Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Tern Folding Bikes
  • jonnyrobertson

Yeah, asking again about folding bikes. I’m in two minds. It would be for taking to work (not commuting to work on) and used to get me from my work locations to train stations where ordinarily a taxi would be used, or I might just walk to the station. Now the walks I enjoy, stick my headphones on ad lose myself for a bit. Have some long walks, e.g 7.4 miles Acton to St Pancras, 6 and a bit miles depending on route taken Immingham to Habrough. Some shorter walks that could be made longer on a bike (Rotherham to Mwadowhall could be extended to Sheffield for example).

Thing is, I’d probably get more benefit by just walking, wouldn’t I? Plus I get to listen to my music. But the foldy itch is still there. I’m looking at Terns, probably second hand but there are deals to be had. Two questions, 1, are they any good? And 2, what do all those letters mean? A7, B7, C7, D7? It’s a tad confusing.

Pauly

Most important thing is to check the hinge hasn’t started to get ‘baggy’. No way of fixing the issue.
    If you’re going to buy a folder, get a Brompton. There’s a reason they’re more expensive and it’s a good one.

jonnyrobertson

Can’t afford a Brompton and neither could I justify it for what I’m planning to use it for. I appreciate the residuals are great but you only get that back if you sell it! Hence why I’m looking at something 2nd hand as I’m not even sure I can justify 400 quid on a discounted Tern.

crossed

I bought a Tern B8 disc last year. Much nicer than a Brompton to ride. It’s slightly bigger than a Brompton when folded but not hugely.

sherpachris

I’ve got a Tern folder single speed with a coaster brake, it’s a link Uno I think. I don’t know what those letters/number mean.

It’s the only folder I’ve owned so I have nothing to compare it to but it seems reasonable quality, strong enough and fun to ride.

I don’t use it much really, I bought it to keep in my van so I could get out when I have some down time at work but I normally take a full size bike nowadays, think the longest ride I’ve done is a pretty flat 30ish miles.

Mine has mudguards, a little rack on the back and a stand, perfect for nipping to the shops etc. I ought to get it out and use it more.

hijodeputa
    Free Member

I’ve got a brompton, Terns do look more robust but not tried one. The btwin tilt seems to get good reviews and is pretty cheap

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had one. It was ok for occasional use. Just make sure you get a good one. A lot non-cyclists buy them so they can either be in “as new” condition, or used a lot and completely neglected with worn out hinges etc

I was putting mine in the car every day and eventually the cr@ppy fold got too annoying. The whole thing was held together with a rubber strap thing which just broke. It was also quite large when folded compared to a Brompton. I didn’t think it rode better either, seemed more flexy, but I had the S2L brompton which has stiffer bars.

susepic

If you’re taking it to work you have to work out how small they fold, both for public transport and for in the office.
    Bromptons are the best folders out there (IMO) and will go on a train luggage rack (not overhead), and hide under your desk. It’s been a while since i commuted on one, but the terns and others took up significantly more room on the train, and certainly wouldn’t have hidden under my desk. Later starters in the the office who didn’t see me arrive were surprised that i used a Brompton to commute as it was so unobstrusive. (but just wondered why i was also sweaty and smelly))

simon_g

I’ve got a Carrera Intercity Disc which I’m 99% sure is an older generation Tern rebadged. Rides fine, arguably better than the Brompton I had. It’s fine for chucking in the car so I can keep up with the kids on their bikes or scooters in the park, or doing the odd errand, but the fold is awkward and it doesn’t really hold itself together like a folded Brompton does. For taking on a train I’d justify the extra on a Brompton any day.

When I had the Brompton it was for around-London use but with the offical hire bikes plus all the dockless ebikes (Lime, Dott, Tier, etc) and scooters I find those much more convenient to use.

StirlingCrispin

Can you hire a Brompton to test the idea in principle ?

https://bromptonhire.com/

Then you can decide on the bike to make it work.

Disclaimer: I bought my Brompton over 20 years ago. Doesn’t get a mass of use these days but still gets dragged out for the occasional excursion (House-Stirling-Livingston etc). You’ll never regret buying one. They are also the ultimate courting machine, but that’s another story.

