Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Taking a low paid job.
  • tails
    Free Member

I've been out of work for near on 2 months now, even in boom there are not to many jobs in my field. So far I've applied for one specific job and a couple of related ones.

The other day I had an interview for one of them, went good enough seems like a fun environment but the pay is very poor, which is putting me off some what. The interviewer also had concerns I would use it as a stop gap there is some truth there.

So should I be offered this job, should I take it then drop them when a better offer arrives, this is not in my nature I prefer to be honest but its not as if an employer would give two hoots about laying off staff.

Option two carry on, on the dole looking for work that isn't there getting frustrated that I'm trying to follow my interests when I should have just got a job in IT like everyone else.

I could do an unpaid internship usually last 3 months maybe a job would come from it maybe not, you can't claim the dole when doing this.

I'm a little bit lost and frustrated right now, as I want to work but trained to earn more than a little.

Surfr
    Free Member

You have to think about number 1. As you say, if the boot was on the other foot, they'd drop you in a flash. It's not very nice but you have to come to terms with it. Don't feel too guilty about it 🙂

EDIT: So take it and move on as required. Good luck BTW 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

What sort of job do you want?

tankslapper
    Free Member

What sufr said

But also wait for the job offer to come through and be honest with them. Put your cards on the table, as they probably already know you were on better pay simply put it to them that you would be prepared to accept the job and stick with them if they could move a bit on the pay.

If they get sticky, knowing they're already getting a bargain, then perhaps move on. If not then you know they value you and your potential contribution to the organisation and want to keep you.

TS

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Most people move on if they get a better job offer… its what most employers would expect if they were reasonable. Either that or offer you something nice to get you to stay.

tails
    Free Member

Don't feel too guilty about it

thats the problem I would feel guilty, still that is I believe how I need to think.

What sort of job do you want?

rather not say in case said interviewer is a cyclist.

tails
    Free Member

yeah that sounds very true midnighthour, right I know what to do. 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did they ask for a minimum commitment? I would feel obliged to stay for the amount of time they asked me for unless the job was not as described. Take it – better than the dole

allthepies
    Free Member

>I could do an unpaid internship usually last 3 months maybe a job would come from it maybe not, you can't claim the dole when doing this.

It seems like this is getting more and more popular currently, what a p*ss take!

tails
    Free Member

Did they ask for a minimum commitment?

kind of they wanted to know if I could work through xmas period.

yeah allthepies it is major piss take especially as it is uni leavers in debt who normally suck up and take it, luckily I have a few grand together so could handle it for a while but if no job opportunities arose from it I'd be a bit miffed.

saladdodger
    Free Member

If it pays more than the jobseekers allowance you would be a fool not to take it

jeff

Take it and keep looking

lordmerchant09
    Free Member

kind of in the same boat as you, I have not been happy with my work for quite a while, and was offered a job recently in a supermarket – Which has almost halved my hourly rate! I decided to take this job and try to get myself back to college – I felt very guilty as it has left my employer in the lurch somewhat, but at the end of the day I have had to act in my best interests and not theirs. GO FOR IT.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tails – to work thru the Christmas period is not an unreasonable request? Only 3 or 4 months

TheSpeedySnail
    Free Member

In my opinion, any job is better than no job, primarily, because it increases your chances of getting a better job. Why do I say this? Well:
    1. it shows you can show-up on time (hopefully)
    2. are manageable (hopefully)
    3. you have skills other employers want
    4. gives YOU experience

Also, if the organisation is in a field you are interested in, then you'll be in a better placed to apply for any internal job vacancies (its expensive and time consuming to recruit externally)AND, if they like you, then they may offer more pay. If they are not in a field of interest, then you'll still develop experience/experience that may help you get another job.

Good luck tails

tyger
    Free Member

I've just taken a cut in salary with my new job but it sure fells better than no job at all. Also, because of the current situation pay levels are falling everywhere – except in banking and politics it seems.

tails
    Free Member

yeah sure TJ it's not long away as is is winter 🙁 it was more of a are you available over that period than we expect you to stay here that long.

as you say snail it does offer possibly a better career but i don't wanna look back when i'm 40 or 50 with what if's. I think I'd take it if offered and continue my search.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I went from earning four figs' a week to minimum wage part time job in a shop after a dramatic fall from grace prompted a change in career
    I can assure you any job is better than no job, and yes you may grow resentfull as you get your feet under the table and start to remember you were paid more elsewhere for the same job, but this is the point at which you count your blessings but also start looking for another job. Your commnet is spot on
    if the boot was on the other foot, they'd drop you in a flash

thomthumb
    Free Member

I could do an unpaid internship usually last 3 months maybe a job would come from it maybe not, you can't claim the dole when doing this.

are you 100% about that? I was under the impression it counted as volunteer work.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

If i was a prospective employer i would be a darned sight more impressed with someone sat in front of me who had 'kept himself busy' working at tescos or mcdonalds than someone with a 6-12mths gap in their employment history.

