• This topic has 110 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • tattoo: opinions needed
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Do it but get something personal to you – don’t just opt for one from their book. I spent a long time designing mine and not many people know the meanings behind each part of it. I love mine (tatt is almost 2 years old, got it when i was 30). I really want a second one, but have no design inspiration so i’ll wait until i do.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Though going back to the OP’s the question was –

I need cyclists opinions…

As opposed to “I need people who think tats are great opinions…”

It’s the real life equivalent of me going down to an equestrian event for the sole purpose of telling everyone I think they all dress daft and that all horsey type people are weird.

It sounds more like it’s the real life equivalent of asking people what they think of equestrian events to me.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I was pointing out that many two of the people who have already commented have regretted overtime changed their out look on their once loved tattoos and have been forced decided to get larger tattoos to cover them up

FTFY

Since this is a mountain biking forum

This is a mountain biking forum??!! 😯

newbey
    Free Member

@IanMunro, you’re right. The OP did state that he wanted cyclists opinions. The OP then posted a photo of the tattoo on page 1, so from that point on the direction of the thread had veered into tattoo-land (IMO).

I’ve got to say, the best bit of advice I saw in the first few posts was

davidjones15
    Your tattoo, put it where you want. If you’re asking for opinions i think you should wait a bit before having it done.

I didn’t think @alfabus’s comments were the comments of someone who hated tattoos, or anything of the sort. I (like him it seems) thought it quite a pertinent thus why I answered it with my personal tale of getting cover-ups. Choose a bad tattooist, either live with the results, get it covered up, or get it LASERed off. Worth taking on board.

This isn’t my thread, I’m not the thread police, and I’m not particularly bothered if people don’t like my tattoos. They have personal meaning to me, and for that reason it is much more than just the images that I’ve got on my skin.

I find that people come into a thread and say that large-scale tattoos are “gopping” quite amusing, but then remember that being tattood can be akin to being pregnant, in that in the real world people think it’s acceptable to walk up and start touching you and prodding you with no invitation (this comparison I saw in a tattoo magazine editorial). People have no qualms about walking up to me and telling me whether they like my tattoos or not. Good for them I suppose, but if they don’t like it, why tell me? It’s not going to make me regret getting it, it’s not going to make me want to get rid of it, it’s not going to make me feel bad about getting it done. It’s only going to make me wonder why they felt the need to walk up and tell me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but if they don’t like it, why tell me? It’s not going to make me regret getting it, it’s not going to make me want to get rid of it, it’s not going to make me feel bad about getting it done.

Same as when people go up to people who dress differently than the norm such as Goths, Emos, Punks etc and laugh at them, beat them up etc – if you do something, anything, that makes you stand out then you have to expect that some people will react to it.

It’s only going to make me wonder why they felt the need to walk up and tell me.

Probably because, on the flip side, they wonder why you decided to have a tattoo?

voodoo_chile

tattoos ,you have them ,i have them who cares if someone doesnt like them if you dont wanna look at them look away ..tbh i dont care what anyone thinks about mine

IanMunro
    Free Member

People have no qualms about walking up to me and telling me whether they like my tattoos or not. Good for them I suppose, but if they don’t like it, why tell me? It’s not going to make me regret getting it, it’s not going to make me want to get rid of it, it’s not going to make me feel bad about getting it done. It’s only going to make me wonder why they felt the need to walk up and tell me.

Yup, I’ve been quite surprised by this.
    I was chatting to a girl a couple of months back who has some fairly distinctive tattoos. They don’t do anything for me, but it’s not my body. I was amazed though whilst we were talking that someone else felt the need to interject about much they hated to tattoos and that they were ugly and stupid. I pointed out that becoming more ugly wouldn’t be an issue for him and gave him my sternest Paddington Bear hard stare, but it certainly surprised me how free people were to proffer unsolicited opinions on the matter.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

This is the best work I have seen in a long time

passtherizla
    Free Member

Personally I think that would look better on a wall than someones body, not my cuppa at all.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I quite like that one – tattoos that don’t look like tattoos but more like art do look nicer and much more interesting – they ask to be looked at and admired rather than invite people to think – hey, that 40yr old fat bloke from Croydon has a Mauri tattoo.

But that one will look like a muddy puddle in 30 years.

newbey
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion

Probably because, on the flip side, they wonder why you decided to have a tattoo?Then the obvious thing to do would be to ask that in the form of a question, rather than by telling me that they don’t like it.

If someone comes up to me and asks me questions on my tattoos with genuine interest, then I am more likely to answer them with all the information that I can, with no questioning as to their intent, opinions, etc.

If someone comes up to me and gives me their negative opinion (as happened in @IanMunro’s post), and then asks why I’ve got what I’ve got, or anything of that ilk, well that’s not questioning the art, it’s questioning the act and becomes a pointless exercise to discuss.

I’ve had people with tattoos come up to me and discuss my tattoos, some like them, some don’t. That’s fine. It seems some people who have tattoos feel like there is a “group” or “community” of people who have tattoos, but even from this group you can get negative responses if your tattoo isn’t in the same style as they’ve got, or that they like.

