Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • Tenants not paid rent………….
  • Flaperon

Just so you know, the tenant can legally deny you access even if you do give 24 hours notice. Should you attempt to force your way in, you will be committing a criminal offence (insane, isn’t it?).

toys19
    Free Member

Just so you know, the tenant can legally deny you access even if you do give 24 hours notice. Should you attempt to force your way in, you will be committing a criminal offence (insane, isn’t it?).

As a landlord I used to think so too, but they have paid the rent, it is “their” house. I haven’t been refused access in a long time, I try to keep them happy so they don’t object to seeing me when its necc. But then if a tenant ever did refuse I’d be giving them notice asap, just because I don’t want a tenant who doesn’t trust me, or I cannot trust.

Mugboo

As a landlord (2 houses/pension fund), it feels like all the risk is mine.

I can take all the precautions I want, the end result is that the bond, which I am now not to be trusted with, would not even re carpet downstairs.

The law may say one thing but the reality is another. Where is the risk to the tenant?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That they get evicted on a whim. No security of tenure, that rent can be increased without reason given.

I remember before the law was changed under Thatcher – you could have secure tenancies – ie you could only be evicted for breach of contract not for the landlords convenience, when rents were controlled so the landlord could only charge a fair rent.

Really – the system is rigged so far in the landlords favour here. People rent long term in continental europe as they have security of tenure.

Brycey
    Free Member

Edit – life’s too short

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

You rentiers and useres are immoral and going to Hell.Repent your sins.

bamboo
    Free Member

I didn’t bother reading the arguments above, but TJ’s last point is 100% correct – thank you TJ for pointing out the inconvinient truth, despite being a landlord yourself (as far as I believe)

Mugboo

Not worth arguing about as usual 😕

It is not right that there are slum landlords out there still.

But neither is it right that a non paying tenant takes so long to be removed. In the mean time they can do untold damage to the house which realistically they will never have to pay for.

In this kind of case, the law prevents the tenant from being evicted. In theory, the law then protects the landlord in pursuing for the damage but the reality is very different.

I have had two problem tenants in 7yrs (recession has hurt them), both I have helped rather than gone for eviction. Eventually though, if I get the Tenant from Hell, the law will not be on my side and will not provide the money to repair my house.

enfht
    Free Member

Only take on tenants who qualify for rent guarantee insurance.

The name is misleading though as the reason to have it is so somebody else pays for AND takes care of the legal eviction, and covers the rent if it drags on.

My landlord mate swears by it

hora
    Free Member

Where is the risk to the tenant?

You can chase them for additional damages through the small courts?

hels
    Free Member

Yes just read all of this, I am both tenant and landlady myself so can see both sides !

If you get a good agent they are worth having, but hard to find.

I pay an extra £10 a month to the agency to be part of the rent guarantee thing, sounded like a cheap way to cut any potential losses and thought it might keep the agency a bit more honest if they know they take the hit on any unpaid rent.

Might be worth looking into in future ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mugboo
    But neither is it right that a non paying tenant takes so long to be removed.

relativly quick and easy to do

In this kind of case, the law prevents the tenant from being evicted.

No it doesn’t – serve notice as per the contract and then you can get a possession order.

the scales are firmly balanced in favour of the landlords

cb

Speaking as a landlord (reluctant one) what TJ says is true in that I could evict tenants at 2 months notice, given that they have been in the property for over two years and are effectively on a rolling contract. I think that is wrong unless breaches of contract become obvious (that is where this thread started after all).

The reality is somewhat different as a sane landlord would never want to evict a decent tenant. When trying to evict a problem tenant there are far too many hoops to jump through to re-gain the property. Idiot tenants cause good landlords problems and idiot landlords cause good tenants problems. I blame the idiots!

