Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Suspension refurb Question number 6…..Shock bushing removal
  • pedlad

Any ideas how to do this?

I’ve got all the shock bolts and bearings out ok with the home brew puller but the shock bushing is so thin it’s very hard to get a washer the right size.

Tried with sockets and vice too but I really don’t want to damage the shock shaft.

Can I just use a junior hacksaw blade to cut a slit then bend the metal away from the eyelet?

ruscle
    Free Member

Buy the proper tool from BETD online, will cost about £18 which is better than forking out for a new shock lower when you cut into it

granny_ring

Have you looked on ebay? There used to be a couple of people selling some gadget to do that for a tenner or so.

granny_ring

Dont know if you saw the other thread?

AlasdairMc

The BETD shock bush tool is a thing of beauty in its simplicity:

Assemble around shock eye, hit with hammer and remove old bush.
    Assemble around shock eye with new bush, hit with hammer. Finished.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get the proper tool. Buy once own for life

perthmtb
    Free Member

You don’t say what make of shock you have, but the Fox DU bushings & aluminium spacers are known for wearing out quickly, so they’ve upgraded to a new “5-piece flanged bushing”. Once you’ve got the old one out, might be worth replacing with the new type. The new one doesn’t need a removal/fitting tool and is reputed to have 50% less friction and last 10 times longer (something to do with the ‘O’ rings in the pic below I’ll wager!).

My 2013 model bike came with one of the new bushings standard, and I’ve ordered another one to fit to my existing bike, which went thru one of the old DU type bushings in six months!

PS: Very useful Fox guide to bushing replacement here and it shows the different types of bushing, including the new 5-piece flanged one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Be aware that Fox charge £4 for a normal bush. A bush that is in fact a standard part that can be bought for £1 fairly easily. My guess is that the new one above will be similarly over priced.

(same thing goes for Rockshox oil seals which are standard hydraulic ram seals)

I got a bushing tool a few years ago off eBay for about £18, including 8 bushes, from the USA.
    🙂

p7rich
    Free Member

I bought the ebay one (first link in the other thread) and it makes me smile when i think how much blood, sweat and tears it’s saved me.

perthmtb
    Free Member

The new Fox bushing cost me twelve quid, which is certainly more expensive than a DU bushing. But… remember it replaces both DU bushing, and spacers, and doesn’t need a special tool to fit or remove it, so it works out at about the same price in the end. But most importantly, Fox claim it lasts 10 times longer than the DU bushings, so theoretically you should never need to fit another one!

pedlad

great replies thanks – the new version looks good int he long run but I’d then need a tool just to remove the old one once 😥

I’ve already bought a relacement DU one so I might just get tool and go with that – or do I need new spacers too?

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’ve already bought a relacement DU one so I might just get tool and go with that – or do I need new spacers too?

Completely depends on the condition of your old spacers. If the surfaces aren’t scored and they fit snugly into the new DU bush then its fine to re-use them. However, if you left replacing the bushing too long so that the aluminium spacers started to wear against the bare metal of the DU bushing, then you’d better replace them.

pedlad

ok will check – thanks all

LoCo
    Free Member

If you just need to replace the du/eyelet bush, you’re best to use a polymer bush that lasts alot long and has a bit less stiction too.

retro83
    Free Member

perthmtb – Member

You don’t say what make of shock you have, but the Fox DU bushings & aluminium spacers are known for wearing out quickly, so they’ve upgraded to a new “5-piece flanged bushing”. Once you’ve got the old one out, might be worth replacing with the new type. The new one doesn’t need a removal/fitting tool and is reputed to have 50% less friction and last 10 times longer (something to do with the ‘O’ rings in the pic below I’ll wager!).

Do those replace the top-hat spacer bits too?

Where can you get them from? Mojo don’t seem to list them, nor TF, loco etc

LoCo
    Free Member

yes the du/eyelet bushes are replaced with the cream coloured ‘top hat’ there is the tube which the o rings and spacers fit onto as well, RRP is £33.00 on a full kit for them.
    So a polymer eyelt bush and hd bush kit still works out a bit cheaper.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Got mine here for twelve quid, but then I don’t pay VAT 😀 but they’re still only fifteen quid including tax.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Suspension refurb Question number 6…..Shock bushing removal’ is closed to new replies.