Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tell me about Derby
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Jobs mean that I may be working down South while the woman remains working in Sheffield. As a compromise we’re looking at Derby as a place to live.

Does anyone live there and can you recommend any nice areas? Not looking for the cheapest (£500-600/month rent) but your money does appear to go quite a long way.

Neccesities are that I must be able to get onto the M1 south fairly easily and she needs to be close to the station (ideally within 1.5 miles) so she can bike to it and then catch the train north.

(also, what’s the riding like from the door?)

Thanks in advance!

LS
    Free Member

Stay in Sheffield!
    How much travelling time will you save by moving to Derby?

orena45

Allestree/Darley Abbey is top of the ladder.
    Littleover, Mickleover, Spondon, Oakwood, Chellaston areas are decent for the most part.
    Chaddesden, Alvaston and Mackworth have some alright bits but also some rough bits.
    Allenton and Normanton generally rough.

Going by what you request above, I’d say look at Nottingham Road area of Chaddesden, Spondon or Alvaston areas. Chellaston’s good for M1 south access.

Derby’s a pretty decent city for cycling in, you can cycle from the edge of town to the centre/train station in 25-30mins. There’s a converted canal path that runs from Chellaston right to the station and all traffic free.

I lived in Oakwood for 4 years until recently. Nice enough though characterless…2 bed semi with decent garden and driveway for £475 a month (though our rent never went up during the 4 years so possibly close to your budget now). Cycled to work in the town centre in 15 mins and some local shops nearby.

Riding wise – good bridleway network to the south of Derby (there’s a regular fast paced XC Monday night ride in that area), lack of network to the north but still some decent cheeky trails.

munrobiker
    Free Member

LS- I’d love to but my commute from Sheffield would be an hour and three quarters! Derby means it’s only an hour.

Stupid job market.

Cheers for your help Orena, I’ll look into them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Derby’ is closed to new replies.