Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 220 total)
  • STW Motorbike rideout
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Burger – no e-mail in shedbrewed’s profile

Shedbrewed – if you want to drop me an e-mail I’m at gileyd <at> hotmail <dot> com

Cheers

solamanda
    Free Member

Might have been up for this but I’m out of the country. Next time see if I can make it.

AndyRT
    Free Member

bump in search of getting our two intrepid trail blazers working together so we can start getting excited upon our route 😀

Also, do we want to start planning who is coming from where, and meeting on the way?

PeterPoddy and Mrs Poddy and I come from Hampshire, so presumably could meet on the way?

Could try to make the trip over to the west(ish)country less of a square off rear tyre session and more of a fun filled run?

Anyone else from the Saaarth coming?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Guys, it looks like I might be spoken for that weekend. Either way have a look at this route and see what you think. Some clichéd bits are in there like the A466, but there’s ice cream at Tintern abbey…The Rockfield road out of Monmouth to Abergavenny is a nice one, in Aber there’s the bus station for tea and wee, out of Aber head through Crickhowell and then take a right on the A479 Talgarth road. A nice set of bends, but watch yourself on some of them. I deposited my Ten into a hedge here. After Talgarth loop back on yourselves towards Llangors lake and down to the A40 at Bwlch where there is a wicked long left as you leave the 30 limit. Don’t ramp it up too much though as you will be taking a right, though it appears to be straight on) off one of the bends towards Llangynidr. This road will take you down and across a beautiful narrow bridge and then up and out of Llangynidr where you briefly rejoin the B4558. Keep an eye out for the sign for Beaufort off to your right, and swing up there into possibly my favourite road of the route. As you climb up Mynydd Llangattwg the road opens up and you get great vistas, but watch out as there are sheep, and also delicious well surfaced hairpins. Several places to pull in off the road for admiring the view, or taking a leak. Back on and take the left towards Llangattock. This is a fast piece of road, for those that think they’ve got balls. Blind rises and bumpy surfaces will have you questioning if you want to wind the throttle all the way back. I’ll leave that choice to you…
    After coming down into Llangattock and cresting the canal bridge, hang a right by the traffic lights and head to Gilwern on the A4077. Enjoy the gloom under the trees and swear at the nanny state double whites. At the roundabout with the A465, head to Govilon and then once through Govilon take a right towards Blaenavon. The road climbs and the surface is not the best in places, but it rewards commitment. Again once up top there are places to stop and take a breather and drink in the views.
    As you come back down into Blaenavon you pass the old Ironworks site with it’s forboding furnace buildings, and the restored cottages that were used in the BBC’s Coalhouse series. If you like hot chocolate, take a left at the traffic lights and visit Choc’s Away on Broad Street for a delicious hot choc and cupcake. Otherwise straight on and towards Varteg. After passing under the restored railway bridge the road swings left, over a cattle grid and then opens up. Like the earlier section to Llangattock, this is a quick bit, but with blind bends. I love charging along here at the ton, fighting the wind as it blows through the valley.
    Slowing for the 30 there’s a few bends and then a chippy on the right if needed.
    This part is probably the slowest and dullest, head down into Abersychan, hang a right to Pontypool, down onto the A472, then a bit of the A4042. Take a left into New Inn, a right up Jerusalem Lane at the yellow old folks home, then at the crest, right to Llandegveth reservoir. A few cheeky bends and then down to the dam. Across the dam and hairpin right takes you back up the hill. Stay straight through Coed y Paen and keep going straight on, including through the strange bend junction, until you come to a Tee Junction. Take a left to Usk. At the bridge by the petrol station take a right. Pass through Usk and then before the A40 take a left to Chepstow. Stay on this road all the way to the Racecourse garage, where a right will take you back out of Chepstow to the M48.
    Enjoy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy and Mrs Poddy and I come from Hampshire, so presumably could meet on the way?

Yes, good idea. You’re in Winchester IIRC?

We could come your way, then up toward Salisbury/Bath way I guess, but that is adding a chunk to what is already a 330-360 mile day for us….

geordiemick00
    Free Member

any excuse for a track day shot 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is that a very big man or a very tiny bike?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

big bloke on a big bike!!! Buell didn’t sell too many of them cos you needed to be over 6ft to get your leg over one!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shall we have a roll call?

Me + Mrs PP (Ducati ST3s) Farnborough, Hants
    Andy RT (Ducati MS) Winchester, Hants
    AKAGilo (Touono) Brizzle
    MKChris (Transalp) “Far end of M4”
    oldGrump08 (bike?) Northants
    Superfi (bike?) ???
    Dickyboy (bike?) ???
    Shedbrewed – Probably not 🙁

Any more?
    Copy the list and add yourself to it, then repost 🙂

EDIT
    Anyboy got any more than 2 cylinders? 😉

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Cheers Peter,I’m a definate.

I may try and check out the route Shedbrewed has given us over the next couple of weekends if the weather is nice…

Chris

Dickyboy

Anyboy got any more than 2 cylinders?

Only 1.5 cylinders on the Guzzi Centauro at the moment – still waiting for new head gasket – mind you went from Wycombe to Pembroke & back like that thinking it was the exhaust gasket blowing 😳

AndyRT
    Free Member

PP I was thinking we could meet basingstoke way and head over from there. Agree it would b o just get there and enjoy the tour.

Rather than m4, we could go on the a4, bu it would take longer….

It’s a shame shedbrewed can’t make it. I’ll raise an ice-cream to your absence on the day.

