Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Swinley Forest-
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Wondered if any of you guys could recommend a ride out for me @ Swinley for my first visit. Looking for some fun but not too techy as I’m a newb. I’d appreciate any recommended routes/trails to take.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Most of Swinley isn’t technical at all. There’s plenty of flattish single track for learning the ropes on, and lots of options available

But, it’s a rabbit warren! There are trails all over the place, all unmarked and mostly well hidden. Your best bet is to hook up with someone who can show you round 🙂

scuttler

Navigation’s a nightmare. Would suggest you wait for someone on here to offer some guiding (not me – I live up north) or look for the facebook group that do frequent rides for a mix of abilities.

If you do go out with a group remember to focus on landmarks and where you’re going so that you can get to grips with navigating your own way around. In a group it’s all too easy just to follow the wheel in front.

HTH

philconsequence
    Free Member

still new to riding, still new to swinley but do head down there a couple of times a week. when abouts are you hoping to get down there dude? how would you describe your fitness and ability?

soobalias
    Free Member

dont listen to them, if you want to get the very best out swinley you would be better off with a guide, but there is loads of riding there and wherever you go in the forest you only have to head north to find your way back to the carpark

as you ride along the fire tracks, take any little bit of singletrack and see where it leads.

ive got a copy of the map with some of the trails marked if you want me to email it

D28boy
    Free Member

Phil

may go this Sunday time & weather permitting. New to this lark myself. Used to be a bit of a runner but injury/osteoarthritis of hips put an end to that recently..Too bad @ 48. Still enjoying the MB & doing Test Valley Tour next weekend!

molgrips
    Free Member

Park at the lookout, ride South for a bit, then dive into the first bit of singletrack you see and keep following trails randomly. Carry a GPS, and when you’re tired follow the GPS back to the car 🙂

D28boy
    Free Member

and if you haven’t got a GPS?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i know its probably bad form to recommend another forum but if i were you id’ check out the mtb britain forum, there’s a few guys on there who ride swinley about 3 times a week. the weekend ride is at a much nicer pace, lots of stops and chatting. they always make sure someone rides at the back to keep everyone together and nobody gets left behind.

a few weeks into riding i went out with them on a weekend and it was fantastic, about 12-13 miles and nearly all singletrack, it was great. i’ve been many times since with other friends and still cant tie together a route thats all singletrack.

the evening rides they do are a faster pace and hardly any/no stops at all but still led by guys who know that place like the back of their hands and easy to get along with.

i cant wait to go out with them again on a weekend, but working on getting the other halfs confidence up first as she’d have a crap time if she thought she was holding everyone up.

molgrips
    Free Member

and if you haven’t got a GPS?

Use the sun and/or the lichen on the trees to head north like SOOBalias says.

If you do go out with a group remember to focus on landmarks

Landmarks?

Swinley – linear, isotropic and homogeneous, for the most part.

GDRS

I ride there quite a bit – but can’t for a while as I have a few weekends in other places planned. Just riding the place is fun – and people do put you onto the better sections if you ask…….

However – I think you can take a safe punt.

I would Ride on a Sunday Morning – get set and ready to ride at 10am from the look out carpark. Once you have got your permit (don’t be cheap) ask someone if you can tag along. 10 am seems to be time when many riders muster in the car park, either waiting for friends to show up – or fettling.

I have never done this at Swinley – but I have in other places. The worst that can happen is someone says no.

Failing that – put an add up in the forum for a ride. Back in the day there were a couple of flash mob style rides at Swinley organised by CG. The one I tagged on to was well supported, and even though I thought I knew the place well I was shown some great sections ‘new to me’.

Place a request and see what and who turns up……

ramble ramble I must do some work before I leave the office.

G

nickc

Ride along a fireroad, look out for the trails, dive in on the first one you come to, follow it to the end, repeat until knackered.

S’easy

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

another vote for hooking up on the MTBBritain forum. There is also a good route on their maps/route pages which I follow often.

The local mtb group to there is Berks On Bikes BOB and they often show new joiners around, so that is worth investigating as well.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

+ 1 for nickc: there’s nothing wrong with a bit of good old-fashioned exploring. Just follow every likely looking bit of singletrack and you won’t go far wrong. It’s easy enough to orientate yourself on the fire road network and make your way back to the car park.

crazy-legs

I learnt my way around Swinley by doing some of the Gorrick races. even if you don’t want to race you can still turn up in the morning and “pre-ride” the route so long as you’re not getting in anyones way. Obviously that means waiting for a Gorrick race but you do get to know your way around with no danger of getting lost!

Otherwise as others have said, either explore or try and hook up with some other folk. And buy a permit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve met loads of people there as the sun sets that stop me and ask which way the car park is.. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Easy to find way back to car park as most of the fire roads head back there in large circular direction. Or follow the signs to the Look out. There’s some great stuff and I know there are a few people on here who have the maps with the best bits listed so easier to find.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And buy a permit.

– £20 is less than a few car parking tickets at other trail centers
    – Apparently they’re clamping down on un-permited riders, especialy in the MTB area (the gulley, labarynth, etc)
    – Pays for your insurance so you can ride as fast as you like 🙂

Although it onmly lasts unitll April IIRC so might be cheeper to buy £2 day permits untill then.

If your arround on Sunday I’ll possibly be there, depends if the forecast rain appears on Saturday morning to rain off my cuttent planned weekend ride.

huws
    Free Member

i know its probably bad form to recommend another forum but if i were you id’ check out the mtb britain forum, there’s a few guys on there who ride swinley about 3 times a week. the weekend ride is at a much nicer pace, lots of stops and chatting. they always make sure someone rides at the back to keep everyone together and nobody gets left behind.

Waves from the other place.

I think there’s a ride this weekend, early stage planning at the moment though. All welcome.

cinnamon_girl

Well, if you don’t mind a slow pace then I’m happy to show you around. Am a Swinley local who’s done the odd bit of guiding. 😉

GDRS

Cinnamon Girl – I think you ‘organised’ the flash mob style thing I went to at Swinley the other January. Bitterly cold but great fun and a very impressive turn out……

Good vibes all round.

G

D28boy
    Free Member

Thanx everyone for the info I’ll probably go Sunday morning if weather ok

catfood
    Free Member

They are now checking permits at Swinley, had ours checked today at Pips bench, the ranger said there is a new chap in charge who is very pro cycling in the forest but very keen on everybody having a permit as he has lots of plans for trail upkeep and improvement, he suggested wearing it in your helmet as it gets the bosses goat if permits arent on show, although I tried this and it just kept stabbing me in the bonce.

Amos
    Free Member

Wearing it in your helmet? My god that paper cut must have awful

cinnamon_girl

Cinnamon Girl – I think you ‘organised’ the flash mob style thing I went to at Swinley the other January. Bitterly cold but great fun and a very impressive turn out……

Yeah, around 50 riders in minus 7 degrees. 😯 T’was a great day and how fast were those trails?

Seggons
    Free Member

the new dh stuff up by the reservoir is amaaaazing, makes me happy. The jumpy bermy one makes me feel like life can only get better sometimes. Gully needs work ..

huws
    Free Member

the new dh stuff up by the reservoir is amaaaazing

Ooh, new stuff and DH orientated. Exciting.

Where abouts exactly?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

How much are the permits nowadays? think that’s a bit fussy whinging if you can’t see the permit!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

New DH stuff?

catfood
    Free Member

£2 for the day, the ranger said there is now a sliding scale for annual ones too, so one for the next six months wont be the whole £20, which is good as they run from April to April.

The ranger reckoned that his boss thought anyone not showing a permit was riding without, hence the clampdown in the forest at the moment.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Forest-’ is closed to new replies.