Shame we sold off so many LA properties back in the day…

Gribs

No it’s not. Why should they want a stranger coming into the place they live? I personally haven’t seen or spoken to my landlord in nearly 2 years and if they gave me 24 hours notice I’d tell them to piss off, politely of course, and arrange a time that was suitable for me.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

My landlord is ace, and I am ace in return!

But then, we are good mates… But, after 10 1/2 years I must get a medal for never being late with a payment, let alone missing one!

Just wish he would buy me a house (to rent!) with an extra bathroom…. 2 teenage girls don’t leave much time for anyone else in the morning 😈

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont understand why you wouldn’t let your landlord in when they want to visit? (gribs this isnt directed at you specifically, its just unfortunate timing that your post is above this one)

our landlord has only ever visited when he’s wanted to check on work that’s been done (few visits around time the boiler was being ripped out and new one put in, and now he’s popping round to check on the decorating that was needed as a result of the old system being ripped out) we would never dream of denying him, or the letting agent’s access, letting agents do 2 visits a year as per tenancy agreement, landlord’s only been to the house about 4 times in 3 years and as mentioned, that’s only to check on work he’s paying for.

yes we pay rent, but its his house and part of being a considerate tenant is remembering that he’s been kind enough to let us rent his house and trusts us to look after it as if it were our own for the rental period. we don’t break the rules of the tenancy so have nothing that we’d need to hide or cover up in advance of him popping over.

despite official line of contact being through the letting agent, the landlord and i exchange texts and calls to each others personal mobile when it comes to coordinating any work that needs to be done. he’s a nice chap and always comments that we’re ideal tenants, as a result the rent has only gone up £25 per month in 4 years despite rental values in the area going much much higher.

respect is the key i think, respect the tenancy agreement, respect the property, respect the payments, respect the other parties in the agreement 🙂

when we leave the property it will be cleaner and better decorated than when we moved in, its only polite innit!

toys19
    Free Member

phil, what you are describing is the kind of relationship I like to have with my tenants too, but this experience of ours has no bearing on the right to refuse entry. If the landlord was an arse, then you need to be able to keep him out of YOUR home.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed – you might have a landlord who thinks its OK to enter 24hrs after posting a letter saying he will and who will then search your private correspondence

philconsequence
    Free Member

true… i can understand that point of view 🙂

mrsconsequence and i are pretty keen on keeping the rent as low as possible though so we’ll always go out of our way to accommodate the landlord!

EDIT – searching through private correspondence? that’s illegal innit?! the landlord can wander round the house, but if he tried to open a wardrobe, drawer or letter i’d nipple cripple him.

Gribs

i dont understand why you wouldn’t let your landlord in when they want to visit? (gribs this isnt directed at you specifically, its just unfortunate timing that your post is above this one)

It’s not that I wouldn’t let them in, it’s more that it’ll be at a time of my choice, rather than 24 hours notice, as I’d want to be in and could have other things planned.

I also don’t feel like they’re doing me a favour renting me the house as the number of buy to lets round here has pushed the prices high enough that I can’t afford to buy a small house in a reasonable area so have to rent.

philconsequence
    Free Member

to the landlords:

is there a ‘blacklist’ of tenants, a secret list of names of people who you really shouldn’t rent to? maybe tattooed onto the back of a french singers head like in rush hour 3?

if so i can happily reccommend a couple of names for it that i’ve had the misfortune of sharing a property with. 👿

EDIT – makes sense completely gribs! and i share your frustration at the buy-to-let crowd pricing me out of being able to get on the property ladder.

joao3v16
    Free Member

being able to get on the property ladder

it’s not really a ladder these days, more of a kick-step

Scamper
    Free Member

Why is it wrong that on a rolling contract a landlord only has to give 2 months notice, after the initial period and if no 6 month extention is signed? After all, the tennant only has to give a month usually and thus both parties retain a degree of flexibility.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Scamper, the issue is that there are many Landlords who will serve notice on a whim for no real reason.
    So you could have great tenants and turn there world upside down just because you can.
    Its also not really fair as tenants are forced into a position where they know if they complain/report anything to the landlord they face the risk of eviction and all the hassle of finding another property. Its totally biased in the landlords favour.
    If we(the UK) adopted some of the legal constraints as in some parts of Europe tenants would have much stronger rights and we would remove the ease with which landlords could evict for no reason.

geebus
    Free Member

From the tenants point of view it might be ‘on a whim’, but I suspect in most cases there’s a good reason for it. Few landlords will want to get rid of good tenants!