Base point, if you walk up to me and start off with “I don’t like (or don’t agree with) tattoos”, unless your next word is “but” then anything you’re going to say is going to be politely listened to by me, and then ignored. That being said, if you want to ask me questions about my tattoos, or choice of tattoos then feel free to. I’m going to be in the pub from 3 this afternoon (work, unfortunately) so come on in, have a pint and ask away.

yunki
    Free Member

have you got a link to the artist tangoman…?

I like that.. I like seeing any artform getting pushed in a new direction..

Tradition has a time and place but progression is most definitely is where life’s at for me..

newbey
    Free Member

@yunki, I can’t place that particular one, but if you do like that style of tattooing then a couple of good places to look areSake Tattoo Crew and The Buena Vista Tattoo club (check out the realistic_trash_polka link). They win awards and pretty much any expo they go to.

jpmcstay
    Free Member

Do it. I’m covered in them – all japanese stuff, got my calf done too; least painful place I’ve had tattooed.

Whether or not I’ve got them isn’t the point though is it? You can’t just *not* do stuff all your life – step into the abyss…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Then the obvious thing to do would be to ask that in the form of a question, rather than by telling me that they don’t like it.

That’s just some people isn’t it – the same as some people’s reaction to Emos and Goths that I mentioned in the same post. You can’t expect everyone to behave in the same way you would behave, no matter how rude you think they are – it’s just them.

newbey
    Free Member

@mastiles_fanylion, I suppose so, you have to accept the human factor into this i guess. That’s a fair point.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You can’t just *not* do stuff all your life – step into the abyss…

Next up Morris Dancing 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s a fair point.

Dont say that, you’ll break the internet. 😉

For me – I couldn’t imagine ever going up to someone and telling them that their tattoos were gopping. Well not since I told that skinhead that the ‘F*CK’ and ‘OFF’ tattooed on his eyelids were gopping anyway. 12 weeks in traction gives you plenty of thinking time.

😀

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Yunki,

Have a look here mate Linky and here more stuff

Been a while since I saw a tattoo that blew me away, this one did it

Sandor Pongor

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Sometimes I think about getting a tattoo, but then

🙁

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

I have one smallish tattoo on my arm, took me 33 years to get round to it. Planning on having another soon. Mine arn’t visible until I remove my top thou. I like the art of good tattoos, but personally draw the line at neck and head.

What amazes me is how people feel they can judge you as you have a tattoo, and the old “just think what it will look like when your 70”. You just have to look down the street to see most of the population are over weight and would look pretty shocking naked now, not to mention at 70. If that’s the only regret I have in life at 70, then I’ll be a happy man.

It’s certainly seems to cause debate…

rbrstr
    Free Member

Though going back to the OP’s the question was –

I need cyclists opinions…

Jeez,what have i started here?!
    ive been thinking about having this tattoo for years, hitting 40 was just an excuse to finally do it. although i am happy in my own mind,no doubts at all about getting it done, if 90% of the STW massive said dont have it on your leg you’ll look a right tw*t then you’d have to be a bit arrogant to ignore that even though its obviously my decision

Ive got an award winning tattooist, with nearly 30 years experience doing the tattoo, plus ive seen his work first hand on some work mates, what can go wrong? lol

yunki
    Free Member

LardLover
    Free Member

R.I.P. Pegswood Smurf

wwaswas

yunki but tattooed people seem to care that non-tattooed people care?

My 2p for tattoos;

Non visible when wearing ‘normal clotthes’ ones are like having a terraced house and doing interesting things to the inside of it – people can see what your taste is if you invite them to but it’s done mainly for your pleasure and enjoyment.

Face/neck/hand type ones are this;

it’s all a bit ‘I’m mad me!’ for me to believe it’s only about what they want.

yunki
    Free Member

it’s all a bit ‘I’m mad me!’ for me to believe it’s only about what they want.

erm.. why can’t folk have tattoos that are trying to portray a bit of ‘I’m mad me’..?

surely the very act of permanently marking yourself for all to see is an expression of that anyway at it’s basest level..

I know a lot of ‘straight’ logical types are into getting tat’s these days too for any number of well thought out reasons that you find sensible and proper and easy to want to believe..
    but what about the good old impulsive slightly wild and capricious types that are driven by other motives.. are they not allowed to carry a mark that is intended to remind people that their life experience and value system is not the same as yours..?
    is there no place in this neat and tidy society for the good old **** You tattoo..? or the drunk tattoo..? or the I was young, dumb and full of cum and thought it would make me look tough tattoo..?

nick3216
    Free Member

Ive got an award winning tattooist, with nearly 30 years experience doing the tattoo, plus ive seen his work first hand on some work mates, what can go wrong?

good on you. JFDI.

Was discussing my fourth with a potential tattooist on Friday, and thinking ahead to my fifth.

Olly
    Free Member

my alternative “chainring body mod”

IanMunro
    Free Member

ouch!

Olly
    Free Member

everytime i consider a tatt, i end up with a scar. so have given up for now. do like the idea though…

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘tattoo: opinions needed’ is closed to new replies.