Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Swiss efficiency ???
  • grynch
    Free Member

I just had to share this … everyone has heard about the legendary Swiss efficiency but this just stunned me…

My wife was home sick yesterday and I got a phone call about 11.30 from her… a delivery lorry had just backed into the house ripping off about fifteen feet of guttering, tearing off the fascia (sp=?) board and damaging probably about 20 sq foot of roof tiles.

Luckily our landlord happened to be there to witness it ( we rent space on an old farm ) and according to mrs. G she learned some interesting new words ( in french ) as exchanged between our landlord and the lorry driver.

BUT.. the amazing part?

I heard noises on the roof at 7.50 this morning…there was already a repairman working on the roof!!! I don’t know how long it would take just to get someone to look at our roof down in Cornwall… gawd forbid something should happen.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

I used to live there some itme ago. It is a very litigeous society with very stiff fine imposed on any wrong-doing. I am not surprised at all!

jova54
    Free Member

If they’re so efficient how did he reverse into the house in the first place? 😉

grynch
    Free Member

stiff fines yes… I’ve been victim of roadway speed cameras many times… 53kpm in a 50 zone anyone?

but litigious? .. I ‘ve never really noticed that but maybe I’ve just not delved deep enuf.

grynch
    Free Member

jova, not being funny but I very much doubt the driver was Swiss… “swiss don’t do menial”

grynch
    Free Member

*thinking Albanian*

beanum

To Fauxbyfour… Were you in the German Swiss part by any chance? It’s a bit more laid back in Suisse Romande…

To Grynch.. Where are you based? I live in Lausanne..

I must admit that after living here for a while you get used to the efficiency (people picking up fag ends with tweezers on sticks, council guys blowing fallen leaves off pavements when it’s been windy) but it does annoy me sometimes – I recently received a letter threatening me with expulsion from my apartment because my rent was 10 days late..!

Caher

Its very rule driven here, some of which are invisible and implied, in terms of how should behave. It kinda reminds me of Britain in the 50’s (from heresy) or the Isle of Wight today.

grynch
    Free Member

beanum… I work in Geneva but live about 15 miles out of town in your direction.

Caher… you a swissie too? whereabouts are you?

grynch
    Free Member

time for a little plug.. anyone up for a little lakeside ride?
    http://www.bikethelake.ch/

( a charity bike ride around the lake, june 07.. but you can choose your own charity if you wish )

spoon
    Free Member

I have this all to look forward to !

I remember staying with my sister and at 7:30 on a saturday morning someone had arrived to clean the algae from the inside of small fountain in the square.

+ random disinfecting of the escalator hand rails at the station.

grynch
    Free Member

I always enjoy watching the little street washing machine come thru Versoix (next town over ) hosing down the sidewalks… in the rain.

*chuckle*
    gotta love em

grynch
    Free Member

“it is tuesday, we will wash the streets, no matter what!!”

scotia
    Free Member

i work in lausanne! anyone up for a ride?

scotia
    Free Member

i do road riding only tho..

Caher

I’m in Luzern

beanum

Scotia, I’ve got a RoadRat that I use for commuting and road rides (although I did do the 180km Cyclotour last year).
    I haven’t been cycling since it started snowing, however, so maybe in a month or so?
    I know a lot of more serious roadies in the Lausanne area if you’re interested… Most of them can be found every other Thursday at Taco’s bar..
    Thursday Night Drinks Club
    There’s a planned trip to the Velodrome in Aigle pretty soon too…

beanum

Spoon, if you’re on your way out here, the English Forum website can be pretty useful ( I wish it was set up when I came out here..)

English Forum

grynch
    Free Member

scotia, I’ve been meaning to ask you.. how did you come by your name?

grynch
    Free Member

just FYI.. I’m from Nova Scotia ( among other places )

grynch
    Free Member

there are also a group of mainly english speaking roadies who meet every sunday morning in Crassier (near Nyon) for a ride

scotia
    Free Member

yup, beanum i go to that from time to time but it doesnt work too well for me (i either have to stay at work v late or make a return trip that isnt worth while).

im waiting for a bit before i start commuting to work..still a bit cold..

scotia
    Free Member

Grynch, just saw your question…im scottish and was looking for sth quick and easy to type!

grynch
    Free Member

that would explain it then.. thanks scotia.

scotia
    Free Member

Ah really? Nyon is relatively easy for me to get to..i ive in Echallens..Do you have a contact

grynch
    Free Member

send me an email.. name in my profile

spoon
    Free Member

Ah thanks beanum always useful-I’ve found a website called glocals.com as well – The madness of flat hunting has begun.

Maybe a STW Swiss meet-up might be in order !!

scotia
    Free Member

Spoon – when you coming over? to Lausanne?

beanum

Sounds like a plan! 🙂

The best site I’ve found for flat hunting is Annonces.. It looks at the same stuff as Homegate.ch but it shows you when the ad was posted and how many people have already viewed it which is very handy… Good Luck!
    Annonces

spoon
    Free Member

I’m going to Geneva – Start work at the Hospital (HUG) on June 1st – so a week before or something. I’ve not thought through the finer details yet!

3 bikes and a bed need to be shipped over. My sister has a flat there so I might impose myself for a bit.

scotia
    Free Member

i took my bike over with BA, took it as sporting equipment…just a thought..

taking a bed? that’ll cost..

beanum

I used Luker Bros when I moved. It was paid for by my new company but it cost about £1000 to move the contents of a small 2 bed house and 2 bikes…
    They are excellent, very professional and do the UK to Swiss run every couple of weeks so it might be worth giving them a call..?
    If they quote silly money you could look in Free Ads for a man with a van?
    Luker Bros

spoon
    Free Member

You’re the second person to recommend Luker Bros. The other option is hire a van in the uk drive over and drive back but the amount of faff involved, its probably not worth it.

scotia
    Free Member

seriously, it might sound like a weird idea, but excess baggage did it for me. I sold all my big stuff like bed etc in the uk and packed in bags all i had left, 7 bags each 40kgs..bike too..v cheap at 70GBP..

grynch
    Free Member

really — unless the bed has sentimental value ( ?? ) it might be cheaper to sell up there and buy something new over here.

spoon
    Free Member

Selling is an option -or to just rent a room in a furnished place for starters !
    I’m waiting for some removal quotes, I’ve got some other stuff like stereo, bike stuff etc.

But a bag of clothes, bike and laptop will probably do me.

scotia
    Free Member

Spoon, i did a pretty big research, even thought of the van thing..but in the end, taxi bags excess baggage taxi jobs done..

grynch
    Free Member

I wound up putting alot of my furniture into storage..well.. storage at my sisters place before moving over here… last visit home I found out my bedroom furniture had been moved out of storage and had become her spare bedroom. 😯 🙁

matt_outandabout

I am still waiting for our company to send me to Fribourg or Cham to see a supplier…seeing as I am leaving, I doubt its going to happen. 🙁

We have Swiss guys in the company, and work with many, and yes they are good, damn efficient, but have a great sense of humor…but they are also rude, ‘rule’ driven and mega opinionated.

I love em.

grynch
    Free Member

matt, I can’t say any of my coworker are rude… many would consider them snobish but the rest is true.. very funny when you get to know them and yes absolutlely rule driven

one colleague was seriously going to send a complaint letter when the local bus was 3 minutes late

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Swiss efficiency ???’ is closed to new replies.