Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • The best trail in the UK
  • GavinB

Walna Scar, Parkamoor (preferably in the same day) would be first, followed by a trail centre of Kirroughtree Black route. It flows soooo well, and no matter how many times you ride it, it still has the ability to kick you in the butt, or cement a huge grin on your face.

Not too many mentions of Llandegla so far then…

😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The 'normal' Carn Ban Mor descent is ace as is the other one AJ showed me a few years ago 😉

I love Glen Tilt heading south west.

Ben Aigen singletrack descent, not tech but fast as hell on a 12 inch wide trail.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Torridon yet so I will! The descents to Annat and then the one to Achnashellach Station (Coire Lair) are grrrrreat. As is the Capel Mounth into Glen Clova.

All the above are in Scotland but there are plenty of great descents in the Lake District too.

GavinB

I've got a 'road trip' in Scotland planned for May, so will definitely be planning on doing some of the routes suggested here. I helped build a couple of the bridges from the top of the Devil's Staircase down to Kinlochlelen many, many moons ago, so can't wait to re-ride those trails.

grumm
    Free Member

It's not the most epic but possibly my favourite is the bit that ends up on Moor Lane in Grizedale, from Parkamoor towards Satterthwaite – crosses three fire roads.

I dunno there's just something about it I really like.

Kirroughtree Black is probably the best overall ride I've done though I think.

Susie
    Free Member

I'll second Mark of Zorro. I also like the last descent back to the car park, but it's not quite long enough.

The 'normal' Carn Ban Mor descent is ace as is the other one AJ showed me a few years ago

Other one? Surely not the boulder strewn zig zag path that runs parallel to the obvious route.

The only option I can think of is to drop down towards Loch Einich. Now that would be something.

gusamc
    Free Member

Luke, 2 routes
    1 – best one way/dropped off (You might get bike in bus boot) start here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=118708&y=911528&z=120&sv=118708,911528&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=850&ax=118708&ay=911528&lm=0
    follow dotted track W to white road heading south
    2 – here is the one I was referring to http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=117393&y=900193&z=120&sv=117393,900193&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=850&ax=117393&ay=900193&lm=0 E immed N beside loch/blue footprint, E + then SE on yellow road, dotted track W along coast

luked2
    Free Member

Thanks! Just had a quick look at those on the OS map – they look amazing.

jedi

but for trails, the raised wooden one in hertfordshire beats the rest for me

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Good point grum – only ever done that once in the torrential rain but loved that descent from Parkamoor Farm.

Also Cut Gate is superb. Either direction from the top but I reckon down from the VERY top all the way down to Langsett might just pip the other direction, purely because its never ending!

DavidM
    Free Member

Did someone mention Walna Scar. Was really nice at the weekend:

There is a lot to be said for the last trail before the sun sets though, dosen't matter where it actually is. Maybee I should just ride at dusk?

grumm
    Free Member

gusamc – any pics?

Walked some bits of those.

barrykellett
    Free Member

This – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebuVad8CVU (The first few minutes of heavy snow riding flows much better in the dry!)

Followed straight after by this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiql8eJXuMk

gusamc
    Free Member

sorry grum, I'm a luddite – on 35 and low quality, maybe luked will post a few

Si
    Free Member

Gatescarth path in the lakes or Smallacombe or Bowermans on Dartmoor

numbnuts
    Free Member

The last three decents on the marin trail on a dry dusty summers eve never fails to put a grin on my face

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Another one for the two descents in Torridon previously mentioned and the Devils staircase,especially good when there is a bit of ice on it. Any combination of descents from Spooky Wood to the Hub make me smile. Black Hill in the Pentlands when conditions suit, north or south sides are both good. And I've got a little bit of trail perfection near home that are always dry(ish), fast and great fun. And I can ride it at the start, in the middle or at the end of a ride.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The 'normal' Carn Ban Mor descent is ace as is the other one AJ showed me a few years ago
    Other one? Surely not the boulder strewn zig zag path that runs parallel to the obvious route.

The only option I can think of is to drop down towards Loch Einich. Now that would be something.

