 100km, but Alpecin Deceuninck wanted to drill the peloton and beat them into submission. They succeeded.

For reference, Bike Calculator predicts a tailwind of 19 kph, to get 98km at 306W in 1:53:38 riding on the drops. Probably about right.

crazy-legs

Not 100% related to the remaining Classics (Amstel Gold this weekend) but here’s an update on the riders who crashed last week. It does mention that Roglic will probably still try at ride LBL the following weekend, he’s about the best recovered of everyone.

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/racing/news/injury-update-jay-vine-walking-vingegaard-and-evenepoel-operated-upon

Preview of Amstel:

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/amstel-gold-race-preview

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/amstel-gold-race-preview-can-anyone-get-the-better-of-mathieu-van-der-poel

crossed

Great finish there in the women’s Amstel Gold!

sandboy

Premature celebration!!
    I don’t know how you would get your head around doing that??

Klunk
    Free Member

I don’t know how you would get your head around doing that??

and how **** dumb you look when you get it wrong!

DrJ

Definitely going to practice my bike throw technique for the big sprint to the pizza shop in the next village. That will be in Wiebes nightmares for ever!

Klunk
    Free Member

blimey less than 50k to go and still a “proper” peloton  !

thenorthwind

Premature celebration!!

I don’t know how you would get your head around doing that?

I’ll never understand why they don’t just wait 10 yards to make sure 🤷

DrJ

I’ll never understand why they don’t just wait 10 yards to make sure 🤷

I suspect she will next time. Not so sure about the time after that !

Klunk
    Free Member

MvdP finally ran out of team mates

Klunk
    Free Member

well played Tom.

sandboy

He gave the impression of confidence in his pre race interview but I wasn’t really expecting Tom to win. He’s proving to be a bit of a one day contender!

stevious

Fun stat: this is the first race in ~8 years without MvdP on the podium*.

Really cool to see pidcock in one-day mode. He’s a really exciting racer to watch and it’s been a shame that his talents been hidden for a while.

*haven’t fact checked this. Feels about right

Klunk
    Free Member

In truth he (MvdP) didn’t look that up for it today, he closed a couple of gaps mid race then gave a kind of virtual shrug of I’m not dragging anyone to the front so it’s up to you. Perhaps he’s human after all, with the only road racing being just about 3 full on monuments only telling it’s toll.

crazy-legs

Premature celebration!!

I don’t know how you would get your head around doing that?

Glad that Vos got it though! 💥

Klunk
    Free Member

slowoldman

Flèche Wallonne tomorrow. Woohoo.

I mean Mur de Huy.

Klunk
    Free Member

going to be odd with no Alaphillipe/MvdP/WvA/Pogacar/Remco/Roglic though makes it a great opportunity for someone else such as Thomas Pidcock

crazy-legs

I’m out in Spain at the moment (sorry… 😉 ) so heading off for a ride now and hopefully be back in time to watch Fleche Wallone on one of the many cycling cafes around here.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/la-fleche-wallonne-preview

stevious

Fleche is not the most beloved of the classics but I think of it a bit like a sprint stage in a grand tour. Nice to have a bit of not-much-happening and an exciting finish as a bit of a palette cleanser after all the cobbled chaos. Also nice for some of the less superhuman riders to get a chance today.

Klunk
    Free Member

some scary descending @ the tour of the alps in the cold and rain! Ganna Solo attack and it’s not looking good for G

Klunk
    Free Member

absolute carnage @ Fleche !

Luke Rowe “Bulldog chewing a wasp” re Tom Pidcock 😀

scaredypants

absolute carnage @ Fleche !

Grim

scaredypants

Blimey, I hope Luke Rowe and Steve Williams are good mates !

stevious

It’s a uno-x TTT with a few hangers on from other teams.

Klunk
    Free Member

proper classic that!

Klunk
    Free Member

slowoldman

it’s not looking good for G

A decent training block though.

slowoldman

Yes it was pretty chilly in Belgium.

crazy-legs

The final Spring Classic this weekend, Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/liege-bastogne-liege-route-riders-and-all-you-need-to-know

Klunk
    Free Member

cracking descent @ tour of the alps

Klunk
    Free Member

WTAF frigging’ell that was a nasty bit of road! glad to be wearing a lid!

munrobiker
    Free Member

An intensely satisfying outcome in the Women’s race. It’s really good to see Niewiadoma win a road race outright, and how pleased the other racers were for her.

https://escapecollective.com/at-fleche-wallonne-kasia-niewiadoma-finally-put-it-all-together/

There seemed to be a lot more big hitters left at the end of the women’s race than in the men’s.

IdleJon

It’s a uno-x TTT with a few hangers on from other teams.

I’m not sure about. I watched all of the Eurosport coverage, so maybe it was before that coverage started, but it really wasn’t an Uno X TTT, more like a masterclass in how to do sweet FA with your whole team. They didn’t pull, they barely attacked, and only managed to get two riders in the top 20, the first one being 6th. That’s despite the commentary team telling us how well prepared they all were for the conditions. 😀

It was a good race though – I love Fleche Wallone!

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 405 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.