Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Suicide on the increase and suicide amongst the young.
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Seriously, (btw , not read whole thread) in Australia a while back they realised that young suicides were rising at an alarming rate, and something had to be done.

To cut a long story short they started the Mental Health First Aid course. It now operates in other countries including the UK.

MHFA

I idea is, just as every workplace has at least one trained first aider, a trained mental health first aider should also be available.

If you’re reading this, and you are in a decision making position in your business, think of your happiest employee, your hardest working employee, your longest serving employee, you’re most loyal employee…and then think how you’d cope without them. Do you even know if they have serious mental health issues? Can you tell? Why not?

Edit. I’m not connected in any way with MHFA although I do volunteer for the charity MIND and hence have been on the course.

project
    Free Member

Young lad recently married,went missing on sunday from near by,a body found this morning in woods.

So very sad,he was loosing his job, must have just been to much for him.

Reality strikes nearby.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I often thinks its very difficult to understand the pressures on life the next generation feel, even those only 10 years younger, how they measure themselves and view themselves.

I think it often takes feeling secure in life to actually afford the space to stand back and see what is actually important but when jobs, lack of mortgages, feeding kids are so hard to do at times and so often the things folk are measured by its easy to see how some struggle.

Either way, until you are in a place you can’t see out of its difficult to understand.

gmex619
    Free Member

In my opinion. Young people are segregated from the rest of the population as a percentage let the rest of us down. Teenagers are left in a position where the general skills and qualifications aren’t enough too get them a job they can use as a career (unless you want to work in a fast food chain for the rest of your life). Also college places are getting more and more scarce and the qualifications you get from them mean even less. I have all of the qualifications in theory too become a parts salesman. But there’s nothing about. At all. I don’t write a brilliant CV so I’m overlooked for jobs constantly.

Youth employment is high because older people are working longer and until they’re older, leaving fewer positions open for new people.

So young people are being put into a position where they are claiming money and being denied it because they are being sent for jobs that aren’t there. Putting them into a hole that’s impossible to get out of.

I predict in the next 5 years youth homelessness and suicides will increase as jobs become even more scarce and more people are refused benefits. The only glimmer in the darkness is that the government will pay you JSA if you’re working full time in a charity shop.

Moses

There is a very strong correlation between inequality in a society, and suicide rates. It tends to affect the poor more, as they suffer continual low-level stress from being metaphorically shat upon.

To some extent, blame Thatcher, Blair & Cameron

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

I attempted last year, if it wasn’t for a good friend and the NHS i wouldnt be here now.

I do think it needs to be talked about more.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Youth employment is high because older people are working longer and until they’re older, leaving fewer positions open for new people.

For as long as I can remember I’ve been criticising the constant political party bickering over unemployment rates. Unemployment is always going to rise as ‘progress’ and automation means it takes less people to do any given job. Sure, you can stick a few million on courses so they don’t show as ‘unemployed’ but that only fools some of the people all the time, or all the people some of the time.

The only way to create jobs is to nationalise (and renationalise) some industries and instead of focusing on cutting production costs and raising profits, instead focus on getting people working.

Modern life can be so much harder I think. Within seconds you can be on the internet browsing someones photos to see just how very much greener the grass really is elsewhere. I’ll bet some people never knew what they were missing out on until the internet showed them.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I think the pressures of exams and revision can have an impact. At 15 you’re told your future relies almost solely on how many facts you can remember in one hour on a random day. At the same time, there are less and less things to aim for and aspire towards.

At the same time for me my mother had been getting more and more ill over the past few years before passing away about a month before I turned 15. At the time, I wasn’t really comfortable with sharing that with people, but also wasn’t good at hiding it. This led to people just thinking I was being an ass and meant I had even less people to confide in when the worst happened.

Personally, the idea of suicide to me never lasted more than a moment. I’ve never had faith and believe that once I die, that’s it. Seeing how much of an effect my mum had on other people (the chapel was packed out of the doors) made me realise just how much you can manage, even in fifty years. I can see how others with the same feelings of isolation would seriously contemplate it though, and it was thanks to a few good, understanding friends that kept me in control of my thoughts.

Even now, nearing 18 I still can’t say I feel content most of the time, but I find trying to show a happy face even when you’re not means people are more likely to stick around as nobody really wants to be around someone who’s always seeing the downsides to everything.

In all, I can’t say I’m surprised that suicide rates are increasing for younger people. The pressures to do well in terms of studying and jobs combined with the fact that there seem to be less ‘Good Things’ actually happening in the world to inspire and less prospects mean that someone of that particular state of would probably take a lot less of a push now than ever before.

