Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Supercar Bangernomics – Ariel Atom?
  • tthew

Far too many words in all the posts above.

That’s cool as ****. Jealous. 👍

ceept

Looks awesome OP.

I agree, once you’ve raced, or learned to drive properly on-track, trackdays are boring. Full of old-men in Caterhams who slow down for corners & your not allowed to overtake 😉.

A nice wee drive on great little Scottish roads, preferably on a sunny morning, at about 6am with no traffic is far more rewarding.

timber

I like this kind of man maths in action.
    Done something similar before so think the other half would be game for it. Needs to be narrower than 1.85m to fit down the side of the house though.

Although we gave the last one up before licence loss or losing out to physics.

corroded
    Free Member

Just done some very similar man-maths for a marginally more practical car (my first in ten years). Not sure if I want to track running costs though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s interesting all the comments about insurance coming with track day insurance.

I’m at the stage of doing insurance quotes through GoCompare etc.

A family 3 series costs me approx £450 to insure a year. A Porsche Boxter S will cost me £260!

Who should I be looking at to include track day insurance?

OP – interested to know if you are going down the helmet route or just sunglasses. To me part of the fun of that car is that you don’t have to wear a helmet, but then I don’t know if I could take the risk.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

That is one seriously cool car OP. 5 years ago I bought a Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 and it was one the best decisions I ever made. I grew up watching the BTCC and used to go and watch a lot of races with my dad and always lusted after an RS500 but never thought I’d get the chance to drive one let alone own one.

bedmaker

I’m just here to press the virtual like button – that’s a fantastic choice OP.

Of course, once the grass verges grow to 3ft high in the summer now that councils are all skint, the best vehicle to maintain a decent sight line round a corner is a van, but the Atom should be fun nonetheless 🙂

A 5am summertime drive over to Applecross in something like that is the stuff of dreams.

duncancallum

Proper man maths

Well done

Not jealous at all……

w00dster

Very nice OP. Just hope you do better than me with my silly car purchase…
    I did similar man maths with a car purchase 10 years ago….still got the car, it’s lost quite a lot of money if I was to sell it. Only gets used about 4 times a year, one of those is to get it serviced the other is taking it for an MOT.
    I am in the Midlands though so have to admit the roads down here aren’t the best. And I’m a rubbish driver so that doesn’t help!

firestarter
    Free Member

My mates brother got one, he was on the waiting list ages then ran it for a year and sold it at a decent profit

fossy

I’ve driven an Atom on the track – not the easiest of things to drive, and quite frightening having just come out of a GTR. Power nothing. On the track day we had to drive it in second gear only as we’d most likely crash on a gear change and spin off as it was slightly damp. Scared the crap out of me.

anagallis_arvensis

What’s one of them then?

Making progress and being awesome.

kerley
    Free Member

A more responsible vehicle for the road which would be fun without ridiculous speeds would be the Caterham 7 160. All the fun but with much less power and really can be enjoyed at safer speeds unlike claiming an Atom can be.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Who should I be looking at to include track day insurance?

OP – interested to know if you are going down the helmet route or just sunglasses.

Try this list:

A-Plan 01635 874646
    Adrian Flux 0800 369 8590
    Classic Line 01455 639000
    HIC 0330 123 1844
    Lloyd & Whyte 01823 250700
    MSM 01279 870535
    Pace Ward 01782 286311
    REIS 0115 965 1020
    Moris 020 3427 5960

Helmet for most trips. It’s quieter, warmer and gives you more protection plus there’s an intercomm for passenger chats, phone and music.
    Sunglasses don’t cut it. You need a seal around the eyes really so I have ESS Advancer ballistic goggles but folk use Skiing goggles, Skydiving glasses etc. Even with goggles and a mask getting hit by a bumble bee at 50mph is never fun and gravel even less so.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

A more responsible vehicle for the road which would be fun without ridiculous speeds would be the Caterham 7 160.

You’re probably spot on there TBH but I just want to experience a supercharged Atom. For the roads I drive an early R53 Cooper S would probably be all I’d ever need.

Anyway, I’m playing the long game. After the Atom, any other fun car – no matter how ridiculous – will seem like a sensible choice to Her Indoors….

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Wonderful stuff!

I’ve considered the same (expensive sportscar, keep for a couple of years, sell before much depreciation) before, since single, no kids, no mortgage. Just short of the £40k! I also don’t think I’d get away with parking it in the residents parking zone outside my city centre flat!