I was letting out my maisonette for a while. It wasn’t in tip top state, but the rent was probably a little lower than the state it was in justified still, so they didn’t have a bad deal.
    One of the tenants worked for a letting agent.

I got a call regarding the boiler and it being dangerous from the letting agent.
    He told me I could be sent to prison, etc.

I requested he immediately send me the report as this was contradictory to previous reports.
    No report ever arrived despite further hassling etc.
    He also tried to get me to rent through his company.

Of course when he then called me to explain that the tenants would really like to stay when it was found out I wasn’t renewing the lease, I didn’t directly say “Yea, like you think I’m going to let people threatening to send me to prison over nothing live in my house.”
    My circumstances had changed then anyway, so I moved back in.
    The tenants probably told everyone they were being kicked out for “no reason”, when in reality they had got an aggressive and rude person to represent them in a threatening manner.

mrmo
    Free Member

Scamper, are you going to pay my moving costs? are you going to give me the £1500 i need upfront to move when you decide you want to kick me out?

And you wonder why i think landlords are scum.

hels
    Free Member

The conditions of renting a property are fairly clear – you don’t own it and it’s not a permanent residence. If your landlord and you had signed a 99 year lease mrmo I could see your point. But you haven’t.

If you want a more permanent home and have faith in your ability to pay the rent long term and are grown up enough to take personal responsbibility for doing so, than negotiate a longer lease.

mrmo
    Free Member

hels, my experience of trying for longer leases is they may give you a year but that is about it. Some agents seem to work by driving our tenants every 6 to 12 months as they make money on fees. I have also come across mortgage clauses that prohibit longer leases.

toys19
    Free Member

hels, my experience of trying for longer leases is they may give you a year but that is about it. Some agents seem to work by driving our tenants every 6 to 12 months as they make money on fees. I have also come across mortgage clauses that prohibit longer leases.

Exactly agents driving cost bases.
    My BTL mortgage companies will only allow me to use AST’s, I’m not sure if there is length limit though.

But both Teej and SA are misrepresenting the market, there are other types of tenancies, the problem is that landlords don’t know about them or won’t offer them because of the mortgage co limitations and the fear of “sitting tenants” (I don’t know much about this). I only rent to students and they AST suits this perfectly as neither of us want to continue the tenancy, but in the past I have considered the idea of longer tenancies with families etc. Also after the fixed period tenants only have to give one months notice so it kind of cuts both ways..

geordiemick00
    Free Member

to answer above a contract is a contract but if you awarded an unreasonable contract i.e. 10 years it could surely be argued that 10 years is too long? Shorthold isn’t 10 years! A local housing authority uses a totally different agreement to a commercial landlord who needs the flexibility to take possession back in case they need to sell up, move back in if it was their main residence or in many cases put a tenant in who is willing to pay more rent. It’s easier to do that than enforce a rent rise.

Most agents are unwilling to offer more than 6 months because once tenancy has been granted the LL can’t serve notice so giving a tenant 12 months contract is potentially an expensive mistake. I gave a few out but only if they paid 6 months up front but they normally got a discount on the monthly rent too.

Scamper
    Free Member

I presume Mrmo would pay the landlords re-letting costs if he left after a contractual 6 months because on a whim he fancied a larger sitting room 😉

toys19
    Free Member

commercial landlord who needs the flexibility to take possession back in case they need to sell up,

I think this is a myth, in my locality a rental house with tenants in on an AST is worth more than an empty rental house. Yet every estate agent or letting agent I have spoken to will always say that you have to get rid of tenants before you put it on the market.. Fools.

