Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • STW – I need your help. Recipe ideas
  • scruff9252

So I might have recently bought a couple of Le Creuset ramekins, with lids. Nice wee things to match our cast iron roasting pot which gets heavily used. Thought I had done a GoodThing.

My wife was seemingly unimpressed with my recent purchase uttering comments like “WTF are your going to cook in them?” and “That’s just more clutter to choke up our cupboards” and “I bet you never use them”.

So, here’s the thing. I need recipe ideas as to what to use the lidded ramekins – Only used ramekins before for making Tartiflette, but you don’t use a lid for those. I’ve got a leg of lamb for dinner tonight / tomorrow so need to some inspiration as to what to make as sides showcasing the masterpiece of a lidded ramekin, that would be grand.

Thank you.

mashr

I’m with your wife on this one

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Creme brulee.

And frankly of that’s not a good enough answer there is something seriously awry in your house

IHN

Most. STW. Thing. Ever.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just put them at the back of the cupboard with the ice-cream maker and mango de-stoner and accept your wife can be right sometimes.

mogrim

Mix a can of diced tomatoes with a couple of crushed garlic cloves + some thyme + salt n’ pepper. Pour it into the ramekin. Then put some provolone cheese on top, with a splash of olive oil on top of that. Cook in the oven, and serve as a starter.

scruff9252

accept your wife can be right sometimes.

My wife is frequently right – what an odd assertion to imply about our relationship

scud
    Free Member

Lots of variations of baked eggs, love them with peas from garden:

Baked Eggs

Kramer
    Free Member

Creme brulee doesn’t need the lid. Neither does the tomato mess with cheese.

OP I’m with your wife. I’d stick them on ebay now.

johndoh
    Free Member

A few years ago in Greece, I had a really nice layered pasta dish – pasta, bolognese sauce, more pasta, shame, pasta, mushroom, pasta, cheese. It would probably need cooking with the lid on for the most part then take the lid off at the end to crisp up the cheese.

mogrim

Creme brulee doesn’t need the lid. Neither does the tomato mess with cheese.

Put the lid on before serving.

oldnpastit

Could you use them for melting putoline?  Coil up chain, add wax, leave in oven for thirty minutes. Lid will help keep the awful snell confined.

Edit. Another option is chocolate sponge with the middle still nicely runny.  Something like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_pudding_87861

Cougar

I thought ramekins were like 2″ across, a bit like Gu pots. Every day’s a school day.

slowoldman

I think this is what the lids are for – just show.

matt_outandabout

Most. STW. Thing. Ever.

Lots of variations of baked eggs, love them with peas from garden:

Of course someone had the answer…

J-R

Could you use them for melting putoline?

Most STW answer ever.

kayak23

Nice wee things to match our cast iron roasting pot which gets heavily used.

How about putting the full sized Le Creuset far away, then stand back and watch the hilarity unfold as your wife goes to pick it up and misses, thinking that it’s merely a small one?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think this is what the lids are for – just show.

I’m pretty sure that’s all Le cruset stuff not just lids (griddle pans being the exception that proves the rule).

mefty
    Free Member

We picked up some of those from the outlet store for £5 for 3, they sit in our cupboard but occasionally are used for baked eggs (with shrimps and capers a favourite of mine)

Rona

I have these – used for storing home-made ghee … the lids keep the dust off. I’ve also used them to bake an individual portion of fruit at breakfast time.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

An anagram of ramekin is ‘pointless back-of-the-cupboard fodder’. Spelt wrong.

Own your mistake.

Or make tiny Dutch oven loaves.

Or this… https://ourtableforseven.com/best-ramekin-recipes/

slowoldman

I’m pretty sure that’s all Le cruset stuff not just lids (griddle pans being the exception that proves the rule).

I have a Le Creuset cast iron pan with lid and a casserole, both see a lot of use. But I don’t have T5 or a coffee machine.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.