Oops, sorry about the essay, but I was going to either say it all or say nothing.

igrf
    Free Member

Well thanks to all of you for taking the time and courage to post, I must admit, I’m frankly quite staggered that so many of you have come to the point that you’ve contemplated it, let alone sharing that fact here, I am truly touched and don’t quite know how to respond.
    I guess I don’t really have the balls to out my own inner thoughts on the subject, like a lot of my generation we keep a tight lid on those sort of thoughts and have the value set that we are geared to take whatever life throws at us and nothing should be so bad we would consider it, which of course is total bullshit and just the conditioning of the period.

All I would say to you really young ones, is that life will send you ups and downs and generally in equal measure, there’s a little ying yang sign which kind of means that I always felt (It doesn’t it’s some whole other mysticism about opposing life forces) anyway I’m blathering here now, what i mean to say is there is a way out if you look for it, usually at a total tangent. Think of down curves as a spiral you just have to break out of, by if necessary doing something dramatic, (other than topping yourself) if it’s a woman there are plenty more where they come from equally desperate to meet someone like you.

Ignoring the bullshit you read here on anti faith threads, you do really need to form a belief as to what it is all about and the best way to do that is study a few of the Eastern ideas (they’ve been around longer than us) personally i came up with a half assed theory between re-incarnation and the Force that would take far too long to explain and noone would believe anyway so pointless, it just serves me. My counsel to you would be look for something, your life does and should matter in the greater scheme of things so chucking it away is just a total waste and a set back, if you do believe in the ongoing soul thing – whatever, it has helped me. I’ve made and lost several small fortunes, lost a wife, father, son, mother in that order, experienced death first hand and a hint of an afterlife which re-enforced my theory and have experienced that zone, the place you achieve at the very peak of sport performance when things happen you just cannot explain why, you just knew they were going to occur before they did. The spiritual side of it, again pointless to explain to anyone other than others who have experienced it. My point, life is a great gift and there is so much to grasp outside of working for the man and taking hold of it is in your gift.

There, enough of this, I’ve said more than I should, this is a very deep thread, I hope there is something contained within for all of us, thank you all once again.

Spongebob
    Free Member

augustey – please mate hang in there..

A shockingly bad choice of word!

simmy
    Free Member

I too think about it regular, things just seem too much sometimes and I know I blow small things out of perspective.

But, I also think why should I ? I’ve got so much to do and see, hopefully, before I snuff it.

I’m defiantly a glass half full person and a while ago I lost the plot and ended up on pills for anxiety. It still plays a big part in my life daily but I refused to get hooked on pills as some workmates told me they are not a permanent solution.
    Without any disrespect to anyone who takes them.

2 things will never leave me. My best mate said ” people makes mistakes, why do we have erasers ” & ” if you have a broken arm, you’d go and get it plastered so why be ashamed of getting help “

These pulled me through. Like I said, I still get worked up about nothing and I know I suffer anxiety, but as long as I can manage it by either turning the tunes in the car up or getting out on the bike, I will remain OK

Think I mean glass half empty lol you know always negative

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Simmy. Sometimes pills are the right answer. Have another chat with your GP. Please don’t listen to workmates. They may mean well but may not know what they are talking about.
    I don’t know what I’m talking about either but a trained GP will know how to proceed.

yunki
    Free Member

A shockingly bad choice of word!

I guess so.. a mate’s son hung hung himself earlier this year 🙁

I refused to get hooked on pills as some workmates told me they are not a permanent solution.

your mates are correct to a certain degree, but you shouldn’t be worried about getting hooked on prescription medication in the UK.. there are only a handful of meds that are addictive, and GPs are very restricted about prescribing them..

certainly any long term prescription would not be for an addicitive medication

(I don’t take any medication myself but have done in the past during times of acute illness)

hora
    Free Member

Yunki dont be quick to say all GPs are good. It took me years to find the only practice that CARE about patient care

yunki
    Free Member

Aye.. maybe you’re right Hora

If I’m honest I’d recommend coke and hookers first anyway

gonefishin
    Free Member

Although I cant say anything positive as such. Imagine you are 45 and single. 29, you are bloody young.

You know this comment reminds me of some of unintentionally hurtful things that people can say. When saying something in public you might want to consider how other people might react. I’m not 45 yet, but I’m not far off, and whilst I’ve never actively considered killing myself, I have in the past had very serious thoughts along the lines that my not being around wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m so surprised that such a large proportion of STW members have considered suicide, when everyone on here is so easy going, light hearted and laid back. Live and let live sorts.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Tbh, I do think that there are a large portion of society that are not fully happy in their lives, there is a tendency to put on a brave face and get on with it; speaking from my own personal perspective! My friends all seem to think I’ve done really well but there are 1 or 2 really good friends who know the truth and keep a watchful eye on me, even to the point where I’ll just get a friendly 2 minute phone call. Seems easier to talk to people on here about this than it has been to talk to anyone else, it may be down to the fact that I cannot see your faces or it may be down to the fact that you are strangers to me.