TiRed

Have/had…
    Airframe – light, flexy, unique, gave to a collector.
    Brompton – heavy, twitchy, fabulous fold. Sold.
    Airnimal Rhino – novel folding MTB, nice ride, heavy and a challenging fold. Stolen.
    Tactic Panache – light, fixed wheel, road bike position, drop bars and Brompton luggage, creaks due to aluminium frame and hinge. Used daily.
    BTwin Tilt 100 – heavy, fixed wheel, good riding position, upgraded longer, lighter seat post, added drop bars and extended stem and a rear rack. Son1 commuting around Dublin on this.

I regret selling the Brompton now I commute with a bike, but I much prefer carrying the Tactic that weighs nearly 3 kilos less! Tern’s are great bikes, and if you want folding for portability, rather than getting on and off trains, but one. The Tern BYB P8 is a much better fold than previous, it’s relatively light and has bigger wheels than the Brompton. It’s the first advance in folding for 20″ bikes beyond fold-in-half. Some used ones on Ebay. Otherwise, a single speed Btwin Tilt 100 is decent for £100. Needs better tyres though.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes/471/byb-p8

jonnyrobertson

Brilliant, cheers. Some great info here. Still can’t justify a Brompton, Mrs and two kids come before me having a bike to use WHILST I’m at work. Saw a bloke with a Tern at Peterborough Station this morn, I was going for my own train so didn’t see him fold it.

One thing to note is that I’ll be often lifting this thing up and down from track level so as long as its not too awkward, I.e trying to unfold as I lift it high then that’s a big plus. Yes, I know a Brompton is better in that respect. Still can’t afford it! Like I said, this could just be me dreaming amd I might just stick to what’s either on my diagram (taxi, trains/tube) or walking. But then like yesterday’s job, arrived Acton at 03:50 ish, first train from Acton to St Pancras wasn’t until 05:47 or something so I just walked to catch the 06:36 home from St P. Had I been on the bike I could have caught the earlier 05:27 home instead…

TiRed

One thing to note is that I’ll be often lifting this thing up and down from track level

To be honest, when I used the Btwin, and it is a mighty steel beast, I just rolled it into a lift. The revolution was catching the train into Ealing and I noticed a few Tilts and they just folded them in half rather than lower saddle and handlebars. That’s enough. Try a used one on FB Marketplace or Ebay for £100 for the single speed Tilt 100. I was impressed with the ride.

The Tactic is light enough to carry up the stairs easily, but I don’t fold it much either. Here it is on the way to Stevenage.

tootallpaul

I have a Dahon Mu Uno sitting in the shed if you are interested. Drop me a line.

jonnyrobertson

Sorry, when I said lifting it from track level I meant from the ground into the loco so roughly head height. Also the corridor behind the loco cabs are extremely narrow so the smaller the fold the better (yeah yeah, Brompton…)

Paul, your Dahon is a singlespeed, yeah? Hmmmm… do I trade simplicity for being able to get some speed up…jeez, this is turning into a minefield!

TiRed

All makes sense now 🙂 . The Tilt 100 is a lump (mine is over 12 kilos). The alloy Tern or Dahon Mu Uno is a better bet, they ALL fold relatively narrow (as per Brompton) but you might want to be sure of a folding pedal on the drive side (not a given for the cheapest). A singlespeed riding from Acton is not so bad, but you might also want to increase the gearing. There are MANY cheap options on Ebay for 20-inch fold-in-halfs of all sorts. I’d buy something alloy, relatively cheap and see if you use it first. The Tilt is impressive but it is heavy for lifting AND slow to fold.

