Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Swearing on here.
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Kibble

yunki
    Free Member

bollocks

yodagoat
    Free Member

Chipsngravy, if you get banned you should get your money back from yer sub! 😆

Say its a breach of your human rights or something, you’re only expressing yourself. You’re right though, this is a worryingly prudish forum.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Tomorrow morning we’ll all be thinking, “now what do I do when Im at work”

headfirst
    Free Member

**** (rhymes with/synonym for bankers 6 letters)
    Cock (…oh van… French qwizeen 4 letters)

Arsehole (… juh I shall be 8 letters)

Edit: that didn’t work as intended, previously all rude words showed as 4 stars no matter how long the profanity, which always confused me. Point made with my first word.

ocrider

Still can’t fathom why Fr Jack Hackett’s word of choice is not allowed. Thats just silly.

wolly
    Free Member

It’s a pi55 take Shirley

toys19
    Free Member

To be honest, considering you can pick up a broadsheet newspaper and find the foulest of language I don’t really understand why there’s such prudishness on here – or other forums for that matter.

Still can’t fathom why Fr Jack Hackett’s word of choice is not allowed. Thats just silly.

The answer to this, is that control freak morons are running the asylum.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s a verbal form of preventing broken window theory isn’t it.. and it seems to work pretty well..

I advocate creative use of language in all it’s forms but wholeheartedly trusting a bunch of forum contributors to use language responsibly is daft..

Bob Dylan said

A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.

I think we can all agree that there are few heroes here amongst us (myself excluded of course)

If every other post was full of offensive language it wouldn’t take long for the target demograhic to change (see the accusations of ‘prudishness’ above) and standards to slip and the forum would lose all of it’s pseudo noetic charm that makes it so popular amongst the aspirational..

I have no idea how you can stop people being waaaaaaaaaankers though

jekkyl

Can’t we just have a disclaimer on sign up to say you are over 18 and that accept that if you see any adult words you will not hold the publishers of STW accountable for you being offended by the aforementioned adult words?

yunki
    Free Member

Can’t we just have a disclaimer on sign up to say you are over 18

see above about broken window theory..

it’s about maintaining standards, not about avoiding causing offence

Kuco

I don’t mind being pulled up on it just asking for some consistency.

scotroutes

Easy. Type whatever you like and let the swear filter do its work.

Legoman
    Free Member

In before the lock!
    Bam!

somafunk

I’ve had a couple of warnings/emails regarding avoidance of the swear filter that if i continued with such postings would lead to a ban, what always puzzled me was the fact i can post such language on a BBC forum that is moderated without such prudishness or hand wringing behaviour.
    I never use actual swearing terms but i do often use colloquial terms for such words as father jack is known to use and such like. You’d think if anyone is going to get uptight about anything then the BBC would be first to cry “foul” but it seems that for some folk on here there is a very thin line that you’re allowed to tread, i guess if you’re wearing shit-kicking clodhoppers and trudging through shite on a daily basis like i do and been brought up since birth in a hands on engineering/fisherman/manual work environment that phrasing forum posts as you naturally speak would be ok but i forget there are many sensitive delicate souls on here.

Personally i couldn’t give a flying **** what folk think of how i speak or write on the forum, and if the ********** catches whatever i say then i’m perfectly ok wi that and accept it fully without argument, what grates my piss is getting emails from faceless moderators who i cannot personally reply to nor place a forum name to, whether that be to offer an apology for an oversight in my written vernacular or to argue my point and tell them not be so bloody pedantic.

watsontony
    Free Member

ommmm swear words im telling

yunki
    Free Member

you’re missing the point Kenny..

read my posts..

I’m a sweary commoner too, I doubt very much if I’d sound half comprehensible to some of the folk on here.. you’d probably call me a doss ****

but I understand the reason for doing it the way they do it

jonnyvegas
    Free Member
    somafunk

I didn’t see your posts Yunki as i had the reply window opened up for a while as i made a veg curry for tea.

Yeah i agree wi you regarding the “broken window theory” with regard to swearing but what i take issue with is the sometimes moral hand wringing wrought out by certain mods who are obviously nameless and faceless, i’ve never deliberately try to go out my way to post anything offensive/derogatory or suchlike, i guess you could say i practise a form of “broken window theory” in my neighbourhood by keeping the verges clean in our close and sweeping the pavements/roads, clipping the grass that grows through the fences and suchlike, keeping the grass cut and tidying up for our neighbours who are that bit older or find it difficult to do so for themselves and it does genuinely make a difference to how the area looks afterwards so i do understand what can happen if we let standards slide, however gradual that may be.

I do not wish this place to degenerate into into a free for all as i’ve been forum member since it’s inception way back when disc brakes were something fancy and almost aspirational, i like it the way it is, although i do think TJ and a few other long time users and contributors should never have been banned but that’s another argument altogether 😉

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Pulls up a chair and quietly watches with interest from the wings………….

althepal

Awaits a mod….

pingu66
    Free Member

as i had the reply window opened up for a while as i made a veg curry for tea

Is that a euphemism!

f every other post was full of offensive language it wouldn’t take long for the target demograhic to change (see the accusations of ‘prudishness’ above) and standards to slip and the forum would lose all of it’s pseudo noetic charm that makes it so popular amongst the aspirational..

Ugh!!!!!!! Lost me!

aracer
    Free Member

Awaits a mod….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I got an email in seconds for “avoiding filters” when innocently posted pictures of surly stickers,

But when I sent a donation and asked a question, heard nothing.

Emailed asking about changing info, heard nothing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve been to a gig and had a fair few beers to tonight, so a fitting end to the evening would involve some clunge.

……if its allowed!

pingu66
    Free Member

It would be beneficial if the mods could post a list of words that are not allowed so we are all aware!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It would be beneficial if the mods could post a list of words that are not allowed so we are all aware!

… But then they’d have to ban themselves!

Squidlord
    Free Member

Semprini!

scotroutes

Let me help…

I think that’s them all

pingu66
    Free Member

Thanks scotroutes that’s helpful!

somafunk

You forgot

Hairy ****** ******
    Useless ****
    Spineless ****** ******

I could go on but it’s getting late and my feeble brain is getting tired

walleater

29er

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Swearing on here.’ is closed to new replies.