• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Terrible celebrity endorsements.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Okay so I’ve just noticed one of STW’s adds features a well known celebrity endorsing a car brand. I honestly cannot fathom how anyone thought this was a good idea.

razorrazoo

andyrm
    Free Member

Easy. They are trying to reach a certain audience. Will.I.am has millions of followers in that target audience. Use his image rights to reach them, and you only need a tiny percentage to convert and you’ve made a lot of money.

The why’s & wherefores are wholly unimportant – it’s about reach and target demographic.

binners

I’ve always thought the same about this particular partnership. What’s the relevance to dandruff with premiership goalkeepers?

wwaswas

pictonroad

I imagine that given the revelations over the last few years a lot of the endorsements from the 80’s and 90’s will look somewhat inappropriate.

jimjam
    Free Member

andyrm – Member

Easy. They are trying to reach a certain audience. Will.I.am has millions of followers in that target audience. Use his image rights to reach them, and you only need a tiny percentage to convert and you’ve made a lot of money.

The why’s & wherefores are wholly unimportant – it’s about reach and target demographic.

It seems like a fairly contrived attempt by Lexus to shake off their slightly stodgy pensioner-centric image but I still find it ill judged.

Regardless of how many “followers” he has my impression (which may well be wrong) would be that most of them would be too young to afford to buy a Lexus, never mind insure one. And those that could surely would have little need for an “SUV”.

Even if a sizeable amount of his fans had the means and the inclination to buy a Lexus it strikes me that many more potential Lexus customers would be put off since he’s such a massive ass hat.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A snooker player endorsing windows and doors. Whut?

cranberry
    Free Member

beej

Will.i.am is now known to people who spend Saturday evening slumped in front of the TV as their kids dictate what they watch.

Those people may have money to afford a Lexus and want to be perceived as cool and edgy. They consider W to be cool and edgy. They see him with a Lexus and think, hey, it’s not just for pensioners! I’m a cool and edgy parent and I can prove this by buying a Lexus in white and chrome and all the other parents will think I’m a cool and stylish trendsetter and I’ll get more flirty-time from the other parents I fancy whilst waiting to pick up the kids outside the school.

drlex
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

t seems like a fairly contrived attempt by Lexus to shake off their slightly stodgy pensioner-centric image but I still find it ill judged.

I think they shook that off 10+ years ago, as far back as I’ve been bothered about such things they’ve always been the luxury/performance(in a RR sport kind of way, not Toyota Supra)/expensive end of the market.

Regardless of how many “followers” he has my impression (which may well be wrong) would be that most of them would be too young to afford to buy a Lexus, never mind insure one. And those that could surely would have little need for an “SUV”.

Depends who you think his demographic is, he’s 3 years younger than Liam Gallagher and Black Eyed Peas were formed 1 year after Oasis (according to Wikipedia). He’s just avoided the self destruct trajectory and kept on churning out the kind of stuff they play in Yates on a Saturday night.

And:
    They’re probably quite affordable on finance, plenty of people I know went out and got A3’s on finance with their first paycheck after uni (5 years ago), it’s probably quite a lucrative market. (the A3 being a skoda octavia in a frock, just like that lexus if a Toyota Corola)

And:
    20 something who can’t afford one now will have that brand image forever in their head when they can in 5-10 years time. How many on here would really like a Celica in castrol colours after growing up playing SEGA rally?

And:
    Anyone who is actualy so acheingly hipster cool it hurts, probably doesn’t follow him, but the 30 something having a mid life crisis doesn’t know that, so will buy the car that’s marketed at them.

tomd
    Free Member

Sorry, but someone has to invoke the image of the Unholy One in this context.

or

or

cheers_drive

OP – I agree and was going to post something similar the other day when I saw the advert. I work it marketing and don’t get who he is supposed to appeal to either.

jimjam
    Free Member

I see I have offended the Will.I.Am fans.

MSP

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZzeeAMtIVQ[/video]

Leku
    Free Member

khani
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

RoterStern
    Free Member

Linky This has been stinking the TV airwaves in Germany recently.

Liftman

Munrobiker – your picture isn’t working but I’m assuming it’s Steve Davis endorsing the edinburgh windows and door company. Always makes us laugh when we see it, wtf does Steve know about double glazing

ThePinkster

And those that could surely would have little need for an “SUV”.

But there again how many people who do own one actually need it?

mark90
    Free Member

all the other parents will think I’m a cool and stylish trendsetter and I’ll get more flirty-time from the other parents I fancy whilst waiting to pick up the kids outside the school.

OK, I’m in, sign me up for a Lexus 😀

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

oliverracing

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

😯

jimjam
    Free Member

Black Talon bullet in the chamber no less.

midlifecrashes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82gWQFEpQA[/video]

Andy Warhol for TDK video tapes!

andyl
    Free Member

What is he thinking?

drlex
    Free Member

What is he thinking?

“Do they give me the cheque before I leave or do they post it on?”

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Terrible celebrity endorsements.’ is closed to new replies.