Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tell me about 29/ 650b plus and what it's really like.
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have searched for any threads about this but didn’t turn anything up.

I have an oldish whyte 629 frame and some 29er plus forks from a genesis. I was wondering if this would make for a fun bike for messing around on, and longer mountain xc rides plus a bit of pub biking.

Im unsure if it will work though. I’d probably run something like a 2.4 ardent on the back to keep it biggish, and a fast rolling 2.8 or 3 inch on the front?

What do you guys think? I’m sold on 29 inch wheels and I’m guessing the things people say about 29 plus aren’t true, eg you can’t turn etc…

And does anyone have any pics of something similar??

mboy
    Free Member

As a Whyte 629 owner, you’ll struggle with anything bigger than a 2.25″ in the back in my experience.

Other than that, knock yourself out. Rigid up front with a plus sized tyre will probably work fine considering it’s suspension corrected for a 100mm fork anyway.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Hmm that may be true Mboy. It’s the issue I have with my t129 to be fair.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Or am I being foolish and should just stick a sus fork on it?

grannyjone
    Free Member

The only issue I have with 29ers (apart from the very slight weight increase) is when you have to lift it over a damn gate/fence/style. It’s harder and more awkward than with a smaller bike.

Northwind

I’m a 29er convert, especially for a big bike- my Remedy is a bloody weapon, I love it. (and yes, it does go round corners too)

OTOH I wasn’t impressed by Plus at all. For a rigid bike I can definitely see the reasoning, I’ve been running 2.5 on rigids for years, but on a full suss I just found it pointless. Haven’t had the chance on a hardtail. Already people are pulling back to 2.8 which for me was just a pointless halfway house, and 2.6 seems to be the next thing- at which point, everyone who already has big “normal” tyres will go, welcome to the team

takisawa2

B+ rear, 29+ front here. Love it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about 29/ 650b plus and what it's really like.’ is closed to new replies.