I wanted a Mu Uno for fixed duties, the new ones are Gates belt drive with no chain stays.

jonnyrobertson

Found a Tern C8 for sale at a bike shop relatively near by. Going for a good price but will need a rack. Work bag too heavy and sweaty. The only issue I’m having now is will they fit through the door of the loco as the openings are extremely narrow. Go through them most days but never thought I’d be wanting to measure the opening! I’ll have to have a look tomorrow when I get to work. Also done some measuring of the car boot and whilst the boot is great given the size of the car the bike will take up most of it. Might speak to the shop, see if they’ll let me buy it, take to it to work, test it for fitment amd if its a fail, return it. Can’t exactly take the train to them…

thepodge
    Free Member

There is a Giant Clip & a Giant Halfway for sale near me, I have no need for a folder but quite like these for their single sided oddness.

jonnyrobertson

Ooooh I like the look of that! And you can fit a rack! Just messaged a seller on fb marketplace so we’ll see what happens with that. For the proce I’m happy to take a punt. Cheers!

thepodge
    Free Member

I imagine we’re looking at the same one which has (thankfully) probably saved me some cash. Let me know how it goes.

Aidy
    Free Member

It’s the first advance in folding for 20″ bikes beyond fold-in-half.

Some Birdy’s have 20″ wheels

Aidy
    Free Member

Going for a good price but will need a rack. Work bag too heavy and sweaty.

Just a word of warning that conventional bike luggage can be annoying on folders, smaller wheels mean both heel and ground clearance can be an issue.

jonnyrobertson

@thepodge, was the one you were looking at near Donny for £150? It’s in my garage now! That all escalated rather quickly! I have to say, it’s a great ride, shifts great, brakes great, slight creak from hinge sorted with a dab of copper slip. It’s light enough for lifting on to the loco from track level, folds tight enough to get through the loco cab doors and has guards and a rack (which many Terns lack). The handlebar catch was broken, a replacement ordered for 6 quid posted, folding pedals ordered as well. Nothing to stop it swinging open when folded but a reusable zip tie sees to that. Not exactly a hardship and the blimmin thing cost £150 so as far as I’m concerned it was an absolute bargain. Looking forward to putting it to use sometime soon.

@Aidy
    , I’m not getting any specific bike luggage for it, I’ll lob my work backpack on the rack amd secure it with a bungee cord. This is not an every day commuter, this is just for the jobs where I have taken a train somewhere and have to travel back (or vice versa), it’ll get me from the yard to the station when ordinarily my work schedule will have me taking a taxi (or public transport if in London). Some weeks it will get plenty of use, some weeks little use and some none at all. It didn’t have to be perfect but I’d did have to fit some very specific criteria. The fact I’ve managed to get a bike I’m extremely happy with for less than half the price I was expecting to have to pay is an unexpected bonus.

Thanks to all for your replies and especially to ThePodge for putting me on the Giant route. Sorry if I’ve stolen your next bike.

TiRed

Did you get the Halfway or the Clip? The Halfway has a lot of kudos from the legendary Mike Burrows. A friend bought one new on my recommendation a few years ago. Clip is neat in that you can pull it along. Since it has guards, I’m guessing the Clip. Glad it’s worked out.

Some Birdy’s have 20″ wheels

Same fold as the smaller one though. The BYB has a revolutionary double folding frame that really makes the size competitive with a Brompton. Now if Brompton would bring out a 20 inch version with a longer frame, they would again have a killer product in a different market.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s not just a “fold in half” arrangement though, right?

TiRed

Correct. Birdy’s have a complex fold with a rigid mainframe and a linkage that folds the front wheel back on itself (and imparts front suspension). I was looking out for a Frog, their 12″ version. I think they threw in the towel on that model when Brompton became so dominant. Sold to Pacific Bikes. Who also make the magnificent Carryme (designed by their CEO who is a fan of folding bikes).

https://www.atob.org.uk/r-m-frog/ if you’re a folding geek like me.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve had a Pacific Reach for a while (one of the originals, more of a packable bike than a folding bike). I’d love one of the newer ones, which seem a little more folding, but they seem impossible to get short of flying out to the manufacturer.

I’ve just picked up a Mezzo.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah you got my bike… Saved me £150 I didn’t need to spend so grateful of that in a way.

That frog looks tiny, I love it.

TiRed

I’ve just picked up a Mezzo.

