Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Tent track world… Which 2 man 100% watertight tent?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

A little different to most peoples suggestions but what about Force10 tents?. I have a “Classic cotton” and I’d happily use it anywhere I could carry it. It’s not light by any means though so best used from the car.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have tried a few over the years, all of which have succumbed to the elements during a night long downpour.

As above, any tent beyond a cheapo £50 SHOULD be waterproof if you’ve done it right. I’ve only ever had three tent leaks:

1) £50 tent from mid 90s, it rained so hard water splashed up from the ground at the foot of the fly and got the bottom of the inner wet – even then the fabric did not leak. In our cotton caravan awning rain was being smashed through the fabric in a fine mist by the force of it.

2) Holes in the tent caused by a broken gas lantern – half a dozen holes in the fly only admitted a few drops of water.

3) Water leaking in from water puddling under the groundsheet – when I lifted it up to the light it was full of thousands of tiny holes, from many nights on rough dirt/gravel without a footprint.

Sometimes the odd drip from condensation too. I’d be very surprised if your previous tents have actually leaked rain in.

Anyone have any experience of the Marmot Grid Plus?

I’m on my second Marmot tent, they are awesome.

what about Force10 tents?

Shite from start to finish, unless you are an outdoor centre and need it to withstand hamfisted treatment for 30 years. Actually i should add that to the list – that one did just leak, like a sieve.

MrNice
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience of the Marmot Grid Plus?

I bought one a few weeks ago. I’ll admit a big factor was a huge discount at Cotswold but it seemed to tick all the boxes. Although there’s probably a reason it was discounted I assume that was because Marmot are less well known in the UK for tents. I was hoping to get more tent for my money than something at RRP and it seems to have lots of features (only time will tell about build quality).

Only used it once but so far I can say:
    + lots of the sorts of features you get on high end tents such as tensioning straps so you don’t need to keep re-pegging
    + it pitches all in one (if you packed it that way) and doesn’t need guys to stand up so it goes up very fast despite the poles looking complicated at first glance
    + good sized porch – you won’t fit a bike in but plenty of space to cook or stash other kit
    + lots of vents
    + feels very robust though it’s not been tested properly yet
    – only one entrance
    – inner is not generous for two, especially at the foot end (sleeping mats would overlap and you won’t get a double air mattress in)
    – good luck finding a footprint (I need to get round to cutting down a cheap groundsheet)
    – why do manufacturers insist on supplying a bag that makes re-packing the tent some sort of twisted 3d spatial skills test?

peterfile
    Free Member

inner is not generous for two, especially at the foot end (sleeping mats would overlap and you won’t get a double air mattress in)

+1

I spent 4 nights in one last year and it always featured highly on my list of “wants”…but i was glad to get out of it at the end of the trip. Pretty cramped for 2 people if you need to get changed in it or spend any time in it IMO.

Well built though and very well suited for UK conditions, especially if you just need somewhere to sleep.

andy8442
    Free Member

Vango Omega 350. Not particularly expensive, strong and plenty of room for two.

molgrips
    Free Member

good luck finding a footprint (I need to get round to cutting down a cheap groundsheet)

You might try getting one made. I had the groundsheet replaced in my Westwind for something silly like £30 from Scottish Mountain Gear, so I suspect they could make one, probably in a variety of grades, for a sensible price.

MrNice
    Free Member

molgrips – thanks for the tip, will check them out tonight

peterfile – I read the grid plus was specifically aimed at wet European conditions and has a more robust inner than Marmot’s other tents for this reason

Spin
    Free Member

Noticed a few folks recommending Lightwaves so clearly they’ve had good experiences.

However, I’ve just returned one (G20 Trek Geodesic) it being by far and away the worst tent I’ve ever used. Leaky, impossible to pitch right and holes appearing at seams after 3 weeks of use. A quick google and some input from other users suggests that I’m not alone in this.

There being a number of both good and poor experiences suggests to me that QC or perhaps a lack of testing of certain models could be at the root of it. It’s a shame as the basic design is good.

wideboy
    Free Member

More useful info, just been perusing the Lightwave G20.

As the search continues my budget and ‘wants’ are warping! Now also looking for 4 season hardiness for some winter adventures!

Still like the Trango!

Grid plus sale price appeals! Any of you guys been out in one in winter?

Thinking short trips, couple of nights, cram 2 of us in there.

peterfile
    Free Member

Grid plus sale price appeals! Any of you guys been out in one in winter?

Thinking short trips, couple of nights, cram 2 of us in there.

I’ve only been out in one in summer…but IMO you’d get cabin fever in winter.

I do most of my camping in winter and even a spacious 2/3 man can get a bit cramped after you add in winter kit and the fact that you’re in it from 4pm until 8am. From memory, 2 people won’t be able to sit up straight at the same time, which is a deal breaker for me.

Two sleeping mats, two winter bags and winter clothing is going to pretty much consume most of the inner of the tent. If the weather is bad, you’re cooking in it, eating in it, sitting in it, getting changed in it, sorting out kit in it and sleeping in it for 14+ hours of darkness.

wideboy
    Free Member

Yep, peterfile, that!

Least it would be warm 🙂

Really trying to squeeze two tents out of one, want something to go for lone wanderings in summer, but still do trips with a.n.other in winter.
    Probably asking too much!

Although with enough single malt sitting up wont be an option anyway 😉

@wanmankylung: Was just outbid on a trango 3.1 the other day!

Cheers

peterfile
    Free Member

Really trying to squeeze two tents out of one, want something to go for lone wanderings in summer, but still do trips with a.n.other in winter.

In that case, you want a Tarptent Scarp 2, with crossing poles and a solid inner.

1.7kg in summer mode, a wee bit heavier in winter mode.

Good luck finding one in the UK though 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

So what have you bought or tried ?

wideboy
    Free Member

Still bobbing around the North Sea i’m afraid so no fettling of fancy tents yet.

But, think i’m sold on the Trango 2. Apart from going up inner 1st there don’t seem to be too many bad reviews. It’s a wee bit on the heavy side for solo trips, but mostly I’ll be with someone else and/or camping out the car, so not much of an issue for most of my needs. On the occasional solo trip i’ll not be going too far anyway so it’ll still work.

The Hilleberg kit looks great and has fantastic reviews, but can’t really justify spending £700-800 for the amount of use it will get.

badllama
    Free Member

I’ve a Colman about 8 years old and never had any issues £126.00 new. Too heavy for backpacking but ideal to throw in the car 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tent track world… Which 2 man 100% watertight tent?’ is closed to new replies.