• This topic has 59 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Talk me out of buying an Apple Laptop
  • wool

As per heading just need somthing to deal with loads of photos,ITunes and all the apple devices in the house
    Windows based laptops are so much cheaper.
    Help

moose
    Free Member

Nope. I love mine. Do it, do it now.

footflaps

Nothing comes close, just buy it.

allthepies
    Free Member

They’re overpriced fashion accessories bought by vain wannabees.

Any good ?

madhouse

I have a windows laptop – I want an apple one, software works, fantastic battery life ………..

Not sure I’m helping!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Posting from my macbook, quirky t start with after years of windows use but bloody good…..

richen987
    Free Member

Moved from Windows to Mac just over a year ago, no complaints, would never go back.
    Disclaimer – I own no other apple products and would never have am iPhone over android.
    Mac plays brilliantly with everything on house, sonos and Android and chromecast, better than my windows laptop ever did.
    Other than the price there is no reason not too.

tomhoward

Di2 doesnt play with Mac OS, yet.

That’s it, really.

wool

Ok I get the message Apple it is. John Lewis or Apple Store?

moose
    Free Member

Apple store, there’s very little difference in price I think. It’s registered to you there and then with zero faff.

zippykona

I’ve owned mine for a couple of years and it still baffles me.
    To take a screen shot I have to google how to do it. It says press this ,that and shift key. WTF is the shift key?
    So I have to google that.
    Why not just right click and choose an option?
    I wish the man who invented the iPad would wave his clever wand over the laptops.
    Also what’s the deal with Photo, iPhoto and pictures? Why not just have one?
    I’m not a computer person and even looking stuff up frazzles my mind.
    There’s too much willy waving by computer people. Just make it so normal can use it without needing a **** degree in Star Trek.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Currys for me.

bonchance
    Free Member

I’m glad it’s not just me that finds the above… 🙂

but the pro notebooks don’t seem to have obvious rivals – provided you can afford it..

prettygreenparrot

No. The retina MacBook Pros are ideal machines.

Get as much RAM and storage as you can afford though. Well, depending on your file sizes.

Check out Mac Rumors Buyer’s Guide and consider delaying purchase until the release of El Capitan as it’s possible Apple might release revised machines to go with it.

If you don’t get a discount through where you work (worth checking), or through being in education then John Lewis. The price will be the same as the Apple Store. You’ll get the John Lewis 3 year guarantee in addition to Apple’s very good general care, your statutory rights, and the additional protection you’ll get when you buy using a credit card.

shermer75
    Free Member

Having had both several times over I’m afraid the only downside to an Apple is the price.

k-sugden
    Free Member

John Lewis are offering a free 3 year guarantee at the mo so i would go with them.

prettygreenparrot

@zippykona keyboard shortcuts are so neat though. I still remember the days with wired keyboards that had numeric pads at the right side for data entry. alt + ascii code would produce those hard to get symbols.

On the mac shift + command + 3 takes a screenshot. shift + command + 4 lets you select what you want to capture.

nickjb
    Free Member

the only downside to an Apple is the price

yep. Both work fine, one is cheaper.

bikebouy
    Free Member

C’mon, Apple, Mac’s. Pads, Phones… shirley all end up with this…

I’m a fanbouy, MacAir … here.. It’s most excellent.

zippykona

On the mac shift + command + 3 takes a screenshot. shift + command + 4 lets you select what you want to capture.

Would it really be so difficult to write SHIFT on the shift button?
    I don’t use a computer for a hobby, I really don’t give a shit what stuff it has inside , I just want it to do stuff.
    A computer is just the same as a fridge. I don’t care what gas it uses for coolant. I just want it to keep my food cold.

Drac

Curry’s are offering 10% cashback on MacBook so worth asking John Lewis to price match

prettygreenparrot

@zippykona ah, does yours have ?(up arrow) on it? The traditional shift symbol. My current machine has ‘shift’ written on it (2015 model).

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I have a MacBook Pro, bought in 2006 and still going. It’s a bit slow when running Photoshop/Illustrator or CAD packages, so it’s getting replaced soon, but it could still do a job for most people, which is pretty impressive for a nearly 9 year old laptop.

EDIT: Its had one replacement battery in that time.

bencooper
    Free Member

Last Apple laptop I had, a small circuit board failed (the separate power board) – just outside warranty, so Apple wanted £650 to fix it.

Sold it as broken on eBay, got a ridiculous amount of money for it, bought a Windows laptop with the profit.

zippykona

My gripes are probably aimed at all computers.I’ve spent 2 days trying to get a picture onto a poster.
    One of our ladies in the shop used to do IT for Sotherbys and she can’t work out how to do it!
    Is there a handy print out for these short cuts and some sort of keyboard map?

br
    Free Member

I have a windows laptop – I want an apple one, software works, fantastic battery life ………..

