Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Sugar crash/insulin spike – ideas?
  • hora
    Free Member

I can’t eat chocolate or sugar-based products. Its by far worse if I do so and do any sort of activity afterwards. For instance on a ride if someone gave me Haribo within 30mins I’d be a mess.

If I ate something now within the hour I’d need to start eating lots ongoing to get rid of the shakes/hunger/feeling.

Why? Am I pre-diabetic or similar? I can eat simple musueli (not the high-sugar versions)- even though it has carb/sugar content I’ll go for 4-5hours and be ok.

What gives?

scotroutes

Carbs in muesli are relatively slow release compared with chocolate or sweets (the stuff I eat has no added sugar). Anything else you eat with your carbs slows the absorption rate too.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bad cat AIDS.

scaredypants

If I ate something now within the hour I’d need to start eating lots ongoing to get rid of the shakes/hunger/feeling.

If that’s genuinely how you get, then maybe something isn’t right. If you mean you feel a bit peckish now that you’ve had a snack, well, it’s OK to be hungry.

hora
    Free Member

Its not a peckish. For instance I wont eat until 10amish- I’ll feel hungry till then. Will eat my breakie (tuna baguette) then I’ll be fine till 2pmish when I’ll eat my bowl of musueli/yoghurt ontop. Fine till about 7pmish.

If I ate a choc bar or say Muffin etc in there somewhere. Sheesh its mental.

I had a piece of homemade rocky road yesterday about 5pmish- I had to eat quite a few digestives to balance out.

julians
    Free Member

Its because you havent complained that there is something wrong with your latest set of forks for at least 3 months, buy a new set and all will be well again.

hora
    Free Member

Thats because I’m running 2015 Fox 34’s. Wait 3months and the stanchions will be **** 😀

scaredypants

Hora, if I ate a choc bar or a muffin now I’d soon be heading out & about looking for more. That’s because I’m a glutton; no shaking unless the vending machine breaks down.

You could always buy a glucose testing kit off Amazon and post up your half-hourly results !

(in what way are digestives a sensible food for someone with sugar “issues” ?)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Eat less sugar.. It’s hidden in a surprising amount of foods hidden as various guises.

hora
    Free Member

in what way are digestives a sensible food for someone with sugar “issues”

Surprisingly sweet-tasting. Keep the sugar-shakes away/lessens them too!

scaredypants

they’re 17% sugar 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

In your position I would make an appointment to see a medical professional.

Crazy eh!

hora
    Free Member

In your position I would make an appointment to see a medical professional.

Why though- I’m fine as long as I don’t touch the high sugar products. I can ride 3hours now on a Sat morning on just a bacon butty.

I’m guessing(?) I’ve somehow become hypersensitive to refined/processed? sugar?

Northwind

hora – Member

Why? Am I pre-diabetic or similar?

You sound super-non-diabetic tbh. Pre- and T2-diabetics can sometimes go reactive hypo, but that doesn’t sound like what you have, that usually follows really large intakes of carbs and isn’t too fussed about gi.

Go and see a doctor. There’s a bunch of things that can cause hypoglycaemia in non-diabetics and some of them suck.

fasthaggis

I am not a doctor, but it sounds like there is something seriously wrong with you. Get an appointment with your GP before you collapse on a hill somewhere. No point pudding yourself at risk.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bad Pudding?

CheesybeanZ

How does fruit affect you ? Fructose sugar compared to refined sugar .

tomd
    Free Member

Get yourself to the doctor

hora
    Free Member

How does fruit affect you ? Fructose sugar compared to refined sugar .

Nothing. Not one bit. Even a shed load of chopped up pineaple. When I’m at the supermarket I’ll often by a pear and two apples and eat them on the drive home.

allthepies
    Free Member

As I said, it was just a crazy proposal, feel free to ignore it 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I know what the Doc will say- so you are sensitive to refined sugar products? Then don’t eat them! 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

i think i know i’ve got an inkling what Hora is on about.

i know what ‘hunger’ feels like, it’s annoying, but i can get by for a few hours.

but now and then (usually after i’ve eaten something*), my blood sugar will crash, and i’ll become a shaky, (cold)sweaty, confused mess. something like a jam sandwhich will sort me out.

i’ve asked my GP, who ignored it.

(*among other things i haven’t identified, rice seems to do it)

Harry_the_Spider

I recommend a cheese or cold meat platter and a punch in the mouth.