Tiger6791

Fatman’s got something to sell
    To the capitol’s homeless
    At the Crossroads Hotel
    For the no-fixed-abodeless
    Where you can live life in style
    You can sleep in a closet
    And if you flash him a smile
    He’ll take your teeth as a deposit

There’s bats in the belfry
    The windows are jammed
    The toilets ain’t healthy
    And he don’t give a damn

He just chuckles and smiles
    And laughs like a madman
    A born again Rachman

Here comes Sheriff Fatman 😯

Had tenants once, they burnt my house down!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I think this is a myth, in my locality a rental house with tenants in on an AST is worth more than an empty rental house. Yet every estate agent or letting agent I have spoken to will always say that you have to get rid of tenants before you put it on the market.. Fools.

Wholeheartedly agree Toys but that only works if they are looking for a commercial buyer to take the tenant on too. A domestic buyer won’t go through with a purchase on a house with tenants in case they don’t move out or delay the sale, especially with a chain.

I sold quite a few in-between 2005-07 where tenants were served notice to sell up because the houses were in demand, but as Hels has pointed out tenants should know that they are not guaranteed a home.

In the current climate a landlord would be a fool to do that

mrmo
    Free Member

My landlord has gone bust and the neighbouring three houses he also owned are now vacant,tenants evicted by mortgage holder, and have been for a couple of months, they have for sale signs just very little interest. So rather than making some money they are costing money. I guess the houses will go to auction soon?

I did have a look at one and i might be able to get the mortgage but the flat roof on the one i looked at was on the point of failure something i wouldn’t be able to cover. There was also the minor issue of scrapping the deposit together. So will sit and wait a little longer. I might make an offer once my circumstances have stabilized for the house i am in as i guess the mortgage company will eventually give me notice as well.

mrmo
    Free Member

scamper, i just want somewhere to live and not have to move on evey 6-12 months because the landlord has gone bust, decided to repaint the flat, decided to evict when you point out they have breached the contract, etc.

I know it is hard to believe that someone might want to live somewhere for a few years, get comfy, save some money for deposit, savings, old age etc etc. As for covering a landlords costs, it is a business you know teh tenant will move on, so make sure your business plan covers it. From the tenants point of view you need somewhere to live it needs to be near where you work etc.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

As for covering a landlords costs, it is a business you know teh tenant will move on, so make sure your business plan covers it

Nice comedy comment that.

Show me someone who can foresee the unforeseen and I’ll show a business plan that would see it coming, but a £500 monthly rent would rise to about £1500 a month to account for all eventuality.

toys19
    Free Member

decided to repaint the flat

Can’t he do that whilst you live there? I do repairs and decorations with the tenants in, they seem v happy about it.

I understand your position, I have two mates who both have the same issue, always worried that the LL will move them on, they just want somewhere permanent. Have you considered housing assocs? Before you apply your prejudice they often have some v nice places and want long term security.

toys19
    Free Member

Nice comedy comment that.

Show me someone who can foresee the unforeseen and I’ll show a business plan that would see it coming, but a £500 monthly rent would rise to about £1500 a month to account for all eventuality.

No it isn’t – without wishing to diss you or your experience, but your comment reflects what is wrong with the rental market, too many idiot “investors” getting in at low yields (and idiot banks for lending against it) and then complaining when they miss 2 months rent or have to spend 5k on fixing the roof. You have to have enough slack to be able to cope with this.

mrmo
    Free Member

Toys i did look at HA, the area issue is the lesser problem and now that most new estates have to have social housing it could be worse.

The real problem is i don’t qualify. i have a job, i don’t have kids, i don’t have any mental health issues, so i get no points, i end up at the end of a very long list.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Tenants not paid rent………….’ is closed to new replies.