Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Tell me about Range Rover Evoque
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I worked at the factory, building a new bit, for a bit. All I know is, the blokes who drive them out the factory, the ones I spoke to, they wouldn’t have one.

fergal
    Free Member

Anything else you should know? well yeah, they are driven by vacuous pretentious arseholes :-).

ampthill

There is one in the car park at work. I’d say the owner was a great person…

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe it was owned by a cyclist who rode everywhere local and only used it on the motorway for longer trips. Yeah right because that is what the majority of us do isn’t it. If there is no way you can say how it’s been used look for another one that you can.

Eh? How can you ever tell how a car’s been used, irrespective of the mileage? I don’t do many miles in mine, about 6k, and very few short journeys, rarely under 25 miles, and nothing urban at all.

prawny

A mate had a RR sport which was a bit of a thirsty beast and not that reliable which he swapped for an Evoque which was better in every way, now he’s got rid of that and got a Kia Sportage (top spec one, he’s not skint) and likes that as much as the Evoque. Haven’t spent much time in either, but for a short ride to Costa when the weather is too crap to ride I’d say the Kia was about as good build and comfort wise. 7 year warranty too.

benz
    Free Member

Fergal, what colour is your one?

😉

Inbred456
    Free Member

Very few people buy a car and only use it to do 1 long commute a week do they. Cyclists may be the exception. In my opinion which is all it is, think that maybe it has been used for lots of short journeys. That is all. If the OP likes it then good luck and I hope it’s a great car. They seem very popular.

Tiger6791

Great product if you’re interested in the economy

One of the UKs most successful exports

ahsat

My Dad is on his second one (he takes them on lease hire) and since I was a kid has had a long line of Land Rover, so yes he probably doesn’t have an unbiased opinion but he absolutely loves it. Now my brother and I have both left home, for them it’s like a very safe retirement sports car which, living in rural Yorkshire, is far more practical than a soft top for the dog, winter etc. Both of Dads RRs are full 4×4 and have performed very well in some pretty heavy snow. The front it a lovely place to be and ideal for the two of them. It was great when Dad was doing long miles for work and it became a semi office. We use it to travel to family in the south, with the four of us at times, and yes the back doesn’t have loads of leg space, but feels roomy in width. It is also a bit of a harsh ride in the back seats. The bit that we find odd, though admittedly Dad won’t hear anything of it, is how tiny the boot is. Once the dog is in (Spaniel), you can only fit a couple of boots and a bag (partly because the dog gets car sick – all cars, not just the RR – so we don’t leave stuff too close to her!). When they go camping they have to drop the back seats and use it as a crew cab. I do find the boot frustratingly small for such a big car. On the 3 year lease he has found them to be pretty reliable. There was an issue with a glass deformity on the panoramic roof of the old one, but RR came to the house with all sorts of scanner etc and sorted it out. The current one was bought with a few miles on clock and I think doing fine.

Yes there is an image becoming asscociated with them, but they are nice cars, so drive what you want if it works for you.

angeldust
    Free Member

We had one get stuck in the snow just near our house a few years ago. Slithered down the hill sideways (past people at the top of the hill warning that is was dodgy but he knew better) before becoming wedged into both banks where the road narrowed. We spun it round and sent him on his way. The two great big dents on the side where my hands were pushing probably didn’t impress him when he got home and always made me wince when it went past me afterwards. Must have been made of cheese.

You could dent the bodywork of pretty much any modern car if you manhandle it stupidly enough, so this is no real specific criticism of the car in question. Well done to you though for sounding so pleased with yourself for damaging his property (even if you had no intention to do so).

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Chopped mine in after 18 months of ownership.

Biggest rattle bucket I’ve ever had. Colleague at work said exactly the same thing and LR rarely gave a crap. “can’t replicate on test drive” but I pickup the car and it starts straight away.

Nice to drive though, as others have mentioned you get to the end of a long drive fresh.

FuzzyWuzzy

Only thing I can’t understand is why there are so many in that crap maroon colour

I think it looks best in that colour, along with the graphite wheels. My main issue with the Evoque is it’s just way over-priced for what you actually get, I know a lot of ‘premium’ brand cars you’re paying a chunk for the badge but the Evoque is ridiculous.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Had one as a courtesy car a couple of times. Better than I thought, although I don’t fit in the sports seats. Inside isn’t as cramped as you would think. Driving one changed my view on them (although it still wouldn’t do for us because we need three boosters across the back).

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s like a good car that a giant has sat on.

convert

You could dent the bodywork of pretty much any modern car if you manhandle it stupidly enough, so this is no real specific criticism of the car in question. Well done to you though for sounding so pleased with yourself for damaging his property (even if you had no intention to do so).

Odd, ‘manhandled’ 3 or 4 other cars in exactly the same way that had also taken on the ‘slope of shame’ and failed. The evoque was the only one that could not handle it. Surely a 4X4 needs to be built to be (mildly) roughly handled should it get stuck?

and always made me wince when it went past me afterwards.

You are quite right, that is definately the comment of a man pleased with himself 🙄

angeldust
    Free Member

Odd, ‘manhandled’ 3 or 4 other cars in exactly the same way that had also taken on the ‘slope of shame’ and failed. The evoque was the only one that could not handle it. Surely a 4X4 needs to be built to be (mildly) roughly handled should it get stuck?

