Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tactical Nuclear Penguin – STRONG beer – anyone tried it?!?
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Wonder if it's actually any good? 32% strength beer… I've tried some 15% Belgian stuff that was really tasty (came in a test tube and holder!).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Strongest I've had was this stuff;

18% and utterly, utterly delicious. Does for beer what Port does for wine, if you get what I mean.

Will be getting a bottle of the Penguin, I think.

MrNutt
    Free Member

sounds rank, that said met a girl who drank larger and coke last night!

charlierevell
    Free Member

£39 a bottle? Yikes!!!!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i've had Brew Dog's Tokyo at 18%. A tasty drop. I will have to try a Penguin at some point.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

imagine what a bottle would cost if they bought in their minimum pricing plans 😯

only the SNP could propose a plan to cut alcohol problems that excludes bucky 😆

psychle
    Free Member

that's rather expensive… and they've sold out of their first batch (largely thanks to the BBC/general media coverage I'd suspect, gotta love free advertising 😆 ) wonder how many bottles that was?

Drac

£39 a bottle? Yikes!!!!

£30 which is way better. 😕

GrahamA
    Free Member

Mr Watt added that a beer such as Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be drunk in "spirit sized measures"

If this is the case why does it have a crown cap and not a screw top?

More importantly hoe does the yeast survive at that concentration of alcohol?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hoe does the yeast survive at that concentration of alcohol?

Because it's got hoe's in different area codes?

On a more serious note, you can get yeasts to 'brew' spirits, so I imagine its just those with a lot of barley.

Kuco

'Tactical Nuclear Penguin' kick ass name for the next generation of cruise missile.

speaker2animals

Spirits are distiller not brewed. The brew for whiskey say is probably something like 5 to 10% I would imagine.

When I was told about TNP this AM I said – are they addins spirit as most beer yeasts I know of die off at around 8%ish.

What Brew Dog have done is brew a stout to about 5.5%, matured it for 15 months in whiskey casks and then (the clever bit) frozen the beer in the local ice cream factory. This freezes a large proportion of the water, the ever strengthening brew is then tapped off to a fresh vessel and refrozen. Eventually they got to 32%. so while they haven't "added" a spirit or "distlled" their brew they have removed water to increae the ABV.

My understanding is that this was one of the ways that vodka/schnapps type drinks came about. Wines or beers left out in the snow in northern countries or mountains, would part freeze. The locals drank the liquid part and found it was much stronger tasting and got them smashed quicker than the wine did in the summer months

thus endeth the lecture.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope, you can brew stronger, i'm not saying it'll taste nice, but strong brews are possible with different yeasts

theotherjonv

I used to work with a master brewer who reckoned that using typical beer yeasts, the highest you could get would be around the 20% mark. He'd managed 18% by traditional methods (and it was drinkable but not really my thing)

I read somewhere though that this had used a champagne yeast which might explain why. But then again, some sort of concentration process might also have been used.

Kuco

Dammit someone's beat me to it the Penguin missile 😥

kiwijohn

No yeast could survive that alcohol concentration. 18% to 20% absolute max. Wine ferments risk getting stuck at 15%
    We freeze concentrate riesling juice before ferment to make ice riesling. Hadn't thought about doing it after ferment like they're doing with beer.

Drac

If this is the case why does it have a crown cap and not a screw top?

You put the top back on a bottle of spirits?

kennyp
    Free Member

imagine what a bottle would cost if they bought in their minimum pricing plans

Err…..it would cost exactly the same surely?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Not sure how they can get away with calling it a beer at that %achohol. Afaik (when I used to work in the brewing industry), above a certain % it had to be called a "barley wine".
    And certainly to get to that % you would have to use processes other than just fermentation ie distilling, fortifying, etc

It all seems rather gimmicky.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tactical Nuclear Penguin – STRONG beer – anyone tried it?!?’ is closed to new replies.