Maybe you should’ve bought a better Windows one, at half the price of an Apple laptop?

the-muffin-man

If you don’t know which is the SHIFT button on a keyboard should you be using a computer!? 😀

Do you get in a car and wonder how to drive it because the steering wheel doesn’t have ‘STEERING WHEEL’ written on it.

martymac

as a long time windows user, ive recently converted to an imac, had it for 2 months now.
    i can honestly say, none of the windows machines ive used have worked this well, even when new.
    admittedly, none of the windows machines ive used cost as much to buy.
    i wont go back.
    still have an android phone that i use as a pure music device in the car, and an android tablet which now hardly gets used.
    im not saying apple is perfect, but it is better imo.

FuzzyWuzzy

If I had the money to not only afford one but not care that I’d be paying over the odds for what I’m getting I’d probably get a MacBook Pro myself, in the meantime I can manage perfectly fine with my Windows laptop and desktop

zippykona

If you don’t know which is the SHIFT button on a keyboard should you be using a computer!?

You are probably right!
    No one taught me how to use an Ipad I just figured it out.
    I assumed an apple laptop would be the same. It certainly isn’t.

surfer
    Free Member

Nice pieces of kit, well built and extremely desirable. I understand they are reliable and most people claim to still be running theirs for years.

They are overpriced and overrated. I dont have an axe to grind I would have one tomorrow over the laptop I am writing this on however I wouldn’t pay 3 times the price.

If you are flush with cash and like shiny things then go ahead. Dont expect it to perform any better than a good Windows laptop, just different. and if you Google “apple mac problems” you will get 43 million hits so just like Windows you will experience software problems. You pays your money and makes your choice.

edhornby

I really don’t see the point in spending double and getting the same functionality of everything else… the APIs are pointedly bad as a tactic to encourage selling (i.e. you’re being fooled into overspend on an apple laptop because itunes doesn’t work properly on non-apple kit..)

(FWIW I’ve had both)

SaxonRider

allthepies – Member
    They’re overpriced fashion accessories bought by vain wannabees.

Any good ?

This.

I was a Mac user before it was cool, and to this day the main family computer is an iMac. In fact, I am writing this on a work-supplied iPad, and my iPhone 5 is in my pocket, so I am still immersed in the Apple world.

That said, I would never ever spend money of my own on a Apple product again. I mean, they’re flipping TOOLS, not lifestyle accessories. If a person’s life is improved by having a Mac, then they must not have had much of a life the first place.

I would get the cheapest thing that does the job you need doing and say to hell with the brand.

STATO
    Free Member

I don’t use a computer for a hobby

My current work laptop has Shift written on the keyboard, it even has backspace and return written on those keys! I dont think ive ever seen it written down since my old 486 keyboard. All my previous personal and work laptops and keyboards have never had anything other than the symbols.

trailmonkey

definitely go for the mac.

i know they cost 2 or 3 times the price of a pc but the improvements to your facebooking will be life changing.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

iPad keyboards don’t have “Shift” written on the shift button, yet…

No one taught me how to use an Ipad I just figured it out.

🙂

Back to the OP, if you are already absorbed in Apple infrastructure with iPads and iPhones there is a definite advantage in getting a Macbook too. A lot of what Apple do now is based around the user experience of having multiple devices with shared content.

That said, Apple make fabulous hardware but they are far from leaders when it comes to software. Their very intentional move to the consumer rather than pro market over the years has resulted in dumbed down software. It obviously suits people since they’re hugely successful, but anyone who claims it all works perfectly 100% of the time and without frustration is either very lucky, not using it beyond the very very basics or deluded 🙂

Nothing wrong with wanting something because it looks nice, even at a significant premium. Just be sure it does what you want by giving it a trial run.

doris5000

I would get the cheapest thing that does the job you need doing and say to hell with the brand.

careful! don’t say that kind of thing on a STW car thread. or a watch thread. or… 😉

personally i’m a macbook user. i wouldn’t call myself a fanbuoy, but i do think it’s worth an extra £50 a year over the cost of a PC to never have to digest and act upon a sentence like this (from the Windows thread) :

You might find there’s some form of ACPI / power management driver for it. Check with the PC / motherboard / chipset manufacturers. BIOS update might not hurt either.

And anyway – YMMV, but when i first switched to Mac around 2007 i discovered that if i placed any kind of monetary value on my time, the time savings in technical issues (i’m not a mega techy person) actually meant the Macbook worked out cheaper. So as I was self employed at the time, it was well worth it…

mrchrispy

Hardware refresh due in chrispy towers.
    always had self build windows desktops but going macbookpro this time as they are so preddy and shiny. the plan is to tap up a mate and get the full educational discount

Rockplough
    Free Member

Quite literally overpriced PCs in pretty cases. Just as well, as like many already do, you might end up running Windows on them anyway for compatibility or reliability reasons.

batousan
    Free Member

What sold me on a mac?

When I leave the office at 5pm I know I won’t have to use Windows until 9am the next morning. Sheer bliss :mrgreen:

That and I look like a complete boss sat in the local artisan coffee shop…. (jk). 😆

Seriously, I do not for a second regret switching from PC to Mac back in 2011. It just works, no faff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Talk me out of buying an Apple Laptop’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM