• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jond.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tappety VW 2.0tdi 140 engine when cold
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Recently acquired the vehicle, noticed a tappety noise from the engine when cold which goes once warmed up. It’s done 14k miles and still under warranty so next week I’ll call to book in to get it looked at. Also probably a service as I’m a bit suspicious of the longlife 20k miles/2 year intervals they recommend, would rather get oil/filter changed annually for peace of mind.
    In anticipation of what VW garage might say, anyone else had this noise, is it normal/curable? Cheers

jimbobo
    Free Member

Normal, they’re a bit rough when cold. Regular servicing is smart though, 20k is quite a lot!

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a piece of foam insulation under the engine cover that makes it sound slightly more metallic and clicky. Otherwise, they are quite noisy in general at idle.

EDIT just realised you are taking about a new car not an old one. Ignore that.

Re the service intervals – long life service is variable and governed by measuring oil temp and engine load, so if you do lots of long motorway miles it approaches 18k miles before it reminds you. Lots of town or aggressive driving and it will be much less than 10k miles. It needs special oil too for this.

You can switch the service reminders back to annual and 10k miles of you want.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, not sure of past life driving as only just got it but some long trips planned for this summer so may as well get it serviced sooner rather than later, it came with 2 services included as part of the deal as an approved used vehicle from main dealer, cheers

jond
    Free Member

Anecdote..make your own mind up.
    My OH had her A4 avant (diesel) from new as a company car in 2002, bought it when she left the company (120k), and we sold it in 2015 (220ishk)

At 220-odd thousand miles it was still running perfectly, but the driver side of the heater matrix made it expensive to repair – if I hadn’t bought a caddy the previous year id have taken it over myself and worn a warmer coat!

Always on longlife servicing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tappety VW 2.0tdi 140 engine when cold’ is closed to new replies.