Work hasn’t actually affected the situation nor has money, I have a very good job and a good income, my situation really stems from family issues (not close in the slightest) and my breakup from my wife. Basically she decided to announce to me at my best friends wedding that she didn’t want to be married to me anymore. Basically she said I had let myself go (12st and 32″ waist), I’ve apparently got a massive OCD complex (I like a clean house and I’m house proud, yes I did majority of the cleaning), oh and to top it off I’m boring (we had just got back from Morzine and just had a week in Scotland; had a right laugh on both occasions). I’ve been told by impartials that she is full of $h1t but it doesn’t stop you thinking about such hurtful things. Worst bit of it all is that she won’t let me see my beloved boxer (like a child to me), I di everything for that dog so obviously that is a massive change in my life!

I am “hanging in there” (actually that made me laugh), taking each day as it comes and keeping busy, job interview tomorrow for something else to focus on, higher position no doubt with increased pressure but I definitely need a new challenge. Need to speak to the ex regarding the house and the divorce, part of me thinks it better to ignore the situation as it really does affect me but the other part knows I need a complete clean break. I’m finding that I’m definitely riding alot more now, getting out on the moors with my music on and just riding for miles certainly takes your mind off things, only issue with that is it was a shared interest with the ex but one that I enjoy so much!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

when everyone on here is so easy going, light hearted and laid back. Live and let live sorts.

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.”

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Seems easier to talk to people on here…

Of course. Always far easier to talk openly to someone who you have no association with. They have no expectations of you, and nothing you do or say will change the view they have of you, simply because they don’t already have a view of you.

igrf
    Free Member

Worst bit of it all is that she won’t let me see my beloved boxer (like a child to me),

That is a bit OTT, she obviously has or had someone else in mind, I’m wondering if that didn’t work out either, or why would she be wanting to hurt you more if you’ve loved her and set her free? I think that is outrageous, separating a man from his dog, kids well whatever they can argue the point, but dogs are captive, have you considered a spot of dognapping?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ignoring the bullshit you read here on anti faith threads, you do really need to form a belief…

There are thousands (if not millions) of depressed people worldwide (myself included) who have found relief though medication and counselling without having to resort to any belief system. Belief in oneself is the key.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…some workmates told me they are not a permanent solution.

I was diagnosed with Acute Bipolar Disorder a few years ago. I’m 47. I’d suffered since early childhood. I take daily medication, and I will until my dying day. I’m perfectly happy with that.

aguesty1
    Free Member

have you considered a spot of dognapping?

Yes I consider it all the time.

She’s actually with another guy that she works with, she works away a couple of nights a week and works at the same office he works at when she is away. Claims nothing happened prior to us splitting which I see as a load of twiddle. How do you come out of an 8 1/2 year relationship to start seeing someone 1 month after and has been seeing him since September. 2+2=4 in this situation methinks. Actually bumped into her on NYE coming out of a pub with this bloke and the dog. Completely messed me up, more to do with the dog as she wouldn’t even let me touch him!! I was with a couple of pals and they made certain that I didn’t go home, tbh it was probably best that they didn’t.

I was on medication about 12 years ago after I got kicked out of my parents house (I must come across as a right nob, I’m definitely not, it was more my step father than mother but still left a very bitter taste), they worked for a while but I decided to stop taking them and actually felt much better about myself. Here we are again though, debating going to the GP’s but at the same time I am never keen on AD’s.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

blame the govenment, blame society, blame women?!? but thats not how depression works is it?
    if your down because there is something horribly wrong that is a reaction, depression is being down because there is nothing specifically wrong but your day to day is unbearably sad.

tomorrow is another day though, some of my best tomorrows have come from nowhere during my deepest depression.
    ive always liked this parable when considering the future;

A father and his son owned a farm. They did not have many animals, but they did own a horse.
    One day the horse ran away.
    “How terrible, what bad luck,” said the neighbours.
    “Good luck, bad luck, who knows?” replied the farmer.
    Several weeks later the horse returned, bringing with him four wild mares.
    “What marvellous luck,” said the neighbours.
    The son began to learn to ride the wild horses, but one day he was thrown and broke his leg.
    “What bad luck,” said the neighbours.
    The next week the army came to the village to take all the young men to war.
    The
    farmer’s son was still disabled with his broken leg, so he was spared. “Good luck, bad luck, who knows?”

to anyone on here feeling the pinch, your welcome to pm me. im a stranger with no qualifications in this field other than my own experience but ill listen, and sometimes thats all it takes

mrsflash
    Free Member

Re the selfish act thing, for me, when I have been feeling my lowest ( and I must add a disclaimer that I have never been genuinely suicidal but the thought has been at the edge of my mind once or twice), the suicide option actually seems the opposite of selfish, as all I can see is what a burden I am to others and that their lives would be easier without me. Obviously that is completely ridiculous thinking, but that is what being depressed is like.

