Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 771 total)
  • The 2011 Welsh Ride Thing is GO!
  • IanB
    Free Member

Page 5, sweet 🙂

Footpaths – I’d have thought not – there’s loads of forest trails, bridleways, rupp’s and boat’s to go at 😕

I’m likely to head clockwise too – seems to be the best way to pick up the ones from List B. Most of my route appears to be off road which is nice. Not looking to set any records, be first home or have the shortest possible route, but I’ve marked a few trails I rode back in 1993 (yes, really) which I’d like to do again and a few I’ve always wanted to do that I’m prepared to got a little out of my way for 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Yes clockwise seems the ideal.

Can’t confirm yet as my wingman is still navigating out of Dartmoor 😀

Chew
    Free Member

Think we’ve all had the same idea. Seems to be about which list B’s you go for.

Clockwise for me as well, and i think i can pick up food as I go along, so should be able to save alot of weight on food and cooking equipment. Worked out my route north, just need to work on the route back south.

Found a nice river crossing to do as well, although its easy to avoid.

stevemorg2

back now Pete – going to have a look at the GRs tomorrow

boingboing
    Free Member

I’ve started anticlockwise, simply lured by the number of grid refs that can be collected early on.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

back now Pete – going to have a look at the GRs tomorrow

Ok great I hope you and the family had a good trip?

speak soon 😀

IanB
    Free Member

OK, I’ve numbered Stuart’s the grid references in the order sent, List A: 1-11 and List B: A-D to make them easy to refer to without giving the specific locations away.

Checkpoints 3 and D both seem somewhat out of the way… Whilst Stuart’s “if you fancy doing all 15 then I take my hat off to you” statement is like red rag to a bull, I can’t really find what looks like a rewarding route to collect these two up. What’s everyone else doing?

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I agree those two are a bit off route, the other 13 can make a nice route, point D is a detour, but point 3 is really out of the way!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

‘Tis a very nice ride to 3 though 😉

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

All 15 in 171km on memory map, I’m not revisiting the main route now, just going to come up with abort routes for bad weather or dead legs!

Dyffers
    Free Member

Plans have changed now, but initially I was thinking of ticking off all but 3 and D then had a 90% road route to get ’em both if I had time on Monday morning.

By plans changed, I mean I’m now investing more effort convincing my leadout man he wants to climb 630m through potential bog up from Macynlleth to grid ref A. 😉

Dyffers
    Free Member

By the way, we found it less confusing to have A1 – A11 and B1 – B4 nomenclature…

Anthony
    Free Member

For 2 Wales novices would it be unwise to decide on a rough plan on the drive over? Should there be a little more research involved?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

For 2 Wales novices would it be unwise to decide on a rough plan on the drive over? Should there be a little more research involved?

Maybe 😀

or you could follow someone? 😉

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Been playing with the route on MM this afternoon (on a plane and some time to kill – not the best preparation for the legs at least)….. lots of (mentally) easy 10 – 20km legs so far. Not added them all up yet.

I’m broadly thinking clockwise and like IanB being west of Cadair on the first evening…. still working on the route over from Mach (with a lack of local knowledge). More time on Geograph and Google Maps/1:25000 should sort out Stuarts slightly criptic ‘legal ridge ride’ – access to this might be my issue… as far east as possible I think?

Might be missing the two most easterly points… I will definitely be knackered by Monday.

Nick

I’ve managed a couple of options, going clockwise I’ve got 95 miles and all but B2 and A10, does seem to mean a bit of road up the B4405.

Anti-clockwise I’ve managed a blistering 74 miles, just missing out A3, A7 & B4.

IanB
    Free Member

we found it less confusing to have A1 – A11 and B1 – B4 nomenclature…

As you wish – my system appealed to my minimalist nature 😉

@Anthony – I don’t know this area especially well. Lots of info on good bits here though: http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Glad everyone’s ‘enjoying’ the GR 😉

The ridge route should see you setting off from a very high point and passing over another 2 named smaller summits on your descent … if that helps. If those criptic clues still produce a blank, this link might be some use.

http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2011/tarren-ridge-mtb-ride/

There’s even video footage 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

great link Stu that video is really good looks like those descents are a must!!

