Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tell me NOT to ride my bike!
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m about 4 weeks into a forced 6 month layoff to let my knee recover (yet a feking gain) and its not feeling too bad today, can someone please tell me to put the helmet away, put the gloves back in the bag and go for a swim instead?

Olly
    Free Member

put the helmet away, put the gloves back in the bag and go for a swim instead!

forge197
    Free Member

Don’t do it as you could end up doing more damage than good.

MOJOK
    Free Member

Hurray for swimming, I wish I could go swimming!

forge197
    Free Member

wish I could swim 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Pff, get ’em back on again and go out. I did a hilly 110km this morning, i’m now typing this with a compression bandage on and will be changing to the frozen peas shortly. I’ve got an MRI scan next Friday, i figure i might as well give them something to look at.

Will-M

Go to a physio and get some exercises, they may say that some mild riding is a good type of rehabilitation. I cacked my knee up and was off the bike for 6 months too; I almost went mental, but if you don’t let it heal, it never will, and then you’ll be in pain every time you ride for the rest of your life. Cheery eh!

timber

better do as they say, a few months off is better than a lifetime of pain
    I’m having to do the same with a back injury – the GF is away, it is soooo sunny outside, the bikes are at peak fettle – I am indoors 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, I’m allowed to ride into town and back to work, but nothig fun 🙁

had an arthroscopy back in May which found no cartilage damage, and everything was going well with the recovery, untill booom, rode into work, and started walking up the steps, but there was nothing there, couldnt push down, very wierd feeling :-S

saw the doc’s and he took one feel of it and proclaimed the cartilage torn 🙁

fingers crossed it heals up properly this time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

timber, i know the feeling, my bike was hangig by a thread as a student, once i no longer wore bits out i just started compulsively upgrading and tweekng bits. It’s never felt so good!

AlasdairMc

Go for a swim, although watch what stroke you choose, breast stroke can be quite bad for a knee injury when you kick. My kick is quite ‘snappy’ and narrow, if yours is like this then you’d be better sticking to freestyle or backstroke. If you swim like your gran, you’ll be fine 🙂

nick1c
    Free Member

TINS – if the doc reckons you have a meniscal tear you should be seeing an orthopod, it won’t heal on its own. There are exercises you can do to minimise wasting pre-op.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have sex. Or a nap. But don’t ride (unless to a local shop to get some Guinness).

will
    Free Member

I feel for you man, 6 weeks not on a bike would make me seriously grumpy and un-happy!

Go swimming, but make it fun 😆 Rapids, slides etc… Thats what i’d do

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Will, used to swim in rivers when i lived in the Lake district as a kid, muchos fun (although probably incredibly dangerous)

leftyboy
    Free Member

Having a leg op on Monday, surgeon has told me to take 4 weeks off riding and that if I don’t it could take 12 weeks to fix!

I’ll be good and miss 4 weeks of spring rather than most of spring and summer!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tell me NOT to ride my bike!’ is closed to new replies.