Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tandem for under a grand?
  • slowrider
    Free Member

Been looking around for a tandem for me and my lad. He can’t rode a bike on his own as he has cerebral palsy but we tried a tandem out today and it was great!

From what I’ve found they seem to jump from a basic less-than-offroad version up to a two grand one with absolutely nothing in between. I guess I could get a basic one and upgrade a few bits but just wanted to see what else is out there first.

Any suggestions?

Garry_Lager

How bad are the basic ones? I was just looking on gumtree (for me missus’ stolen bike :() and saw this one:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/rare-mountain-bike-tandem-fun-offroad-cycling-for-two/86205348

Surely something like that wouldn’t be a complete PoS? Wouldn’t have thought there would be a market for really bottom end tandem bikes.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

We had a gorgeous Orbit Andromeda full suspension tandem that was stolen. The insurance payout wasn’t enough to replace it so we settled on a Reflex Timberline upgraded with proper saddles, decent tyres and Rockshox Toras, all in it was about £550 and very capable, albeit only suitable for shorter couples being a 17″/15″ frame.

slowrider
    Free Member

Interesting, what do you reckon to the reflex? Geometry ok? 15″ is great for my lad and I’ll put up with a 17″. I’m thinking something like this or even the raleigh one for a bit more might be best for now as at the rate he is growing he will no doubt need something bigger in a couple of years!

Coleman
    Free Member

A few here. Quite fancy the Schwinn but imagine it’s no lightweight.
    http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/section.php/4844/1/tandems

Beagleboy

I’ve got a Raleigh Pioneer +1 tandem, which has done us proud for the last four or five years. In its original guise it sported Quad cable disc brakes, SRAM 5 transmission and a rigid fork all for £500. I upgraded the brakes and the fork from my spares box and it’s been a brilliant bike! I’m not sure how much it goes for now, or the spec, but it still might be worth considering as a budget intro to tandems.

trb
    Free Member

We have a Dawes double edge. 19/17″

It’s a good entry level, easy offroad job with lots of potential to upgrade if required.

It’s done 4 month tours with me & the missus and currently has kiddie cranks for 4 yr old little trb #1 & a rear seat for 18 month old little trb #2.

RRP £1300, so you’ll get one on-line old stock or second hand for less.

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-156-double-edge.aspx

Edit : The discovery twin is the same frame, lower spec for exactly a grand

nbt

As you know I went through this about 18 months or so ago – here’s my original thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-tandems

Borrow one first to make sure you;re both okay with it – it’s not like riding a “normal” bike. In your case you’re borrowing mine, but in general, I’d advise making sure you are ok with it.

nbt

Ours is a double edge, rigid forks are ok on easy stuff but big bouncy forks transformed our riding, suddenly as captain I cold see where I was going and follow a course fairly well…

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

weve got a well looked after 2nd hand one dawes galaxy twin for £900…that were selling for a good customer

slowrider
    Free Member

Cheers jules, tried one out today and it went far better than I’d expected. His recent op has balanced his weight distribution much more evenly and he took to it like a natural.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I’ve ordered a Viking serengeti, just over £500 for an alloy frame, disc brakes, basic spec and rigid forks. I’ll upgrade the forks to some boingy ones pretty soon, fit some proper tyres and possibly change the ez fire shifters cos they do my head in!

nbt

wow that’s quick! glad you liked it – hadn;t read your post properly and didn’t realise at first that you’d already tried one out! Fingers crossed it really help bring him out and you both get loads of enjoyment from it!

slowrider
    Free Member

Yeah, I knew that if he could ride one we would go for it. I thought shopping around woud take longer but there really isn’t much to choose from. Got the last one at a good price so I’m happy.

Bunnyhop

Brilliant news slowrider.
    Now how fast will you be going? 🙂

We really must sort out a STW tandem fest.

slowrider
    Free Member

lol Jane, he likes to slack off on the climbs and pedal on the descents, im so proud!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tandem for under a grand?’ is closed to new replies.