Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Talk to me about Chamonix…….
  • jonke
    Free Member

Anyone been there? Any good?

Previously been to les arc which i loved, but have the opportunity for a 3 day weekend and to maximise our time, Chamonix looks a little closer also something new to try.

We will be heading over 1st-4th september – looking at various websites looks as though the majority of lifts will still be running. Anyone confirm this?

Would be nice to have some nightlife too. Is there much going on in the evenings this late in the summer?

Any other suggestion for destinations? Key criteria:
    – lift assisted
    – not just full on downhill – we will have trail bikes
    – close as possible to the chunnel
    – have camping or cheap accomodation – we will have a campervan
    – good nightlife
    – moon on a stick would be nice too

asbrooks

As Chamonix is a town in it’s right, most places will be open all year round. I’ve only ever been there in the winter, but people I know who are based there say it’s far busier in the Summer than in the winter as it markets itself as being a mountaineers paradise so you’ll be fine.

As for night life, there’s something for everyone. The Chamber neuf was the place to be when I was last there.

hora
    Free Member

Pricewise how does if compare for apartment rent/self catering accommodation in summer?

asbrooks

It’s likely to be more pricey. The French school holidays are long, my niece and nephew finish mid June and don’t return till September. As with the tourist industry in the UK, the French are also fleeced during the school holidays.

sharkattack

This is the best campsite but book ahead if you can- LINK

It can get busy but it’s very scenic and walking distance from town. Also has a local supermarket, bakery and pizza shop which helps you avoid spending money in town. Prices are way above average.

Lots of trail riding but we just pedalled around aimlessly so can’t really give you directions.

Not much lift assisted riding but Pila is just the other side of the Mt. Blanc tunnel.

Grump
    Free Member

You’ll be heading over at the best time of year, the ultra trail finishes the weekend before and town empties, the trails are quiet and all legal again and all but 1 of the bike friendly lifts are open. You should go!
    For trail ideas check the usual 2 links, the chamonix bike book and chamonixbikeblog
    The bight life won’t be the same as it is the week before, and certainly nowhere near the height of winter, but most bars and cafes are still open so you should be fine, def more lively than any of the other choices near by which close up shop at the end of August.
    Pila, Verbier and bits of the PDS are all less than 1hr away and will still be open at start Sept too.

asbrooks

The great thing about Chamonix, is the area it covers. If list assist is limited, you may want to go up to Argentiere or La Tour. I rememeber you don’t require a lift to get off the mountain.
    Argentiere is connected by train, so it’s easy to get to. I can’t say how the climb up on a bike would be. I have hiked when the lower lift station was closed.
    If you’re trying to do it economically, camp. There are many camp sites around Chamonix area.
    On the plus side, the lift pass was cheaper in the summer than it was in the winter. At least it was 10 years ago.. I can’t believe it’s been that long ago! 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Chamonix…….’ is closed to new replies.