Hope the Guzzi makes it.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Let’s hope it’s not (too) cold or wet on the day. On Saturday when we went up the Upper Chapel Rd between Brecon and Builth Wells it dropped down to 6degC – my fingers were pretty numb!

If we go up the Talgarth Rd we can stop at the Honey Pot cafe – good food and cracking homemade cake. 🙂

oldgrump08
    Free Member

3 cylinders…..
    Thinking I will ride over x-country, have a cuppa with you then head back!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

aka_Gilo – Member
    If we go up the Talgarth Rd we can stop at the Honey Pot cafe – good food and cracking homemade cake.

Agreed, I normally stop there on the way to the Dragon Rally each Feb.
    What date is it? 29th/30?

superfli
    Free Member

Must check with the boss 1st, but assuming its a yes, then I’ll be there. AndyRT, I can meet you in Winch. I’m down the road in Denmead – Morestead rd, my fav and a nice warmup 🙂

AKAGilo (Touono) Brizzle
    Superfli (GSXR750K8) Waterlooville, Hants
    Dickyboy (bike?) ???
    Shedbrewed – Probably not

Northwind

Huh, this is the first time since I parked mine I’ve wanted to get it back out. Must… resist… expensive…urge…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

shedbrewed – Member
    What date is it? 29th/30?

I’m working on the 29th (Saturday) – riding in Wales on a Sunday is a pita ime, too many police and too many Sunday drivers.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Erm…. when I say “working on”, I mean assuming that’s the date we are planning, not that I am in work that day. Perish the thought…..

anagallis_arvensis

AKAGilo (Touono) Brizzle
    Superfi (bike?) ???
    Dickyboy (bike?) ???
    Shedbrewed – Probably not

Any more?
    Copy the list and add yourself to it, then repost

EDIT
    Anyboy got any more than 2 cylinders?

I would love to come but dont have the time and would undoubtedly breakdown. I only have one cylinder.

AndyRT
    Free Member

It’s all coming together. It’s bot cold out there yet. Haven’t turned on heated grips yet…

AndyRT
    Free Member

Morestead road is indeed a corked! Beats 272 but shhhhhhhhhh!

Could meet you either at Basingstoke or wherever the Poddys fancy?

superfli
    Free Member

Slight issue, I can only do 29th Oct. Its Great South Run on 30th, I forgot.

Yes I can meet wherever around that way. We could all meet at Percy Hobbs/Harvester pub if you fancy? On the Roundabout by the tech centre outside Winch. Its on the way down from Farnborough (A31).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You two sort out a meet point then let me know where it is, yeah? 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

29th works better for me too, as the traffic back east, in the evening/afternoon will be a lot better than Sunday.

I’m not dictating terms though, so is there an issue with the 29th for anyone?

AndyRT
    Free Member

OH, [double post oops 😳 ]

Lets meet at Starbucks at Sainsbury’s in Badger Farm winchester. Its a fuel stop too, and comfy seating whilst waiting for you.

Its here

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, cool. 🙂

Time? 10-ish? Earlier? Later?

29th is best for me too 🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

10ish is fine by me.

Coffee orders?

That means we’ll be getting to Wales at about midday.

Do we have a decision upon meeting location there?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That means we’ll be getting to Wales at about midday.

That’s what I was thinking 🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

aka_Gilo, Where is the best place for us to meet?

Oldgrump is joining us for a cuppa on the border, or dipping his toe just over the border…so it would be good to make it a sociable destination, rather than just a ubiquitous motorway service station…

Thoughts?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Suggest Aust Services for meet, followed by cuppa with oldgrup at Aber bus station.

On phone so fuller reply later.

Cheers

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

29th is fine for me.
    I have the least distance to travel so will be bouncing with caffeine when you arrive.
    Aust services fine for me too.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Aust services will be OK, I can cope with Costa coffee now and then… 😉

I’ve never ridden the bike over to Wales before, so imagine my happiness at not having to pay a toll 😀

aircooled
    Free Member

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum, I confess to being a champion lurker. I fancy an excuse for a last jolly on the bike before winter; I have a BMW R1150RS, I live in Reading so could meet up in Winchester, subject to permission from the wife who is away on holiday at present.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I penned the route linked in my post above from Aust.
    Still working on attending. Knobblies have gone on the Ten ready for winter so it’ll be the Triumph if I can wangle it.

AndyRT
    Free Member

hope you can SB. See you there…

superfli
    Free Member

Badgers farm Sainsbury’s is fine by me. See you there – might bring an old biking buddy along (havent been out on m/bike with him for a long time now, so it’d be rude not to ask).

Not seen the route yet, but will look at it later. Not ridden in Wales either, so should be fun new roads.

Heres hoping the weather is ok

AndyRT
    Free Member

aircooled

subject to permission from the wife who is away on holiday at present

The clue is in the text. Precedent is set. I’d say that was an automatic pink ticket! (permission to roam off campus unaccompanied)

Would you wish to meet us in Winch or try and spot us on the way? Or just head straight for Aust?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

wales is a bit too far for me, and anyway being minus 1 suspension strut would make it a bit iffy anyway- did someone mention up north for next spring? fort william-mallaig, ferry to skye, bridge back mainland, lochcarron, bealach na ba – applecross, than back via lochcarron and past eilean donan to follow the road back to fort william – google maps for directions fort william – mallaig – applecross – fort william then drop the wee man anywhere on the route.
    2 pots – aprilia rst futura

aircooled
    Free Member

AndyRT

I think it would be simplest to meet you at Winchester rather than introduce more variables, and although it means an earlier start it’s better than sitting on the M4 for aaaaages.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘STW Motorbike rideout’ is closed to new replies.