Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Suit jacket ettiquette
  • nickc

Double breasted; buttons undone. Single breasted; buttoned.

Yes?

davidrussell
    Free Member

double breated – mafia don or fatty. single breasted – whatever suits you, sir.

nickc

They don't call me Fat Tony for nothing…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I button my double-breasted, but top button only on the outside. I am not a mafia don, and am pretty skinny and buttoning the jacket gives me a better shape. 🙂

nickc

Pink socks. Too much?

Need also a belt, as trousers won't stay up, probably not the "make tea not war" one right?

BTW this is DJ if makes a difference

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ says
    Depends on the amount of buttons and vents I would have thought. Double breasted looks best buttoned. Single – leave the top and bottom button undone – unless its a single button jacket in which case the button should be done up

Wiki says
    Buttoning the suit jacket

The buttoning of the jacket is primarily determined by the button stance, a measure of how high the buttons are in relation to the natural waist. In some (now unusual) styles where the buttons are placed high, the tailor would have intended the suit to be buttoned differently from the more common lower stance. Nevertheless, some general guidelines are given here.

Double-breasted suit coats are almost always kept buttoned. When there is more than one to fasten (as in a traditional six-on-two arrangement), only the top one need be fastened; in some configurations, the wearer may elect to fasten only the bottom button, in order to present a longer line (a style popularised by the Prince George, Duke of Kent).

Single-breasted suit coats may be either fastened or unfastened. In two-button suits the bottom button is traditionally left unfastened except with certain unusual cuts of jacket. When fastening a three-button suit, the middle button is fastened, and the top one sometimes, but the bottom is traditionally not designed to be (although in the past some jackets were cut so that it could be fastened without distorting the drape, this is not the case with current clothing). A four-button suit is untraditional and so has no traditional guidelines on buttoning, but the middle ones at least should be fastened. Additionally, the one button suit has regained some popularity (it is also a classic style for some Savile Row tailors). The button should always be fastened while standing.

With a single-breasted suit, it is proper to have the buttons unfastened while sitting down to avoid an ugly drape. A good double-breasted suit is usually able to be left buttoned, to avoid the difficulty of constantly redoing inner buttons when standing up.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Always single breasted 2-button affair. Only do up top button. If you're a mod and you've got 3-button suit only do up eother top two or middle one. Never do up the bottom button on a suit jacket.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its DJ the rules change again I think – and a double breasted DJ? Really?

Edit – no belt FFS – a DJ trousers should not have belt loops anyway – should always be button on braces.

FFS – what do people get taught these days!

BigDummy
    Free Member

My DJ is double-breasted. Although that is the least of its worries.

aP
    Free Member

I have both db and sb DJ. I don't come out terribly well in either to be honest and generally only wear black tie to the annual dinner of my insurance company.
    I did buy a 4 button jacket last year – I tend to do up the top 3 buttons….

ken_shields
    Free Member

never ever unpick the stitching holding the external pockets shut. stops you putting crap in them and spoiling the line of the suit

prettygreenparrot

double breasted – in the bin.
    Single breasted – worn like James Bond.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Only on STW.

I wasn't even aware that this particular ettiquette existed. Hardly an essential life skill is it?

TooTall
    Free Member

Only on STW.

I wasn't even aware that the etiquette of changing tyres every ride existed. Hardly an essential life skill is it?

😐

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have no DJ. Never have had, never intend to, nor ever the need for one.

I'm 45 now & the only event I've ever been to where one was required, I was playing so it wasn't required of me 😉

Suit – can you still get double breasted suit jackets? the Demob look?

Macavity
    Free Member

DJ?

Oh Donkey Jacket… yes definately button that up.

When was the last time that you saw the heir to the thrown (and his father) with jacket unbuttoned (including their navy uniforms)

TooTall
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    FFS – what do people get taught these days!

As long as they learn 'not to dress like uncle TJ' they will probably get by. I've never seen you in a photo in anything other than 'no dad' clothing.

nickc

I elected to go "unbuttoned". People were scandalized, but at the same time found me dangerously alluring…

I'm the talk of the town….

TooTall
    Free Member

If you had to ask how to wear clothes on a mountain biking forum, they were probably gossiping because you managed to dress yourself! 😀

hh45
    Free Member

double breasted suits are for older, fatter, people IME (very 1980's, power dressing and all that c0ck) and worn by the sort of people generally who join golf clubs (i.e. old, fat, pompous). Single breasted rules, esp for thinner types that should (ahem) be most people on stw. Button up if cold but if it fits well and its pockets aren't overloaded then it should hang nicely without being buttoned.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

TooTall

Was that sarcasm?

I can't tell round here.

nickc

Single breasted rules, esp for thinner types that should (ahem) be most people on stw.

LOL, have you seen how many want join when fat club rolls (did you see what i did there) around

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Do whatever you like and to hell with the establishment?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Suit jacket ettiquette’ is closed to new replies.