I actually think that a nice, light car that is low to the ground and has a nice feel to it makes for the best drive. Loved taking my 140hp MX5 around the highlands, and also enjoyed borrowing a pal’s S1 Elise that didn’t have much power but felt amazing! I had a 250hp Saab Estate that, while much faster, wasn’t exactly exciting to drive.

I was cycling across the Flow Country in Caithness last summer (a huge big empty moor/bog near the NC500) when 5 Atoms in a row came past – everyone looked like they were having a great time and we were all waving to each other.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve always been a fan but could only afford an ep3 type r, I can only imagine how well the drivetrain works in car like the atom.

Hadn’t realised they had Type R engines, if I knew how to post vids I’d drop the latest one I got from my eldest – he’s rebuilt his EP3 engine (again), previously he’d got it to 450bhp (turbo’d) and now up to 611bhp…

DickBarton

Nope, running costs would be so much higher as I’d be driving it far more. It looks great and would great to just drive. I’m no boy racer and I enjoy driving so something like that would have me out for a drive at ever opportunity.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’d love a Nomad. I’d need the suspension for the potholes, and the rally style lightbar as the only way to get a clear road round these parts would be to wait for 4am.
    Now, where would I store it, and how will I pay for it?

ta11pau1

Brilliant.

VS bikes, I reckon you’ve got all the advantages (crazy acceleration, direct feeling to the road), with slightly less overtaking as you still need a cars width for that, but with the massive advantage of being able to recover a loss of grip if you hit mud/oil on a corner, and crash protection.

I own a 140bhp v-twin motorbike and riding on the road is less and less appealing with the amount of people on phones/not paying attention etc.

Plus, you get an epiglottis full of beeees! Obviously.

redmex
    Free Member

https://youtu.be/7Jj6SA2n8Ng

Not quite an Atom but maybe too much power, cold tyres , and very lightweight

reluctantjumper

Man maths is winning there, lovely thing!

My cousin has one of the original Atoms, he could easily sell it for near what he paid for it despite it being thrashed and not kept particularly clean. I’ve never driven his but have had a go in one at an Experience Day a few years ago, drove a Caterham, F430 and a Gallardo on the same day. The Ferrari and Lambo were just big, fast cars with loud exhausts. The Caterham was lovely and raw, really enjoyed that despite it being the slowest car on track.

The Atom though, oh my God!! They were only letting people drive it who could show they were safe in the other cars, not many were making it that far. Thankfully as I’d driven the Caterham before it the instructor knew I could cope with a lively chassis (his words) so got to go in the Atom. First run was gentle, no throttle until in 5th gear then only shortish bursts on the straights. Such an impression just from that. Idle to the rev limiter was pretty much instant! The second run (was only meant to be one run but the instructor was in a playful mood due to the Caterham, it only runs on certain days) and he got me to floor it in second all the way up to 6th out of the pits. I had real trouble changing gears fast enough while keeping it in a straight line. An absolute animal of a machine.

You’ll either love it or stick it in a hedge 🤣

DrP

Hadn’t realised they had Type R engines, if I knew how to post vids I’d drop the latest one I got from my eldest – he’s rebuilt his EP3 engine (again), previously he’d got it to 450bhp (turbo’d) and now up to 611bhp…

I’d be interested…

I had an EP3 CTR, and would look at the bolt on superchargers (never got one)… would take it to 300BHP immediately, 380ish with intercooler..

I could just IMAGINE what that engine, in a go cart would be like!!!!

Good choice OP!!

DrP

Painey
    Free Member

Great cars those. I’ve been lucky enough to have driven a couple on track and they’re certainly a lot of fun. I’m no driving expert either but they’re not intimidating to drive fast.

whitestone
    Free Member

Jealous.

Of all the cars that have appeared on Top Gear, the Atom is the one that sticks in my memory and I’d love to have a go in one. Doubt my driving is up to dealing with its “livelyness” though!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Of all the cars that have appeared on Top Gear, the Atom is the one that sticks in my memory and I’d love to have a go in one. Doubt my driving is up to dealing with its “livelyness” though!

TBH I’m not finding it as intimidating as I feared. Let the tyres warm up a bit. Do your braking and gear selection in a straight line and don’t apply the throttle too eagerly as you exit the corner. Much like a big sportsbike really. You can drive it slowly as well and just bimble about if the fancy takes you.

Obviously I’ve got a long way to go with it though.

danposs86

Very nice.

