Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Superstar Superleggera 29er wheels – any good?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I know Superstar get a bit of a hammering on here for their disc pads but has anyone used these wheels? Any good or avoid?

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive used the superleggera rear hub, superfast front hub, and their beefy front hub.

All have been excellent to date. There's been one guy who mentioned slipping of the rear ratchet (its not like a normal pawl mechanism), but Ive not had it and not heard of anyone else. Cant comment on the wheel build though as I built my own.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/superstarcomponents-20mm-hub-review

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a google – lots of reports of slipping rear hubs

Stoner
    Free Member

actually TJ, if you could stick to the facts….

There's only one other review referenced through google, on Bike Magic where two people have had slipping problems, one of which is the same guy as on my thread above.

I dont like fruit, tibolts, tangobravo, Neil, octopron or SSC, BUT the hub's been reliable for me and as afar as I can see for most others apart from the two who posted on the bikemagic review.

richc
    Free Member

hang on, hang on …. don't let the facts get in the way of TJ's witchhunt. They ALL fail TJ never lies 😉

ma-maracas
    Free Member

Just been looking into a set of Superleggera hubs myself, and came across the slipping issue that the guys comment on bikeradar:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/superleggera-xc-32194

Be very interested to hear what others think, as on paper they look a great price v's weight v's quality compromise.

thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

More than that when I looked.

Buy them if you want. I thought it reasonable to suggest googling as I had seen reports of slipping hubs.

Stoner
    Free Member

EDIT: I meant Bike Radar rather than Bike Magic. i.e. that link from ma-maracas.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

They'll catch fire and you'll die.

Science fact.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW – its the same hub as the Halo Supa Drive

richc
    Free Member

Well if the ST review of the 15mm wheels with Switch Hubs is to be believed the build quality of SS wheels is very good, so thats one thing you don't have to worry about.

the00
    Free Member

I was tempted, but in the end I was put off, possibly in an irrational way, by the DT rims. I have just built Mavic tn219s from CRC onto some 2nd hand Hope hubs, and it worked out cheaper.
    Still like the idea of a supperleggera rear hub though, for ratchet drive.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone still using these?

How wide are the rims?

Stoner
    Free Member

still using my superleggera hub (my own wheel build so rim width is irrelevant)

Still running it as SS and brutally honking my 95Kg on it and it still hasnt slipped on me.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of SuperStar 29er wheels (can’t remember the model) and whilst I’ve had no issues with the hubs, the build is a bit flakey. Mind you, I paid £110 for the pair and got a bag of sweets – can’t grumble at that!

kerv
    Free Member

Got them on mine (not clown wheels though) used 2 or three times a week since getting them in March and no problems to report. Apart from the noise!! 😯

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I got some switch hubs with Crest 29er rims seem good so far. Build quality is also good at the moment but I’ve only taken them out 2-3 times.

Mind they are crest rims on a rigid bike and Im 70kgs so I dont intend to hammer them.

I noticed alot of reviews saying the build quality is awful, I added a note to the order asking could he spend some extra time on the build so I would nt have to say nasty thing on Singletrack. Dont know if they made any difference but the wheels seem fine to me.

Also if he really is a one man op then prehaps his wheel building skills have improved by now ? Shame about all the people who got dodgy wheel builds.

bigjim

added a note to the order asking could he spend some extra time on the build so I would nt have to say nasty thing on Singletrack

😆 ace

barbus
    Free Member

I bought a pair of SSC wheels about a year ago, Superleggra TI rear hub CX Ray spokes, cant remember what the front hub is called. Both had Alloy nipples and DT 350 Rims. I have mixed feelings, firstly at 1425 Grams they were not as light as I had expected. Build was not good, one of the spokes had been inserted from the wrong side of the hub flange and had an awfull dog kink in it as a result. The spoke tension was very loose and got worse with rinding, I ended-up truing them myself. The rear hub has not slipped but is noisey, not in the same click-click-click as Hope but more a ‘Bumble bee type buz’. I have had people comment on the noise several times, Grease will probably quiten it down. The bearings are now gone in the rear hub, I emailed SSC and asked for the sizes, So I could get some before stripping down, they sent me a good instructional ‘HOW TO OVERHAUL REAR HUB’ but no bearing size listed.
    So all in all, would I recommend?
    If your reasonably handy in the workshop YES.
    If you want a Fit and Forget Wheelset NO.

Hope that is of some use.

Northwind

I wouldn’t buy the Superleggara personally, it’s a hub that’s been sold under different names who’ve had much the same issues. Switch seems a good hub though, slightly short bearing life but then, same is true of a Pro 2 😉

Real problem is the build quality, which is incredibly variable. I’ve seen some Superstar wheelsets which are spot on, as good as my Wheelpro build. And I’ve seen others that weren’t even true, and had ridiculously uneven spoke tension from brand new. And I know of one set that fell apart after 2 rides at Glentress red, apparently the AM wheelset isn’t built for that sort of extreme riding 🙄

Still would consider them but I’d go into it with eyes open.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got 26″ wheels with superleggera Ti hub, switch front, cx ray sapim spokes, hand built by SSC and all good so far. They were built and used last summer, but not used over the winter, been well used this spring/summer, so reasonable use. The hub ‘buzz’ is quite loud, but sounds nice IMO, pretty instant engagement and still spin super smooth.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Superleggera 29er wheels – any good?’ is closed to new replies.