If this is a subtle SUV bash there is no need to be coy. Maybe they ‘should’ be built stronger to better withstand the terrain they could handle, but lets face it, that is clearly beyond the intended use of 99% of 4×4 vehicles on the road. Do you think people spend £40K on an evoque to take it off-road? The evoque has an interior designed by Victoria Beckham ffs!

ampthill

Maybe they ‘should’ be built stronger to better withstand the terrain they could handle, but lets face it, that is clearly beyond the intended use of 99% of 4×4 vehicles on the road. Do you think people spend £40K on an evoque to take it off-road?

So what is the point in them then

jimw
    Free Member

I must be in a minority of one, as I think they are amongst the most unattractive vehicles on the road today, particularly in white.

but then I guess that isn’t a problem if you are sitting inside it for most of the time, rather than looking at the outside

angeldust
    Free Member

So what is the point in them then

Image mostly (especially where the Evoque is concerned). I guess you could also argue the high driving position is advantageous in some situations, as is 4wd on wet/slippery roads, to some extent. Other than that an Evoque doesn’t really do anything more than a focus at half the price. The vast, vast majority of people don’t buy them for the extra functionality, which was my original point. Doesn’t seem to make them less desirable, or less jealousy inducing.

Personally I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole, but I have a few friends (several female, only one male) who own, and really quite like them. None of them expect them to be as tough as a Unimog.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you’d have to be as bold as brass to drive one. Everywhere you go, people will be judging you. I wouldn’t have the self confidence to do it TBH.

Why not just buy a normal car? At least then your friends will still call you Ben; rather than Ben Evoque, Chelsea Tractor Ben, Posh Spice etc.

angeldust
    Free Member

I think you’d have to be as bold as brass to drive one. Everywhere you go, people will be judging you. I wouldn’t have the self confidence to do it TBH.

Why not just buy a normal car? At least then your friends will still call you Ben; rather than Ben Evoque, Chelsea Tractor Ben, Posh Spice etc.

Not particularly proud to say it, but I have to say I’m with you on that. It’s not that it isn’t ‘normal’ so much(I’d happily drive a Tiguan, CX5, or even a Macan, which functionally are very similar), it’s just the girly/wag/housewife image that I wouldn’t want to live with.

It’s a nonsense term, but I’d describe it as a girls car. Same with Mini Countryman, Fiat 500, Nissan Juke, New VW Beetle?

bencooper
    Free Member

We had a summer fair in our local park on Sunday. Hundreds of people there, most walked or cycled, some parked on the road and walked in.

All apart from one person in a white Evoque who drove right into the park, barging people out of the way, and right up to the stalls. She was very offended when I told her to bugger off.

That’s the kind of person who usually drives those things. Do you really want to be that kind of person?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, definitely a girls car. I mean obviously a man can drive it, but they’d have to say “yeh, it’s hers indoors, but I’m having to borrow it as my motor’s down at demon tweeks having a remap and bigger turbo charger fitted.”

takisawa2

Drive what you like, balls to what anyone thinks.

And that’s from someone who hates them. I’ve no other reason than that association with that ghastly Beckham woman. I’ve no doubt they are a very accomplished vehicle, but not my cup of tea; but no way should anyone else’s opinion matter.

Wife’s Sister has had one of those new Tiguan’s, that’s very nice. I’m thinking of getting one, but looking at an estate instead.

angeldust
    Free Member

We had a summer fair in our local park on Sunday. Hundreds of people there, most walked or cycled, some parked on the road and walked in.

All apart from one person in a white Evoque who drove right into the park, barging people out of the way, and right up to the stalls. She was very offended when I told her to bugger off.

That’s the kind of person who usually drives those things. Do you really want to be that kind of person?

I’ve heard someone say something similar about mountain bikers as they once witnessed a tool riding inconsiderately. After that that rightly associated all mountain bikers as being ‘that kind of person’ :lol:.

irc

If it was all about logic and value for money then most of us don’t need more car than a 1.0 Fiesta.

If Mrs Benz likes the Evoque then why not? Mrs IRC wants a Juke for her next car. Only certain colours acceptable. Another car where looks divide opinions and interior space is poor for size of car. If it makes her happy my life is better.

FuzzyWuzzy

That’s the kind of person who usually drives those things

🙄
    If we’re going for sweeping generalisations don’t get me started on the sort of people that use the phrase ‘bugger off’

jekkyl

Don’t forget to get a personalised number plate too to complete the look so everyone knows what a knob you are how unique you are. 😀 😉

blurty

Same dilemma for me. I found the Evoque (& Disco Sport too) imprecise and tiring to drive to be honest. They wandered around a bit – more like a Landrover than an SUV.

I tried the new Jag F Pace, which was better but big on the outside/ small on the inside.

I’m thinking about a Macan now. Too expensive, not British built though.

benz
    Free Member

Lordy, some real stereotyping and haters here.

However, I asked the question and did actually get some limited insights into the vehicle itself. Thanks.

Wonder what the STW massive feel about folks who purchase crew-cab pick-ups but who are not actual trades folks? Or other ‘life-style’ vehicles such as VW Transporters….

tonyg2003

Wonder what the STW massive feel about folks who purchase crew-cab pick-ups but who are not actual trades folks?” 😆

Any SUV does produce quite a reaction on here unless its a Landrover then they seem to be loved. I can see why people like them but they aren’t for me.

With Benz as a user name – have you looked at Mercedes SUV?

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Range Rover Evoque’ is closed to new replies.