Simmy, sometimes pills are the right answer, they can put you in the right place to accept the other help there is out there. Without the pills, my CBT course would have been pointless.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

as mentioned above, the biggest increase is actually for men 49-59, its just that young men are much less likely to die of other things (eg heart probs)so the suicide figures stand out.

the best thing i ever did to combat suicidal feelings was get rid of the TV

rudebwoy
    Free Member

it is definitely a depressant, kind of sucks you into a torpor and mocks you at the same time–

igrf
    Free Member

aguesty1 – Member

She’s actually with another guy that she works with, she works away a couple of nights a week and works at the same office he works at when she is away. Claims nothing happened prior to us splitting which I see as a load of twiddle.

Yes that’s usually the way it goes, she was almost certainly involved with him whilst still with you, women rarely jump ship without an alternative in play. I’m still puzzled by her attitude to the dog, it leads me to guess the other guy is married and she can’t have him all to herself, anyway screw her she’s a bad un, you’re best out of it, move on, one day you’ll look back on this as a blessing.

Find someone else, I have to say I think I’d probably nick the dog, assuming you have the wherewithal to keep it somewhere, possession is probably 9 parts of the law and you can always say it’s yours, you bought it, or if you are really looking for vengeance there are lots of not very nice things you could do involving allegations of cruelty and the RSPCA, but personally I’d just grab the dog and set all that aside and if that’s not possible then get yourself a rescue dog, one to ride with.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Funny that, I watch very little. I just find most of it so mind numbingly banal.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

A father and his son owned a farm. They did not have many animals, but they did own a horse.
    One day the horse ran away.
    “How terrible, what bad luck,” said the neighbours.
    Several weeks later the horse returned, bringing with him four wild mares.
    “What marvellous luck,” said the neighbours.
    The son began to learn to ride the wild horses, but one day he was thrown and broke his leg.
    “What bad luck,” said the neighbours.
    The next week the army came to the village to take all the young men to war.
    The
    farmer’s son was still disabled with his broken leg, so he was spared. “Good luck, bad luck, who knows?”

I like that. Nice post.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

There are thousands (if not millions) of depressed people worldwide (myself included) who have found relief though medication and counselling without having to resort to any belief system. Belief in oneself is the key.

Belief in oneself is the key though for some a belief system gives them the strength to believe in themselves.

Some of the happiest, most grounded people I know have faith and its the hope it gives people in times suffering which means that, while not of faith myself, I never belittle others for having it in their lives.

Whatever gets you through the night brother.

bwaarp
    Free Member

as hinted at above, certain demographics will put themselves in dangerous positions on purpose… a war is a good way to do this. i’ve known people eat and smoke on purpose in an effort to kill themselves slowly so people wouldn’t think they committed suicide (shame) in fact a guy less than 20 meters from me upped his cigarettes to over 25grams of tobacco a day in an effort to get lung cancer.

Yup, I’d wager those of us who enjoy risky activities have a higher ‘death drive’ than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_drive

Interesting wiki

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I never belittle others for having it in their lives.

Whatever gets you through the night brother.

Which, for me, in relation to religion, is trying to bring an end to the very many wrongs carried out in the name of various religions (mutilation of children genitals, homophobia, subjugation of women, wars, etc). If it takes belittling people to do that, so be it.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I will just make one comment on the “suicide as a selfish act” point that often comes out in these discussions. No, it is not selfish. What you are claiming, when you say that to someone who is depressed and suicidal, is that they have an obligation to put someone else’s concerns and happiness above their own. You are effectively telling them that it is their job to extend their own misery just to satisfy someone else, and that is the most perverse thing you can say to someone so deep in their own nest of irrational despair. All it does is deepen their problems tenfold.

I dumped one of my ex’s a few years ago because she did this to someone.

Couldn’t handle the intellectual ignorance.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It’s not for this thread Tucker but I think you confuse the evil acts of humans and their interpretation of religion as an excuse for their actions with most religions original intent and teachings.

hora
    Free Member

Mrsflash BANG ON. +1

Hobster
    Free Member

Some very thought provoking words on this thread and my thoughts are with anyone affected by this.

What has surprised me recently is how quickly a series of events can overtake you and the speed with which how you lose the perspective to see the wood from the trees and with it the ability to pick yourself up without external help. Luckily I was coerced into seeking help by my partner before things got too bad although I still take things a day at a time.

Whilst outside the demographic mentioned by the OP I can certainly see why people feel they have no choice but to take their own life and unfortunately don’t seek help (or don’t feel they are worthy of help) with the associated stigma.

Unfortunately one only has to look at the suicide rates in Greece, Italy and Spain to see what impact an economic downturn can have across all age groups.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Suicide on the increase and suicide amongst the young.’ is closed to new replies.