No it didn't head toward Loch Einich. We went to the top of Sgurr Gaoith then doubled back and headed down. I doubt I'd be able to find the trail but there was some ace rocky stuff traversing the hill, then some off piste multiple line choice stuff, some peaty loamy singletrack and then a gravelly blast at the bottom. It brought us out on the road to Achlean, I'm not sure which descent I'd prefer, the one I've just described has more variety although there aren't really many bad ways to descend 700 metres 😀

Kunstler

luked2 – that's the Reinigeadal loop that starts just north east of Tarbet (ferry port) on Harris. There's a route description of both the routes gusamc is talking about in the brown Bike Scotland Trails Guide.

Reinigeadal is a fabulous route. I did it with my SO – being a fair weather cyclist she didn't appreciate it in the way I did. Especially the 1000ft push up to final descent. I have pictures but I just looked at them and they're very disappointing. Didn't take many photos though I have some unedited video still on the tape.

I've done a few long easyish rides with Miss K this year – Glen Kinglass, Gaick, Jura etc. but I had a week in November where I rode with a mate and we upped the game a bit:

Saturday we did Kinlochleven – Glen Coe – Devil's Staircase

Monday: Glen Clova – summit of Broad Cairn – Loch Muick – Capel Mounth.

Wednesday: Five hours sauntering around the Pentlands

Friday: Glentress black (my first time around)followed by red.

Each of those rides was brilliant in a different way but if I could hurry back it would be to the Devil's Staircase… or Reinigeadal.

Though I'd like to think that I haven't yet ridden the best trail – there's always something enticing me somewhere new.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Agree on a lot of the Scottish contenders so far:

Torridon – Coire Lair to Achnashellach, Annat descent
    Glencoe/KLL – Devil's Staircase and Ciaran Path
    Carn Ban Mor
    Capel Mounth

I'd also add:

Morven/Morrone to Braemar
    Lochnagar to Glen Callater
    Kilbo Path
    Lairig Ghru from Corrour Bothy to Glen Luibeg
    Cam Bealach to Loch Lochy
    Ciaran Path variations
    Torridon – Beinn Damph descent to Torridon Hotel

There are many more I'd like to ride this year – so many plans, so little time!

Ambrose

I'll keep Mid Wales and the Beacons to myself. The Dan yr Ogof Track and the Tywi track are absolutely rubbish. Stay away.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Penmachno – a small Welsh trail (3-5hrs) managed by the local community.
    A red route but that's not the 1/2 of it.
    It's more like a footpath trail through mostly mixed woods and across open ground.

Only a car park and some tremendous decents and lung-busting middle ring climbs, more safe air than I'm capable of anywhere else that I've ridden.

Not for the unfit though as the faster you ride it, the better it flows and the more it pays you back in spades.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Battle between (I cannot decide)

Smith's Combe
    Mark of Zorro
    Marin final descents
    Bits of The Raven / Gorlech when I wasn't too scared to enjoy it

But I havn't ridden in Scotland or Yorkshire yet

devs
    Free Member

Mark of Zorro nice but over rated in comparison to some of the other contenders, as is the Marin. My top 3 are (in no particular order)

Carn Ban Mor
    Lairig Ghru to Rothiemurchus. (The traverse from the lodge to get to it though is pants)
    Golspie Black.

Honourable mentions go to Laggan Black and Cadair Idris.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Devils Staicase then Blackwater Dam down to Kinlochleven. Nasty.

Golspie. Nice.

Algore
    Free Member

For me…. on a summer's evening.
    Lecki Hill, Cheltenham.
    start at trig point, hammer along the flat whoopey bits, ignore turn for the DH run.
    Carry on along wide grassy section- re-group chat with mates.
    Then do the rocky path which eventually spits you out down Sandy Lane. Blast down to the bottom. Sorry for not knowing proper path names!

Bit of everything in there.
    Then turn round and try to clean the whole lot riding back up again!

jimster
    Free Member

The Malverns, but everyone stay away – they're crowded enough already.

Love the Hidden Valley / Snap, Crackle and Pop.

