Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)
  • The Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker and other such 80's wonders
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

It is a large tin, but with the modern invention of freezing I could preserve a sliced loaf ready for toasty days.

I truly admire your dedication.

cranberry
    Free Member

I was all but ready to click and buy the Waring that Biscuit Powered showed above, but I am not in the UK and the only reasonably sized bread I can get my hands on that would be suitable for a toastie maker is M&S stuff – can someone suggest a toastie maker that I can get sent to Holland that doesn’t need particularly large slices of bread ( respect to tootallpaul, but I don’t think that I can go as far as baking and freezing my own ) ?

Cougar
    mogrim

Breville. It’s a sandwich maker, and a deluxe one. It ought to say Breville on the top.

mogrim

… although reading the reviews, this flat plate sandwich maker is apparently superior:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VST025-Sandwich-Press-Stainless/dp/B0048EJQBS/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

But does a press properly seal the sandwich filling in?

And it’s a genuine question: I’ve got a 10€ cheapy sandwich maker that we use a lot, but it’s got non-removable plates which are impossible to clean, and it’s getting pretty grim… a replacement is needed!

NJA

Tinned spaghetti Bolognese (Heinz) and cheddar cheese for main course. Banana and dark chocolate for pudding. If you are careful you can do both at the same time side by side.

lemonysam
    Free Member

But does a press properly seal the sandwich filling in?

Nope, what that makes is a grilled sandwich – a fine thing no doubt but not a toasty. Really the two complement one another:
    Grilled fishfinger sandwich > fishfinger toasty
    grilled cheese sandwich < Cheese toasty

And it’s a genuine question: I’ve got a 10€ cheapy sandwich maker that we use a lot, but it’s got non-removable plates which are impossible to clean, and it’s getting pretty grim… a replacement is needed!

Sounds like it’s just getting seasoned nicely. Is anyone prepared to admit to occasionally eating the congealed cheese that pools up round the back?

mogrim

Nope, what that makes is a grilled sandwich – a fine thing no doubt but not a toasty.

Yeah, but at the same time being able to put traditional Spanish bread in there could be a bit of a winner.

And no, I don’t eat the congealed cheese 😯

duffle
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member
    I’ve formed a plan…. i’ll report back soon…

AND……. 😐
    Could someone check on joshvegas I think we may have had the first forum faux pas involving a toastie 😥

binners

I hope theres not been a potentially lethal volcanic beans incident

I’m quite concerned about him now

Mmmmmmmmmmm…… congealed cheese

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i have one of these bastards

you bang it on the gas hob (or in a fire, bbq, camping stove…) makes delicious deep toasties, pizza ones are my faves but ive used left over curries or chilli in them, simple cheese & onion, bacon egg and beans ones… only thing is it creates a lot of waste with square bread – oven bottom muffins work well.

Stoner
    Free Member

just got back home from a day on a Rugby refereeing course.

Lunge at the bread bin and DAMMIT there’s no sliced white!
    Need to go back out to the shops and restock. Might pick up a tin of hotdogs while im there…

binners

That looks awesomz!

You use oven bottom muffins? So this would support my theory about Warburtons Thickest being the right tool for the job? Thinly sliced bread is rubbish for anything unhealthy. White and stodgy is the way forward 😀

binners

Stoner. Rather than the tin of hot dogs, I’d advise…..

The Aldi Frankfurter!! A thing of beauty!!

lemonysam
    Free Member

White and stodgy is the way forward

That completely removes the chances of the bread being so comprehensively soaked in fat that it’s effectively been deep fried and become sufficiently crisp that it shatters and spreads melted cheese over your chin, chest and lap.

I love the danger.

binners

It doesn’t work like that though. I know it should do, but the rules of physics just don’t apply to Warburtons bread. It was actually devised to be the most absorbent substance on the planet for fat*, which then goes crisp.

* which is why its so damn fine for chip butties too

Tracey

We fight over the cheese dregs. Might have to get one of those single ones when we get the camper. Where do you get them from

lemonysam
    Free Member
    Tracey

Thanks. If you are ever round our way let me know and will sort you a proper toastie out but the cheese dregs will be mine

cranberry
    Free Member

Found someone on ebay who would post a Breville to Holland.

We are now T-Day minus 7 and counting.

MrOvershoot

binners – Member

It doesn’t work like that though. I know it should do, but the rules of physics just don’t apply to Warburtons bread. It was actually devised to be the most absorbent substance on the planet for fat*, which then goes crisp.

* which is why its so damn fine for chip butties too
    The sad thing is Warbies bread is mostly made using Canadian wheat 🙁

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I would’ve thought that thick warburtons stuff is a bit too thick for the innards to get properly melted?

Ive heard that stale warburtons makes ideal lagging for hot water pipes/boilers etc, just damp it down a bit and slap it on, the mice wont eat it they`ve got more sense.

I knew a lad who worked at Warbies in Shaw near Oldham, at lunchtime he would buy a deformed uncut loaf for 10p, scoop out the middle and take it across the road to the chippy, they would fill it with chips and gravy, the bizarre thing was he was then and still is a racing snake.

wallop

FFS who bought all the Brevilles off of Amazon? 😡

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sorry sorry sorry.

Realisedctoastie maker is in the lock up.

Will crack it out tomorrow and try somethings out

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I used to love fish finger and tartar sauce toasties.

Allow three per toastie and allow the tartar sauce to cool for about three days prior to eating or loose the roof of your mouth.

binners

My toastie maker has just been delivered, apparently.

I am inordinately excited!! 😀

lemonysam
    Free Member

I am inordinately excited!!

I trust there’s a full toasty meal planned for tonight?

A light Starter – ham and pickle, Fish(finger) course, the main sausage and beans, cheese course – 4 cheeses and chutney in one toasty and pudding – Bread and butter pudding toasty.

Stoner
    Free Member

guys, guys!

Have just got in from the pub, and Mrs Stoner has put out leftover roast lamb….

It is, as I type, sizzling behind me together with mint jelly in a toasted sandwich. I can barely type what with the drool…

binners

Guess what we’re having for breakfast? 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Spinach and all bran smoothie? Amirite?

binners

Nutella toastie for the girls. I’m going to attempt the egg. We have specifically aquired crap white bread for this. 🙂

Cougar

I don’t believe you. What bread did you have beforehand?

binners

I normally do the half way house of Hovis Best of Both. But that’s not going to cut it for toastie making duties.

Bunnyhop

It’s been toasty lunch heaven this week.
    Next week I’m going for the healthy (had too much cheese this week) fish finger option, with lashings of tom sauce/ketchup.

maccruiskeen

Stop the (sandwich) press!!!

Sorry, but toasties are so last week – its all about the CNC Face-recognition pancake printer now

Now you can eat your own face without the inconvenience of having to acquire amphetamines

lemonysam
    Free Member

That appears to be a sandwich press rather than a toasty maker.

Cougar

That’s not a toastie maker, it’s a sandwich press. Do keep up.

Cougar

Jinx.

binners

Thats not a toastie maker, you imbecile! And from John Lewis too. Thats trying WAAAAY too hard! Thats for roasted peppers, goats cheese and spinach pannini’s, and other poncey shite, you big fanny!

Stop trying to convince everyone you live in Chorlton, you Stretford scumbag! 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘The Breville Toasted Sandwich Maker and other such 80's wonders’ is closed to new replies.