Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The Chimp Paradox
  • Muke
    Free Member

A best selling mind management book by Prof Steve Peters. Anyone read it ?

Worth a read for a normal bloke with occasional anxiety attacks or just for the pro sportsperson ?

jimmy

I’m about 2/3 the way through. It has taken me years (really) to read it and I’m not sure why – there’s a lot of the same words over and over but worth the read? Absolutely.

scotroutes

I’m guessing that “the” and “and” are amongst them?

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I quite like books of that type… And really couldn’t get into or enjoy chimp.

Tracey

Yes I have, well worth it. I read the book when he did a lecture at Katie and Abigales school. He is a very interesting guy. Passed it round at work and everyone who read it said they had benifited from it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Passed it round and everyone benefitted you say…

Are you Musical Youth?

Junkyard
    Free Member

“I like Steve. But all that stuff about ‘taming your inner chimp [of negative thought]’ is hilarious.”

Cav

[not a dig as we are all different] and it may well help for certain types _ victoria Pendleton for example [ again not meaning to sound sexist] benefitted massively but it is really not for me as I would react like Cav. [ not a dig]

peterfile
    Free Member

I tried to read it, got half way through and gave up. No idea why, I normally get through stuff really quickly (with the notable exception of The Magic Mountain, which took me 10 years)

julzm
    Free Member

I saw a talk from a similar guy last week – Jamil qureshi. Really interesting stuff about internal dialogue, always telling yourself you can do something, etc, apparently the brain doesn’t understand “not”.

Tried some of it on my Sunday cycle. It worked for me…..did a tricky entrance to a black section I’ve never done before and nailed it first time. Every other time I’ve looked at it…thought “nah, can’t do that”. This thought “yep, I can do that” and turns out I was right.

40mpg

Is there an opposite to this? My brain always tells me I can do stuff. Sometimes I can’t – with consequences 😳

xcracer1
    Free Member

Its ok, worth a read.

If you have kindle or ibooks, cant remember which, download a book called ‘letting go’ – good book worth a read as well.

nickdavies

Read it and find out if it works for you – don’t think everyone will benefit from it in the same way.
    I tried, some of the stuff made sense but i don’t think I had an epiphany. I’m still nuts!

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

The author gets paid big bucks to work with lots of sporting pros, team Sky included. Definitely worth a read and the brain exercises are derived from hard fact but it really depends on the individual s desire for change.

Spin
    Free Member

Pseudo-scientific BS.

If the techniques work for anyone it’s because it makes them take the time to think about their own thought processes not because of the halfbaked neuroscience he says is behind them.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ7JXkv6_o[/video]

peterfile
    Free Member

If the techniques work for anyone it’s because it makes them take the time to think about their own thought processes

I thought that’s exactly what the intention was? I bit like CBT?

Agree though, the book was a bit of a nonsense.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Pseudo-scientific BS.If the techniques work for anyone it’s because it makes them take the time to think about their own thought processes not because of the halfbaked neuroscience he says is behind them.

Quite an emotional response there. Maybe you should have read the book a bit s l o w e r 😉

MrNice
    Free Member

Quite an emotional response there. Maybe you should have read the book a bit s l o w e r

it’s just his chimp feeling threatened

Squidlord
    Free Member

Worth a read for a normal bloke with occasional anxiety attacks

Yes!

“the” and “and”

That gave me the horn…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In the same, tried to read three times but gave up camp. Ditto, like sports physiology books generally and up to a point (Bob Rotella)

I doubt that I will try again….

huggis
    Free Member

I got about 2\3rds of the way through and gave up when the metaphors to planets and moons got a bit too much! Maybe i should have read an astronomy book first

MSP

I was really interested to read it, having all the usual fears neurosis and mental blocks holding me back, but found it to be over simplified patronising nonsense.

At the end of the day it is just another “self help” book with a catchy title, selling the american style dream that we should all be something more than we are, and that there is a special secret to unlocking our full fantastical potential.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

It’s a neuro linguistic programming technique.

I’ve also only read about 1/3rd of it.

I’d sum it up “whether you think you can or think you can’t you are probably right”

It’s about telling your inner doubting voice that you can and that the consequences of getting it wrong are tolerable/acceptable and that you understand your doubting self has valid concerns but that OK you’ve considered that and think the risk is worth taking.

if you need the science to back up the arguement read the book if you get the concept above, go find “Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice” by Matthew Syed. I found that book much more interesting.

Spin
    Free Member

Maybe you should have read the book a bit s l o w e r

I haven’t actually read the book. What do you take me for?

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’ve started it but it takes a bit of getting though and I resent being told that ‘it’s science and it’s too complicated for you so I’ve dumbed it down’.

My 5 year old asked what I was reading so I gave him a bit of a summary. Now whenever he’s being naughty and gets told off he says “it’s not me – it’s my inner chimp”. Cheeky scamp.

Solo
    Free Member

The Chimp Paradox

I thought this thread was going to be about the Mods…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Spin – Member Maybe you should have read the book a bit s l o w e rI haven’t actually read the book. What do you take me for?

Erm someone who judges a book by its cover maybe? 😆

KungFuPanda
    Free Member

It’s a neuro linguistic programming technique.

I’ve also only read about 1/3rd of it.

I’d sum it up “whether you think you can or think you can’t you are probably right”

It’s about telling your inner doubting voice that you can and that the consequences of getting it wrong are tolerable/acceptable and that you understand your doubting self has valid concerns but that OK you’ve considered that and think the risk is worth taking.

if you need the science to back up the arguement read the book if you get the concept above, go find “Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice” by Matthew Syed. I found that book much more interesting.

You must have been reading a different book because your summary of what its about is so far off the mark its hilarious.

Mind you, its not surprising I suppose, you admit to only reading a third of it. I’m surprised you would be able to make an adequate summary of any book at that point.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The Chimp Paradox

Sounds like the next Big Bang Theory title…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The Chimp Paradox’ is closed to new replies.