Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stupid iTunes!
  • glenh
    Free Member

Why has it put my ipad apps onto my wife's iphone?

Why can't it just realise that they are different devices?

How can I make it stop mixing stuff up between them? All I want to do is have the computer backup and sync a few things to my ipad and leave my wife to sync whatever she likes (which is unlikely to be what I want and vice versa 8) ).

Bloody Apple. I wish it was like my Android phone and I could just use the things as external drives and do what ever I like with my files.

mossimus
    Free Member

Setup a different user for the Ipad

glenh
    Free Member

Eh? I just plug it in and it does stuff.
    What user?

highclimber
    Free Member

turn auto sync off

glenh
    Free Member

But I want it to sync some stuff (both ipad and iphone), but different stuff for each.
    Surely that can't be difficult (although it clearly is for me 😯 )?

highclimber
    Free Member

in Itunes click Edit>Preferences>Devices and check the box that says 'prevent Ipods Ipads and Iphones from Syncing automatically'

highclimber
    Free Member

You can still sync but you do it when you want not when it detects a device

allthegear
    Free Member

Err, if you are two different people, wanting to do different things on your computer, just create two user accounts. It's not that hard. Then, iTunes will appear to be completely separate for each user and you can both do what you want.

If you don't like iTunes, why on Earth did you buy an iPhone and an iPad??? Seriously, don't buy into something you don't like.

Rachel

DrJ

Eh? You can specify what you want to sync for each device.

Plug in the device, wait till it is detected, click on it, and the preferences for that device are displayed. Set it how you like. Job done.

glenh
    Free Member

I didn't buy and iphone, my wife did!
    The ipad is currently the only decent touch screen tablet/slate (and I like the form factor).

I just can't see why it has to be so complicated. My android phone just mounts as a drive when I plug it in, so I can move things around as I see fit.

Anyway, I have selected things to sync for each device. However, last time my wife plugged her phone in it synced my ipad apps to her phone, despite never being asked to.

GrahamS

Why has it put my ipad apps onto my wife's iphone?

Yeah! I hate it when I buy an app and my wife gets it for free on her phone when she syncs. Damn you Apple – make her pay too!

Alternatively just go to the Apps tab on your device in iTunes and tick which apps you want on it – it ain't hard!

gonefishin
    Free Member

I just can't see why it has to be so complicated. My android phone just mounts as a drive when I plug it in, so I can move things around as I see fit.

Well in that case set up BOTH devices so that you manually manage everthing. It really isn't that complicated.

Eccles
    Free Member

First thing to do is to plug in an ipod and rename it in itunes, then do the same with the other one.

Afterwards it'll show up in the menu not as "iPod" but instead as "Humphrey Cheesegrater Smythe III" and be recognised by your sync prefernces as such.

That's the hypothesis, at least.

nickc

I just can't see why it has to be so complicated.

It's isn't, just spend some time learning how to use it. Even my 9 yr old daughter can do this sort of stuff*

*Oh no, hang on, she reads how to do it beforehand…that might be where you're going wrong….

Jamie
    Free Member

Alternatively just go to the Apps tab on your device in iTunes and tick which apps you want on it – it ain't hard!

glenh
    Free Member

Ah well, seems my years as a software engineer were wasted.
    Maybe if I had some design documentation….

enfht
    Free Member

What you need is iProfile

HTH

GrahamS

Ah well, seems my years as a software
    engineer were wasted.

That's your problem right there.

You find mounting something as an external device and manually copying files to the appropriate folders to be more intuitive than just ticking the box next to the apps you want.

I'm led to believe that normal people* do not think this way.

* aka "mundanes" or "muggles"

GrahamS

What you need is iProfile

What you need is a new joke.

Preferably one that is funny.

glenh
    Free Member

I'm led to believe that normal people* do not think this way.

* aka "mundanes" or "muggles"

lol

rs
    Free Member

how about iMTFU

enfht
    Free Member

iTarzan, you GrahamS 😆

GrahamS

iTarzan, you GrahamS

That's actually a bit better. At least you made the effort to pun on the "i" bit.

iGetYourCoat.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stupid iTunes!’ is closed to new replies.