The Beast at CyB.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the cheeky descent that starts at the end of my road is a beauty.

it's got everything; fast bits, twisty bits, rocky bits, roots, drops, jumps, trees, lawnmowers, a bit of graveyard, flat corners, banked corners, off-camber corners, and loads of line choices…

life is good.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not ridden it yet (pushed up it) but the new trail I discovered near the end of my road last weekend looks pretty decent. Starts off by riding through a cemetary – I'm off to hell for this one!

Sanny
    Free Member

Karnali

Re the Newlands Pass ride

Ride out from Crag Houses via Sail Beck. Climb and descend to what was the old purple house. Sad to see it got demolished last year as it was a bit of a landmark.

Return is via High Moss, Crag Hill and Whiteless Pike.

Be prepared for a short section of airy scrambling (about 5 minute carry) on the way to Whiteless Pike.

The descent off Whiteless Pike is superb. Definitely one to drop the saddle and mixes slow speed tech with fast grassy descents and some nice steep sections. Classic Lakeland riding really. Not a ride for a newbie or if you lack a little in technical confidence.

I can’t but help get the feeling that there are an awful lot of cheeky trail descents in the Lakes which would qualify as classic descents but I’ve still to ride them.

Has anyone ridden off Grizedale Pike? There is a very obvious line down it but I’ve not walked it so don’t know how rideable it would be.

Cheers

Sanny

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think this thread needs more pics.
    WARNING – images of sunshine and dry trails below!!!

Me on Headless Chicken:

Mid-week ride on Cut Gate on one of the hottest days of last summer. An excellent trail, made better (?) by the 'sanitisation'.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh and one more… in the spring/summer when its all dusty and hard, some of the sections at Dalby are truly amazing if you attack them flat out:

In the winter when its a draggy rutted mess, its rubbish.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I like the idea of having a favourite 200m of trail; mine is Gasgale Gill in the Lakes, it's fooker of a climb up to Coledale Hause, but in the middle of two hell-ish push/carrys there's a cheeky bit of hidden singletrack climb that make sit all worthwhile.

Favourite short ride is Barrow, from Uzzicar, up the mining track between Barrow and Causey Pike, left onto Barrow summit, then downt he grass track to Braithwaite. About the most fun you can have on a bike with only an hour to throw at it.

Favourite long ride; Helvellyn, coming up from Thirlmere, down via Raise and Sticks Pass.

Hardest thing I've ridden; Causey Pike. Brilliant.

anc
    Free Member

Sanny

Best way off Grisedale pike IMO is the path to Hobcarton end, its got some great steep singletrack on it. Sleet How way you can't ride the top section its borderline scramble at the top, the rest is good and rideable, but busy. Not that keen on the wall path into whinlatter bit boring its just straight and steep and can be boggy. Dropping off to Coledale is OK but nowt special really. There's a easy'ish way up of the top of the south loop of the Altura if your going up. 😉
    I agree on Whiteless that's a cracking descent as is Robinson to Buttermere village and Ullock Pike. My current fave is from Sprinkling tarn to Styhead then down Stockley bridge, its just epic and constantly technical.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

anc, agree with all of the above. The descent out of Coledale is good, but you can get better, love Wandope and Whiteless Pike. Not done Robinson to Buttermere or Ullock Pike, but I might have a look on your recommendation.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Another plus 1 for the Hobcarton route off Grisedale Pike – we came down there last night funnily enough. Here's the route Sanny (the blue line):

lunge

Maybe not the most "cool" suggestion to make, but the last few sections of Follow the Dog, from tankslapper onwards are some of my favourite bits of trail to ride. Ideally on a warm Friday evening in the fading light when everyone else has gone home.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder,
    is the "headless chicken" in your pic in Elland woods?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, thats what I said, Headless Chicken 😉

Sanny
    Free Member

Anc, paulrockliffe and parkedtiger

Cheers for the local knowledge. Is it just me or is the best riding in Scotland and the Lakes? And why is it that some of the best stuff in the Lakes is cheeky? Ha! Ha!

I'm thinking that it might make for a big day out to link up from Newlands onto Grizdale but then it would have to be special to miss out on the Whiteless Descent.

Ullock Pike – have you ever looked back at the top section off the summit and thought that in that rarest of ways, it looks even steeper from below? marvellous!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘The best trail in the UK’ is closed to new replies.