I am not a doctor.

cchris2lou

I have something similar if I eat a bar of chocolate just before playing squash or running, I’ll have 5 minutes feeling like I’m going to pass out, shaking, blurred vision. It just seems to go away and I m back to normal. I just avoid very sugary food before an activity.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve somehow become hypersensitive to refined/processed? sugar?

i kind of know what you mean now.

when i did idave properly and swerved sugar/ carbs for 6 days at a time. I was ok on the cheat day as i’d have toast/ cereal for breakfast which would ease me into it. but on an off day give me a couple of sweets or a cake would result in buzz, crash, cravings. sometimes with accompnying headaches. not great.

hora
    Free Member

and swerved sugar/ carbs

Not sure if this could help/be part of it but a while ago I stopped having a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate every single day after lunch. I then stopped eating rice and pasta (fullstop). The only carbs I really get now are from bread and the museuli.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Egg on toast usually gets me in a mess, yolk in my beard, down my front and toast crumbs everywhere.
    On a more serious note, why would anyone want to eat sugar loaded crap anyway?

fasthaggis

I recommend getting this thread up to 10 pages by ignoring all helpful advice*,then doing a massive about turn and going with a suggestion on post 12 of the first page.

* A bit like most of your cry for help
    threads

HTH

zippykona

I’m similar and my doctor’s diagnosis was “you’re just one of those people.”
    Jam doughnut, rocky road ,certain flap jacks ,I can almost see the badness in them that will make me feel shit.
    Sausages or brown bread with peanut butter to level me out.

hora
    Free Member

I recommend getting this thread up to 10 pages by ignoring all helpful advice*,then doing a massive about turn and going with a suggestion on post 12 of the first page.

That only works on my ‘what roabike kit’ threads 😉

Everything else I’m a bobby dazzler.

Northwind

zippykona – Member

I’m similar and my doctor’s diagnosis was “you’re just one of those people.”

Yeah, but this is a change and quite a dramatic one.

soobalias
    Free Member

hora, try a choccy bar for breakfast, im guessing you will spend all day hunting more sugar.

footflaps

I’m not a doctor, but it sounds like you’re just a bit shit. You can get meds to help you feel better about being a bit shit, but ultimately you just meed to come to terms with it.

IHTH.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I had seven years of a similar feeling and being tested I should add for diabetes before finally developing Type 2. I would have real issues keeping my blood sugar stable but was during that time commuting 18 miles each way on the bike, then 20 minute run and 20 minute rowing……..this was after packing up playing rugby during which time I used to most weeks play two/three matches a week ( in school years sometimes two matches on a Saturday and one on a Sunday) plus training every day I wasn’t playing be it in the gym or pitch.
    We had a nurse come round at work doing a well man clinic and she commented just how fit I appeared to be ie heart rate/ lung function but when she worked out how many calories I actually needed for my activity levels it was no wonder I ended up wearing out or becoming insensitive to my bodies insulin production.
    so in short as others have said, go visit the docs and get some proper checks done. Hope it turns out to be nothing for you!

stever
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure we agreed that you were going to buy a job lot of Haribos off me. I took them off sale and have been patiently waiting your reply. Now you’re telling me your allergic to Haribo or something?

hora
    Free Member

Suggsey are you saying your calorie intake had to be high to sustain your activity, or low? Did you eat well or junk in that mix?

benp1

You sound odd

But research the Glycaemic Index, its good to understand when you’re eating

ampthill

I had a similar thing. Reacting badly to simple sugar

But its quite a bit better now, possibly as life is less stressful. Job change

Might be worth chatting to your GP. Have you had any blood sugars checks. Is it possible for to much sugar to induce these symptoms?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’d swap in a new liver, pancreas and kidneys. Drain all your blood out and replace with a decent branded Crocodile blood (+5 hora power).

I’d get a map check on that bone marrow, and your CSF fluid probably needs a top up: we all know your backbone is a bit dodgy at the best of times squire.

Really of course, you know its only good for another 4 years. Tops.

hora
    Free Member

Hang on- it only happens when I eat sweets or other sugar products on an empty stomach. i.e. mid-ride or during the day etc.

If I eat a big piece of cake with a meal. Nothing.

So the crash happens because my body is trying to use the sweet/sugar for sole-fuel and??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Sugar crash/insulin spike – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.