Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Swapping two vehicles for one…
  • willard

In true IT manager/cyclist form, I own to vehicles, the standard issue VW T5 panel van (for biking, camping and the like) and an Audi TT for daily driving and fun.

I’ve found myself in a position where I pretty much have to go down to a single vehicle and neither of the two would fit the requirements.

I’d like something that is a bit sporty, but it’s got to be able to take at least one medium sized dog in the boot/back as well as luggage, be relatively comfortable, reliable and cost less than 5k. Crucially, it’s also got to be cheap on Irish NCT, so less than a 2 litre engine. I’d also like something that was AWD or RWD, but at the least, something that’s FWD and not horribly understeery would be nice.

I keep thinking about the generic 56/7 plate Golf GTis, but as much as they tick all the boxes, they do look a little boy racer. I also know that people will jump for the Octavia, but I’d like other ideas as well.

There’s really only going to be me and the dog init most days, so an estate is not necessary.

Rockape63
    Free Member

A4 Avant Quattro Sport….although £5k might be an issue. Look for a 3.0 petrol….lovely V6. Not as thirsty as you think!

Here’s one!

cokie

Keep the TT and fit a removable towbar

willard

The V6 is the problem. I might be moving to Ireland and anything like that is stupid money on car tax. If it was not, I’d keep the TT (it’s the 3.2 VR6 mk. 2 version) and use that. Sadly, it would cost me an arm and a leg every year, hence the desire to keep it to a 2 litre.

Rockape63
    Free Member

The V6 is the problem. I might be moving to Ireland and anything like that is stupid money on car tax

Ah, I see…thats a shame. Obviously there are 1.8T’s and 2.0T models which are still nice. Guy I work with has an old one and its still sound.

hopefiendboy

keep the panel van, sell the hairdressers (joke!!) car and get a motorbike! 🙂

Cheap to run in the republic, no MOT required.

willard

Yeah, I was looking at a 225 bhp Mk.1, but they are a bit smaller than the Mk.2 and my dog (as he’s getting older) is not liking the firm suspension. I was thinking the Golf would give him more space and let me save €900+ a year on NCT.

Do Audi do an A3 with half decent performance?

Hopefiend, yep, thought of that too, but a van’s not so good for commuting in Dublin.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Forester XT.
    I bought mine because I tried, in my Rover Vitesse, to keep up with one over the South Downs on a wet and drafty day. I failed, but the Labrador in the Subaru’s boot had the cleanest balls in Sussex.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Swapping two vehicles for one…’ is closed to new replies.