Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • suing land owner / trail centre
  • fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Any one done it or tried

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Unless there was massive negligence ie a a wooden platform collapsing etc. causing you to plummet to impending doom

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how about you tell us your tale, off for some biscuits

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I suggest a FOIA request to Lancashire County Council will give you a good idea, the number of lemmings at Lee Quarry wanting a trip in a helicopter is incredible

tillydog
    Free Member

Chances are that it will be an insurance company “doin’ the suein'” rather than an individual.

Chances are also that most incidences are settled out of court with no public knowledge/record.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

LCC will have records of claims, getting a quantity and breakdown of “reasons” should be possible

philxx1975
    Free Member

Moron in wanting to sue for own inability and being judged by forum bellend shocker…..it was inevitable.

LAT

Land owner or trail centre?

If were an unsanctioned trail on private land where the incident occurred, then I wouldn’t sue unless I were facing a difficult future. Likewise if it were a traditional trail centre.

If it were a place I’d paid to ride and I’d incurred an injury as a result of the business’s negligence, yes, I probably would If the injury left me out of pocket.

Poopscoop

fallsoffalot – Member

Any one done it or tried

There it is, right there, you just killed Christmas.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Noooooooo i am sueing no one or would i consider it under almost any circumstances. just wandering why some people think they have any rights to if they fall off a mtb

ninfan
    Free Member

They might sue because they think the landowner had been negligent.

Let’s say, for example, there was a kerbstone deep waterbar placed right where you wouldn’t expect it, just around a bend on a fast stretch of at marked trail or bridleway, That had been hit by several riders previously, and reported, but the landowner had done nothing about

Onzadog
    Free Member

What if a popular and well used public bridleway was covered in loose deep gravel?
    *cough*Rushup Edge*cough*

But no, it’s not my default thought process.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Any rider that sues for falling off their own bike is lowlife. Even if we’re talking woodwork that fails, or an obstacle on a trail that shouldn’t be there, it’s up to you as a rider to handle yourself. All that happens is things get ruined for everyone else.

seadog101

I’ve heard plenty of people complaining about certain features not being ridable on some local trails, but lots of others saying that they are perfect. These are tricky/challenging elements on parts of black trails… Yes, they are not ment for all abilities, so don’t ride what you can’t handle, if you crash when trying to clear a big double just suck it up and learn your limits.

robdob
    Free Member

“I’ve heard plenty of people complaining about certain features not being ridable on some local trails,”

Dear me, some people need to get a grip. If it isn’t a trail centre, there are no “features”, just “countryside”. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Easy to take the moral high ground on a forum but if it really happened to you can you say for sure? Not talking about a broken collar bone but life changing injuries. Say a broken back, can’t walk, can’t drive, can’t ride a bike, can’t do your job, needing loads of physio, modifications to your house. Your choice is waiting for nhs care and disability living allowance or a payout from the landowners insurance which will make you far more comfortable. Theoretically you should only get a payment if they have been negligent. Pretty rubbish situation to be in and a tough choice to make it understandable in certain circumstances imo.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Pretty rubbish situation to be in and a tough choice to make it understandable in certain circumstances imo.

Why?

If it’s not someone else’s fault why should the taxpayer pay for their accident/incompetence/lack of judgement?

manvstarmac

Those immediately railing against mtb-ears for even considering legal action probably aren’t considering that we might be talking about someone facing life as a paraplegic because of another person or company’s actions or inactions.

Being found to be negligent has a pretty high bar, if my law lectures from many years ago have been remembered correctly:

1. Does the other person owe you a duty of care?
    2. Has that duty of care been breached?
    3. Has there been actual damage?

The high bar comes from number 2. In the example a previous forum member has given, it’s possibly not enough simply for the water barrier to be dangerous in itself and positioned in a position that makes it difficult to miss, but needs:

i. Riders to have hit it in the past and fallen
    ii. The problem to have been reported
    iii. Nothing to have been done

Imagine you hit that barrier, fell, and hurt yourself so badly you couldn’t continue to support yourself. Then imagine you find out that a number of people had done the same in the past, reported it, but the landowner had done nothing. Can you really say you wouldn’t sue?

Obviously this example is miles and miles from a rider going too fast into a corner, loses it, and heads off the trail and hits a tree, or countless other examples that might happen if you chose to ride your bike off road. In most of those situations the duty of care will not have been broken and any solicitor worth their salt will tell you that. Even the ‘no win, no fee’ companies ought not to be pursuing frivolous claims as their time is better spent on cases they can actually win.

So, in reply to the OP, I’m pleased to say I’ve never found myself in a position where I’ve considered it, but I wouldn’t ever rule it out.

nickjb
    Free Member

If it’s not someone else’s fault why should the taxpayer pay for their accident/incompetence/lack of judgement?

huh!? If it is not someone else’s fault then they won’t be found liable also suing may mean the insurer pays rather than the nhs/taxpayer

br
    Free Member

If were an unsanctioned trail on private land where the incident occurred, then I wouldn’t sue unless I were facing a difficult future. Likewise if it were a traditional trail centre.