Great bikes. there was a rough one for restoration on FB for £75 recently. Designed by John Whyte. Should be the STW goto. If they still made them. Conquered by Brompton.

Yesterday I carried my folded Tactic from Vauxhall train station platform to the Victoria Line tube platform, and from the Victoria Line at Kings Cross to the train platform (it’s quite a walk). You wouldn’t do that with a 12 kilo Brompton! Of course once I was on the tube, I wondered why I hadn’t cycled from Waterloo to Kings Cross 😀

Aidy
    Free Member

Conquered by Brompton.

Yeah, it’s a real shame about that. I’ve had a Brompton in the past too, the Mezzo seems much better as a bike, and doesn’t seem too much of a compromise in folding compared to a Brompton.

TiRed

atob magazine is the place to go for all things folding https://www.atob.org.uk/mezzo-i4/ . Always an honest review of these and electric bikes, and transport in general. I’ve been a paper subscriber for a very long time. Like the Birdy, it has a rigid mainframe. My Tactic creaks like a mouse famine when I haven’t greased the main joint! I was thinking of another Brompton myself (I had an early six speed and it was the reason I stripped down the Tactic to 8 kilos), likely a P model as T’s are unobtainium and also subject to creaking according to the FB group.

Aidy
    Free Member

I was a bit tempted by a P line, T line was more money than I could reasonably justify to myself.
    Looks like there’s enough aftermarket bits and pieces now that you can properly weight weenie them.

On reflection though, I think the Mezzo is the right choice for now. I think I’d find the gear range of a Brompton too limiting.

(I’m not a commuter, but I’m trying to get back to utility cycling, and I hate scrabbling around trying to lock bikes up)

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw you can build up a full Ti Brompton from aftermarket parts cheaper and lighter than a genuine one.

TiRed

Try 5.2 kilos. That’s less than half the weight of stock and nearly three kilos lighter than their own T line. It’s a clone as the frame and forks are not authentic Brompton titanium. But it’s fabulous. Definitely a Starbike!

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154985

thepodge
    Free Member

Cheaper than a T line but not exactly cheap. Very impressive though.

jonnyrobertson

@thepodge, bliimin eck, I feel bad now. Feel like I really have snatched that bike from under you. I.never gave it a thought, it was local enough and the timing was just perfect for me to be able to go and see/buy it.

@TiRed
    ,it’s a Halfway. I’ll try and get a couple.of screenshots from rhe advert up. Slimmer saddle already fitted and flat bars which will help the folding just that little bit nore. Was speaking to one of our groundstaff the other day and he was telling me there’s a driver who works for another freight company who does what I am planning to do. Thier company pays better than ours do though, he’s got a Brompton.

thepodge
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it, if I was seriously considering it I’d have not told you it was there. I’m doing a few train trips in April so have been falling down the rabbit hole of folding bikes to make the journey a bit easier but haven’t managed to fully convince myself to buy one yet as I could spend £100-1000 or I could just get the wife to pick me up.

TiRed

That’s a nicer ride than a Brompton. It’s alloy too, so light. And lots of kudos from Burrows (RIP). My friend has a Klikfix basket fitted to the bars instead of the Giant rack, which look excellent. Great buy! Enjoy the ride. It has non parallel seatpost and steerer tubes, so fits all sizes with increasing reach for taller riders. Bromptons don’t do that and are a challenge for small riders.

jonnyrobertson

First go on the bike today. It was alright actually! Weather held off for me, thankfully. 7 and a bit miles from Grimsby to Immingham docks. One issue was my bag didn’t want to sit still on the rack. Underestimated what I’d néed to keep it still so will have to rethink. Think I have a Fasty strap knocking about somewhere. Bag went on my bag instead and that’s not a viable option long term. Will probably end up riding the 4 miles home from Notts Station as well so a decent first play.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m back looking at https://www.halfords.com/bikes/folding-bikes/carrera-intercity-disc-9-speed-folding-bike-536878.html?stockInventory=undefined for ~£380 with BC discount and cashback, on top of the £414 sale price. Officially max 13.5Kg rider plus 15Kg luggage according to Halfords FAQs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.