Just something to consider when you find that you are up against loads of other applicants with same qualifications and experience. I would chose the guy who had made the effort to keep busy even if it was only a few pence more than the dole

tails
    Free Member

yeah pretty sure as thomthumb as you have to be 'available to work' which in there eyes you aren't if your doing free work. Well if its offered i'll take it and see from there.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I've never had an employer who wasn't out to get all they could from me, seems to employ folk you have to have an absence of morality, compassion or empathy. Greed appears to be their primary motivator in every case. hmpf!

tails
    Free Member

Greed appears to be their primary motivator in every case.

it seems so MrNutt, perhaps i can make a career as a bastion against greed. 💡

jj55

Take it ……….!

Employers look more favourably on employing those who are already in work, than those who are unemployed. Sad, but true.

If the wages are low you may be entitled to 'in work' benefits which can top up your wages, you can check +here+to see if you are entitled.
    +Some+ internships are 'permissable' voluntary work, particulary if they are under 16 hours a week. Book an appointment with an adviser at your local jobcentre and take the full details in, they will then check it out for you & give you an answer.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

There no such thing as a bad job. Take it and keep looking.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

For all you young lads who say they feel guilty leaving their employer in the lurch….Don't They will drop you without a moments hesitation if it suits them. Trust me on this one, I have sat through 40 redundancies in the last 4 months and some of those lads had been with us for years. Do what you think is right….the company will survive without you.

tails
    Free Member

thanks for your helpful replies people, and thanks for the links jj55 I had heard about some of these but my job centre is very busy at the mo and just seem to want to get you in and out, but I shall ask

jj55

tails – best approach is to phone ur jobcentre & pre-book an appointment with an Adviser. The person you see every fortnight when you sign only has about 6 minutes to see each customer, if you pre book an appointment the Adviser can give you a lot more time.

winstonsmith

you could also try asking a cab or other advice agency their thoughts on whether you should be allowed to do the internship. sadly jobcentre staff aren't always that well trained or knowledgeable

Steve-P
    Free Member

Better to find a job within a job imo – and you never know where it will lead & who you will meet. Plus you'll feel better working (if you are like me) than not working. I got made redundant early June (after 9 years), and like you am in a fairly specialized sector. I have made the decision to try freelancing…and it seems to be picking up out there.. still scary though.

Also a few of my cycling buddies have been binned this year and are taking lower paid roles. Better for self esteem, sanity and paying the bills.

s.

tails
    Free Member

So just been called and they offered me the job I kinda took it and was asked to start on monday but I have to go see the nurse on monday to get my head dressing changed. Thing is I have seen one job I can definitely do and another I could be up to speed with in 2 weeks. Both would pay more, I mean the wage £5.50 an hour 'jesus h' i'm worth more than that, I want to work but at that rate would take me a day to buy a tyre. Think I'm going to have to call on monday to say no, but then if I don't get either job, I'm back at square one. Already feeling guilty for saying yes, despite all the advice above. think a big dose of MTFU in order. 😡

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation about 5 years ago, got laid-off and couldn;t find much else about (came out of the telecoms bust caused by marconi going down the pan), looked for a couple of months then took a job going back to my C&E routes, rubbish pay – but it was a job. When they interviewed me they even said the pay was low and the turnover of staff was high because of it.

After 2 months I got another Engineerning Job and walked away – the former employers then tried to claim back wages from me as I didn't work my notice period – they told me to leave when I handed in my resignation!

Subsequently the company I went to, went down the pan and I was jobless agaain within 12 months!! To pay the bills I turned to credit brokering after doing a couple of courses they paid for – the boss of the company knew I was only there until another engineering role turned up and didn't care about it.

Basically go for it; it'll pay the bills, keep your self esteem up, not leave any nasty long gaps on your CV, and it's always easier to get a job when you've got one already

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Taking a low paid job.’ is closed to new replies.