• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tell me about a Cannondale Prophet !!
  • TheDBF
    Free Member

Just been offered one as a swap for my KTM enduro but know nothing about them…

jackal
    Free Member

Erm, they're awesome.
    Light(ish), nice and slack, good handling, take most things you'll chuck at it.
    Bolt thru back end on my prophet mx too, for a little added stiffness.

Some people think thy're ugly tho 😯 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

As my horaesque bike swapping exploits show, the prophet is the best bike i have had. I love it, 18 months together and still happy 🙂

Builds up lightish for enduros, coil shock makes it come alive tho with Stans flow rims, wide bars etc 🙂

ALWAYS run in FR setting – XC is twitch and horrible!

Brown
    Free Member

I miss my MX like I used to miss marmite when I was abroad riding it.

peteimpreza

Recent new owner here and loving it so far.

You will struggle to get a new one* but there was a s/h frame on the classifieds earlier today.

* I was told by my 'Dale dealer that I got the last medium one in Europe.

Can't wait to get it to the Alps in September.

GEDA
    Free Member

Can you put a coil shock on a "normal one" if so and what size forks can the normal ones take?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I regret selling mine. It was ace. Pikes, rp2,pro2s on 719s 🙁

peteimpreza

Yes to the coil, just get the right size. A standard one is designed for a 140mm fork. A coil u-turn pike is a good VFM choice.

Matta
    Free Member

Hateful bike, ugly & over priced 👿

I got given one to ride in spain the thing did nothing but hit rocks!!

parkesie
    Free Member

had mine for something like 6 years awesome fun and super reliable.

walleater

Make sure it doesn't creak. Some have issues with the internals in the swing arm there are no swingarms left. Check for cracks. Mine lasted 15 minutes…. If you get a good one then there's no reason why it wouldn't be a good bike though, and as for hitting rocks, they are low bikes so there is always a trade off.

Rickos
    Free Member

The rear swing arm issues were from like 2004 or something. Careful if you fit a coil shock – it has a regressive rate to allow for the natural progression of an air shock to give a linear feel. By the same token don't be tempted to 'upgrade' to a larger volume shock either.

I've got a black MX from 2006 and it's very good. You can just let it fly down descents, especially if they're nice open tracks like in the Welsh mountains. Recently gave mine a bit of a makeover with 2010 Revs, a new RP23 shock with Boost Valve and some new gears. It's ace.

twang
    Free Member

A friend of mine is selling his. Email in profile (sorry for blatant advert!!)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Matta – Member
    Hateful bike, ugly & over priced

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

What utter shite – nowt to do with inability then?

over priced?? £1400 for a prophet 2 with rp2/pikes/juicy 5s/fsa kit/decent wheels/fizik saddle!!

TheDBF
    Free Member

here is the pic he sent me

What is this model worth approx.

Hairychested
    Free Member

500 quid? Not much in the way of quality bits bolted onto the frame sadly.

jackal
    Free Member

Matta – Member
    Hateful bike, ugly & over priced

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

What utter shite – nowt to do with inability then?

Yep, rider error i'd say.

These really are great bikes, the faster and more you give it the better it gets, it's making me not want to get back out on the dh bike at the minute 🙄

The one above, yeh value around £500 somewhere…

😀

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Ive got a cannondale prophet 1 its amazing, i first started out on a Gary fisher hard tail but since the upgrade it feels so much better, they are good for everything if you live in a hilly area like me, there not heavy and there not too light, amazing for technical climbs and awesome on the downhill also, reliable bike go for it 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Personally, I'd try one before you buy. I'd heard good things about them and came very close to buying one. Until I slung a leg over one – it felt way too short for me. I think I was on a large, and although it would have been fun on the descents, it was too short for all day riding (for me anyway). It was also ugly as sin in the flesh! But very good value.

z1ppy

Thats a prophet 3, not a highly spec'd model & IIRC they sold for around £1000 new, so the £500 region for a complete bike seems about right.
    Though ad's on the classifieds here reckon the frame alone is worth around £400+ (upto £500 with a decent shock or MX frame).
    [Which I've alway thought was a lot for any second hand frame – though they seemingly sell]

I have one and was gutted the other day when I thought it was a right off (BB thread issues – fixed now), not had a bike that I was ever so happy with.

Wouldn't say the XC setting is twitchy, just makes the bike a 5" XC bike, which is a little pointless, but the FR setting is ace and I'd throughly recommend it.
    Makes the setup nicely slack, though still climbs well, but as mentioned does give it a low BB (not the end of the world though)

If you buy it, sell those forks, put some Pike (or Fox 36's if you have the cash) on if you want to come downhill fast, or a Lefty/Revelation's (or Recon's if you skint) for great performance and retain the climbing ability without a weight penalty.

mine
    http://paul2324.fotopic.net/p59310818.html

This is Dusty Lilacs (he's not been around for a while) fantastic paint job:

fotorat
    Free Member

I did 2000 miles on this one commutting mostly off road over 18 months

the only problems I had were nothing to do cannondale:

External bb only lasted 400 miles
    chain broke after 700miles
    brake pads only lasted 900 miles
    front hub, large bearing went all scratchy and itchy at 1800 miles

also I had to swap the leftys spring from red to black with the first few weeks as red was way too soft for my 12 stone!

Also th rear wheel is so far back that a normal crud guard is too short so I had to extend it, also fitting a front guard was a bit of a fiddle

peteimpreza

My local 'Dale dealer has a nice second hand one available at the moment.

Noahs Ark

Doug
    Free Member

Uphill with ETA on.

Downhill after switching it off.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about a Cannondale Prophet !!’ is closed to new replies.