Plenty of places to test the drybags too 😆

IanB
    Free Member

Useful – that’s pretty much what I had deduced 8)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I had assumed you’d have it covered already Ian 😉

IanB
    Free Member

Unlike the area around A1, A4, A5 and A11, and that’s before I consider A3 and B4. Still scratching my head on these.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Local knowledge must be great for doing this event.. Driving down from Fife, Scotland with my mate to do this. Still to sit down and look over the maps and try to put it all together.. Might be back soon for some much needed advice 8O!! Really looking forward to it having never attempted anything like it before…

Nick

Even though I’m only a couple of hours away at most I don’t know the area very well, sit down with a map and with Google Earth and it’s fairly easy to plan a route, ask a few questions about bits that look a bit interesting and away you go.

I’ve not got a route that takes in all the sights, all the WPs, has a pub at 35 miles on Saturday and Sunday and is 113 miles long and 21000ft of climbing, just need to check out a couple of bits and it’s looking pretty good really.

IanB
    Free Member

Ok, think I have it now. 161 km (100 miles) and 5400m ascent with all the check points.

I think the aspiration to be west of Cader by Saturday evening is very much weather dependent. If my experience of riding a loaded bike in the Beacons is anything to go by, then B1 is going to take longer than it looks.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

has a pub at 35 miles on Saturday and Sunday

This is what I like to hear 😀 I guess your planning not to move from there 😉

Nick

Depends on how good the pub is (last year’s pub was great), but I should point out that the pubs are at 35 miles and 70 miles respectively, so if we can make it to the first one on Saturday, the second should be ‘easy’ on the Sunday, given we’ll have more time to get to it 🙂

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Stu – cheers for that link – I had been on satellite images and had a similar climb up to the ridge line (not easy to make that work through the maze of forest tracks) but wasn’t too sure how far along the ridge to go before dropping off north…. All the way basically!

Looks like a great descent – let’s hope it’s not into a westerly gale!

Dyffers
    Free Member

All change for us.

Everybody’s talking about clockwise routes. Looks like the woods near Dolgellau will be full of bikers in bivvy bags on Saturday night.

CBA with a big pack ride to Machynlleth on Saturday afternoon, so were going to do our route backwards, anticlockwise, to get away from the crowds.

The route to B4 and on to A3 looks great going the other way. Then it’ll be a full roast for sunday lunch at Dolgellau whilst you’re all in the middle of nowhere eating cous cous. Ace. 😀

The best bit of all is that Monday morning will be insanely tough. Yay!

Tiger6791

My route will be planned around a pint & some lunch in the Railway at Abergynolwyn, that is all.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Is this going to be the real ale wobble with bivi thrown in???

Nick

Is this going to be the real ale wobble with bivi thrown in???

And without having to queue in a dogshit strewen flooded rugby pitch for the 2 toilets, one of which is overflowing….

99percentchimp
    Free Member

After some playing around and deliberations I think I have a plan now… likely to be 13 check points that take in 136km and 5040m of climbing around sunny* North Wales. As IanB says B1 might take a bit longer and we might even use that as our first night out if the weather is good – should be some good views of the sunset over the Irish Sea and a good down hill to get going on Sunday a.m.

Working on the short cuts and bale out options if weather and conditions dictate…. roll on the next May Bank Holiday!

* Stu – you have arranged this haven’t you?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It would seem we’re having the rain now, rather than the end of May 😉

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

But what tyres should I take? 😯

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d sacrifice a bit of grip for a fast rolling, lightish tyre … swampthings possibly not the best option 😀

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I’ve been on Furious Freds for weeks 😀 I’m actually thinking Racing Ralphs with a Nobby Nic maybe on front if the rain comes.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yes fast rolling tyres for me I need all the help to roll my rig on this epic 😀

Steve and I had a good planning night on Friday, added in some sweet looking descents for good measure. 😯

Going to sort out saddle bag later as my home made dry bag effort probably wont survive a 2 day mission – or would it 😉

Dyffers
    Free Member

My Maxxis Avantage/Ardent pair are starting to resemble slicks. Does this count as ‘fast rolling tyres’ 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

200!
    Losers 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 771 total)

The topic ‘The 2011 Welsh Ride Thing is GO!’ is closed to new replies.