Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about heating oil,
  • wolly
    Free Member

Looking at buying a house with oil fired central heating, never used it before any tips/things to look out for?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bunded tanks, and the price of oil… Filling a tank is not cheap, it’s also a big theft risk. Apart from that works like a gas boiler really.

The CH was probably OK but the aga could drink when we had it.

br
    Free Member

We’ve an oil-fired AGA – its a wonderful object for heating/cooking, but bloody expensive to run.

When we need oil (never wait until its empty) I ring the 2 local suppliers and ask their price. And go with whoever is cheapest. Sometimes its as little as 1/2p per litre different, but last week one wanted 57.9ppl while the other was +70ppl (both inc vat).

Ours do the cheaper price once you order +500 litre.

We’ve an electronic meter on the tank, I fill up once its down to 200 litres (1200 litre tank).

wolly
    Free Member

The boiler looks quite new and had a wireless thermostat,and the tank is steel not sure if its bunded

br
    Free Member

The boiler looks quite new and had a wireless thermostat,and the tank is steel not sure if its bunded

If steel probably not, but take a look inside – does it have an inner tank?

If not you just need to build a simple bund around it.

richmars

Time buying for the summer, usually cheaper.
    Work out how the level meter works (unlike me, who let it run down in the middle of winter.)

Cost graph

Bear
    Free Member

No requirement to bund an existing installation.

richmars

But worth checking the state of the tank before filling it.

wolly
    Free Member

How would I check the condition of the tank? And any recommendations for level monitors?

richmars

Steel, look for rust.
    Plastic, check location. if in the sun it could go brittle.

Level monitors work ok in steel tanks, not sure how well in a plastic tank due to the complex shape, it will just give a level, not volume.
    (Unless I’m missing something.)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bear – Member
    No requirement to bund an existing installation.

True but when it springs a leak (of it’s own accord or when thieving scrotes puncture it) you will wish you had. That and it’s good environmental protection.

Bear
    Free Member

Only ever seen one tank ‘go’ suddenly and that was in very dubious condition in the first place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bear – Member
    Only ever seen one tank ‘go’ suddenly and that was in very dubious condition in the first place.

Yep but the latter is more of an issue especially with modern plastic tanks, pop a hole take what you want and leave the rest to seep away. Not saying it happens everywhere but if it is bunded it’s a bonus, if not consider doing it, the tank should be on a good solid surface anyway.
    Also check the taps work properly as that is an issue that can only be resolved when the tank is empty (personal experience) and worth a check of the plumbing for it (gravity vs pump) again some experience of a slack job that promoted airlocks.

br
    Free Member

As far as cost goes, if you’ve only a couple of local suppliers, their best price is your cheapest price…

In February we had to pay +72ppl. 😯

nickdavies

Can’t tell you about the house – but don’t put it in the car. The Danes sell it in fuel stations next to the diesel pumps and they’re both black handled….

Much amusement caused after putting 1/2 a tank of it into the car at 4.30 on a Friday afternoon on the way home when every garage was shut until 9am Monday morning!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about heating oil,’ is closed to new replies.