Wouldn’t sue unless…

FFS take responsibility for YOUR actions, and please go find a ‘safer’ hobby – or at least one where you won’t go and **** it up for the rest of us!

drlex
    Free Member

Good article, chiefgrooveguru – thanks for the link.

leffeboy

I like this bit

i. Riders to have hit it in the past and fallen
    ii. The problem to have been reported
    iii. Nothing to have been done

It seems to sort of say it isn’t enough that you as an organiser think something is ok. If people who are riding it are having problems and you aren’t dealing with them then you have a problem. Maybe you need to change the feature or put better warnings up but you have to do something

and good article. Added to reading list

theotherjonv

I think part of the problem is that if people get those types of life changing injuries, or even substantial ones causing time off work and loss of earning for the self employed, then many have insurance that would cover it. But then it might be the insurance company in turn looking to pass on liability and recover their costs.

I suspect the number of private cases are tiny, and I’d be all for more of them to be submitted AND TRIED (not settled out of court) – with the courts then telling the claimant to sod off because they know the risks, etc. We know the risks and we know that sometimes it goes wrong. Don’t like that – take up knitting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If we think it’s such a risk, how many of us are insuring before that life changing injury?

shifter
    Free Member

Interesting question, I assume coming from the Lee Quarry thread. Do charity-funded air ambulances really sue to cover costs?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How many of us would object to a system whereby you get a big bill for mountain rescue or air ambulance, but you could cover it with a small annual premium?

I’d be happy with that if it helps ensure the service would be there if needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have insurance that covers me for accidents that results in life changing injuries.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I agree might be more prudent isf we all take out a wee insurance premium of say £30 er year to cover the ambulance and thos unfortunate enough to get a serious life altering risk

I am unlikely to sue but if say i was 20 foot up a wooden platform and it broke plummeting me to the ground and breaking my kneck i think i probably would.

Falling off because my confidence exceeded my skill is just my fault.

br
    Free Member

I have insurance that covers me for accidents that results in life changing injuries.

But you don’t live in the UK.

We live in a country where you don’t get charged to be taken off a mountain, nor do you pay (at point of delivery) for healthcare – consequently there is less of a need/want to pay for premiums.

Also, when I last looked at money-covering insurance, it was upwards of 10% for the premium and would only cover for a maximum of 12 months.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Somebody tried suing Oulton Park after they ran out of talent and their motorbike ran off the circuit and then cartwheeled to destruction on a track day. They wanted damages as the grass was too bumpy causing the bike to cartwheel. FFS!

Fortunately they lost.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Let’s say, for example, there was a kerbstone deep waterbar placed right where you wouldn’t expect it, just around a bend on a fast stretch of at marked trail or bridleway, That had been hit by several riders previously, and reported, but the landowner had done nothing about

This must be a toll. It’s a bridleway. You go as fast as you can see. It’s not up to the land owner to place drainage in respect to “fast sections”.

seadog101

How many of us would object to a system whereby you get a big bill for mountain rescue or air ambulance, but you could cover it with a small annual premium?

A little off topic, but… My Dad got lost up a mountain in Spain, bivvied himself up for the night and waited for first light. During the night he could see that he has being searched for, but was missed, despite using his whistle etc..

When he made it back to the village in the morning, the police went through his kit to make sure he was adequately prepared for his jolly jaunt in the hills. All the right kit so no fine was imposed.

A very sensible system, making sure people are able to deal with the situations they may come across. Not a bad idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But you don’t live in the UK.
    We live in a country where you don’t get charged to be taken off a mountain, nor do you pay (at point of delivery) for healthcare – consequently there is less of a need/want to pay for premiums.
    And when I lived in the UK I had cover, check out something like bmc membership. It covered for things like disablement loss of limb etc.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I smell troll in the OP

nickjb
    Free Member

Would you claim on it though? There’s a good chance the insurer would sue the land owner to recover their costs.

ninfan
    Free Member

This must be a toll. It’s a bridleway. You go as fast as you can see. It’s not up to the land owner to place drainage in respect to “fast sections”.

So if there was a six foot wide hole in the road, that the council knew about but didn’t do anything – and you drove your car into it without seeing it, then its your fault for driving faster than you could see?

cynic-al
    Free Member

This topic is great for letting me know who’s morally superior.

b r winning so far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What negligence would that be? For something like climbing it’s hard to blame the landowners for some bodies mistake. Going on what was outlined before how you would manage to prove that it was a landowners fault would be a great effort.

gwaelod
    Free Member

any sensible risk based health insurance system would impose higher charges on people who do no sport/exercise

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘suing land owner / trail centre’ is closed to new replies.