My boss has a Nomad, bloody mental things, perfect for the rough roads around here!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Great stuff OP. You are only here once, if you can afford it then why not. Hope you enjoy it. I had a mate who had an elise as a track day car. It was his hobby and passion and he spent most weekends in Anglesey at the Ty Croes track.
    If i could afford it I would buy something unusual but fun and just keep it. good for you!!

Rich_s

Needs to be narrower than 1.85m to fit down the side of the house though.

The answer would be a Caterham then. Rumour has it that when we shortened our garage, *just* enough room was left to fit a se7en in, as long as it didn’t have a spare tyre fitted…

julians
    Free Member

Nice, I bought a Caterham 20 years ago, used to do track days, at least one a month for a good few years. But haven’t done one for years now. I never used to bother with track day insurance it wasn’t worth the cost.

I still have the caterham though, it sits in the garage and never gets used these days, it’s just no fun on the roads round here, no sooner do you over take one car then you’re up behind the next 30 seconds later.

That atom won’t be expensive to run, and you’ll get your money back when you come to sell it.

nicko74

Epic! Although BAngernomics may be a stretch…

On the basis that all moderately desirable cars are way cooler as daily drivers…
    Two things:
    – When I lived in London, I’d often park next to an Atom at Sainsburys – someone was using it for supermarket shopping. You should do so, if only to justify the man maths.
    – Where do the bikes go?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Don’t know if I missed it, but wOOdster… I now need to know what car you bought?
    OP…. can’t really think of anything that would put a smile on my face a lot more than an Atom. Every time I go go-kart racing I feel like I’m flying (probably only about 20mph) so God knows what you must feel like.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Dear OP,

you lucky, lucky bast… ( please see Life of Brian for finish)!

I posted recently about getting a fiesta st – for various reasons, its not happening.

I’m poor! I cant afford expensive cars!

However, i have had 2 “drivers” cars in the past. A DC2 and ’72 Mini with a 1380 in it.

The DC2 was incredible, much better car than i am a driver, but it could get you banned “nae danger”.

The Mini, would be lucky if i got it over a ton, but no matter where i went in it, it was a bloody hoot!

So i think i get what you say about the Atom. Some one else said they have just sold their GR4! Bloody hell, left arm for a shot of it time… but i can see what they mean!

If you can have fun in the Atom, without triple figure speeds (or not :)) then you knock yersel out bigman!

I’m well jel!

hot_fiat

Great choice! Atom isn’t about straight line speed. It’s all handling and exiting corners like its attached to a steam catapult. Bangernomics is possibly stretching it a bit.

Now it just needs tuning. mate of mine does this….

His brother puts K20s and supercharged K20s in Elises. Now they are special.

mrmoofo

looks great fun. And even less practical than a motorbike … 🙂

grahamt1980

Love those cars. I want a nomad though.

Plus want to get my hands on the father in laws lotus 7 or jps elan

VanHalen

well done op. dead jealous.

if i could i`d have a caterham 7 tomorrow. driven one a few times. easily the closest to bike fun levels ive found on 4 wheels.

just go out in it early sunday mornings and you`ll have a blast!

mrmoofo

A while ago I thought about the idea of a fun car for my retirement years. The trouble is I live on the coast down in the South East. Most of the summer ( and especially this one) it is rammed. Add to that the general awful standard of driving in the Brighton area, the std of road care that East and West Sussex councils offer, the vague OAP driving that scares me shitless on a bike etc, and it all becomes a little pointless – living in Scotland, you have a huge advantage – and the lack of body work will let all the rain out.

I went to look at a Cayman – it was in Chichester, a 30 mins drive from me. It took 1 3/4 hours because of the traffic.
    I ended up buying a sensible car instead – and another motorbike.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Looks like it would be fun but I imagine the novelty of driving it on the road would wear off pretty quickly. That said it’s in a different league performance wise to anything I’ve ever driven so I’d love to have a go in one.

mboy
    Free Member

Chapeau to the OP… The very dictionary definition of man maths! 👍🏻

Just going through the current conundrum myself… Have decided not to move house now until GF’s kids have finished school, so another 2-3 years… That means the £20k I’d got saved to go towards the house move can be “re-invested” for a while, and my current BMW 135i is now worth more than I paid for it so probably get £10.5k back for that…

Which brings me neatly onto looking at BMW M2’s… 😁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Supercar Bangernomics – Ariel Atom?’ is closed to new replies.